Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because someone seemed to suggest that the club should have magically gotten a proven striker for around £300-500k, when I asked who, someone posted a picture of Le Fondre. I wanted to point out that we've already had a striker who had just as good a striker rate, and another currently who has a better one this season.

All the ones I listed were avaliable on free transfers/nominal fees at one point.

All the ones I listed were avaliable on free transfers/nominal fees at one point.

The key word is proven. There are plenty of strikers going for free or nominal fees each season, the vast majority don't end up doing much. If we're talking about proven quality, it's not that easy. That's the whole point here. Yes, there are players like Rhodes who years ago before anyone thought much of them would have been relatively cheap, but now cost what... £8 mil wasn't it?!

I've seen him miss plenty of good opportunities in his time here.

His goal scoring record here is something like 6 in 28, with 1 of them being miles offside. Add to that his entire career goal scoring record, we're clutching at straws a bit hoping he will be a regular finisher.

Thought he did well against Forest, more so after about 37 minutes when it was changed as it was obvious Ward was too far away to link up. Another look at the highlights programme bears this out imo.

The key word is proven. There are plenty of strikers going for free or nominal fees each season, the vast majority don't end up doing much. If we're talking about proven quality, it's not that easy. That's the whole point here. Yes, there are players like Rhodes who years ago before anyone thought much of them would have been relatively cheap, but now cost what... £8 mil wasn't it?!

Sammon was hardly proven though, sub at a Prem team and half a decent season at SPL.

I really do wonder whether the Sammon-haters have watched much football... Or maybe they just don't consider anyone other than Messi to be good enough for Derby (I might agre with that one to be honest...)

Sammon had a mare in the first 40 mins on saturday... why? playing up on his own against 2 defenders both of who are bigger and stronger than any other player on the pitch maybe? No-one from our side anywhere near him? could be that?

He holds up the ball well, he links up play well, and he has chipped in with a few goals...

Question for the doubters: How come Shefki Kuqi was lauded and Sammon is getting berated?

Not a doubter of sammon i think he is good but Shefki Kuqi was in a different formation.

Sammon

Ward Hendrick Bryson Hughes Coutts

Whereas Kuqi had much more support

Kuqi

Commons Bueno Cywka

Savage Bailey (or green addison etc)

Kuqi had people running off him left right and centre Sammon doesn't Coutts isnt a winger and Hendrick cant pick a pass like Bueno. Sammon is operating under a different system.

Not a doubter of sammon i think he is good but Shefki Kuqi was in a different formation.

Whereas Kuqi had much more support

Erm... Yes... that was partly my point...

Sammon is at least as good as Kuqi (I think better) but the lack of support around him is making his life difficult...

I really do wonder whether the Sammon-haters have watched much football... Or maybe they just don't consider anyone other than Messi to be good enough for Derby (I might agre with that one to be honest...)

Sammon had a mare in the first 40 mins on saturday... why? playing up on his own against 2 defenders both of who are bigger and stronger than any other player on the pitch maybe? No-one from our side anywhere near him? could be that?

He holds up the ball well, he links up play well, and he has chipped in with a few goals...

Question for the doubters: How come Shefki Kuqi was lauded and Sammon is getting berated?

He had a mare because he cant control the football when it's played into him, it's that simple. He doesnt hold up the ball well at all, for every time he brings it down and finds a white shirt, he miscontrols it and loses possession.

People are making out as if the nearerst Derby player to him when we play 451 is about 40 yards away and he's surrounded by 5 opposition players. I admit that when we play 451 team mates need to get closer to him, but having a defender up your backside isnt an excuse for poor ball control, If he bought a high percentage of the ball into him under control, and then lost it due to lack of options then people might have a point, but that rarely happens.

It's not something that's going to improve, it's his natural ability, he's got poor technical ability, it's never going to get better, you've either got it or you havent.

Kuqi was no world beater, but at the peak of his career was higher than Sammon will ever achieve.

Kuqi was no world beater, but at the peak of his career was higher than Sammon will ever achieve.

The "peak" of Kuqi's career was as a bit part player in a poor premier league team... which is, wait for it, exactly what Sammon was for Wigan... So... yeh, SOOOOOOO much better...

People are making out as if the nearerst Derby player to him when we play 451 is about 40 yards away and he's surrounded by 5 opposition players. I admit that when we play 451 team mates need to get closer to him, but having a defender up your backside isnt an excuse for poor ball control, If he bought a high percentage of the ball into him under control, and then lost it due to lack of options then people might have a point, but that rarely happens.

Very few players in the world can hold up a ball with 2 CBs breathing down their neck when the nearest player is 20 yards away...

When we play 4 5 1 he's up against 2 CBs meaning one can pressure him and the other can make the challenge...

He doesn't have pin-point control, but very few championship players do... In fact not a lot of Premier League players do...

Archived