Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't get what your point is comparing le fondres strike rate to theo's and savies'.

Because someone seemed to suggest that the club should have magically gotten a proven striker for around £300-500k, when I asked who, someone posted a picture of Le Fondre. I wanted to point out that we've already had a striker who had just as good a striker rate, and another currently who has a better one this season.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because someone seemed to suggest that the club should have magically gotten a proven striker for around £300-500k, when I asked who, someone posted a picture of Le Fondre. I wanted to point out that we've already had a striker who had just as good a striker rate, and another currently who has a better one this season.

So you'd have theo over le fondre?

Why not? I haven't seen him play much to be honest. Theo's problem is that he seems to only bring goals to the side, does Le Fondre actually do much apart from score?

I wouldn't know. But le fondre is definetly better than theo. I know he's better in the air. And despite his goals theo is awful. Le fondre is technically better as well.

Sammon for me has the potential to be a excellent player for us however at the moment i don't think we are using him correctly. I'm not convinced he is a targetman from what i have seen of him, he doesn't win enough headers nor hold up the ball on a consistent basis, hos decision making is ad hoc and he doesn't bully defenders at all. He definitely needs a striking partner alongside him as i don't think he's effective enough to be a lone striker, personally i'd make him stick to the opposition area when he isn't chasing the ball down.

So he cant win headers or hold the ball up, he doesnt make the right decision consistently and he definitely cant finish or be a regular goal threat.

You've got a strange description for a striker who is going to be excellent for us.

I wouldn't know. But le fondre is definetly better than theo. I know he's better in the air. And despite his goals theo is awful. Le fondre is technically better as well.

Why is he better then? If we're just listing qualities, Theo is certainly quicker. If both score at the same rate and you don't know much about the other parts of his game, how is he "better"?

Why is he better then? If we're just listing qualities, Theo is certainly quicker. If both score at the same rate and you don't know much about the other parts of his game, how is he "better"?

I just said, he's better in the air and technically better. What do you want me to do, make stuff up? Le fondre is currently keeping reading in touching distance of survival in the PL. I doubt theo could score in the PL.

So he cant win headers or hold the ball up, he doesnt make the right decision consistently and he definitely cant finish or be a regular goal threat.

You've got a strange description for a striker who is going to be excellent for us.

He may well able to finish on a regular basis if he is given chances to do so hence me saying i would make him stick to the opposition area when we are on the ball, off the ball he can chase down defenders. Nothing strange about what i put.

I just said, he's better in the air and technically better. What do you want me to do, make stuff up? Le fondre is currently keeping reading in touching distance of survival in the PL. I doubt theo could score in the PL.

I didn't realise that being good in the air and technically better were universal indicators for better players... my mistake.

I didn't realise that being good in the air and technically better were universal indicators for better players... my mistake.

Jesus you're condecending.

You asked what makes le fondre better than theo. I answered you. If you think theo is better or as good as theo then you are a poor judge of a footballer. They had the same strike rate last season, stats don't tell the whole story.

He may well able to finish on a regular basis if he is given chances to do so hence me saying i would make him stick to the opposition area when we are on the ball, off the ball he can chase down defenders. Nothing strange about what i put.

I've seen him miss plenty of good opportunities in his time here.

His goal scoring record here is something like 6 in 28, with 1 of them being miles offside. Add to that his entire career goal scoring record, we're clutching at straws a bit hoping he will be a regular finisher.

Jesus you're condecending.

You asked what makes le fondre better than theo. I answered you. If you think theo is better or as good as theo then you are a poor judge of a footballer. They had the same strike rate last season, stats don't tell the whole story.

You answered nothing. You said he was better in the air and better technically and call it so. He most probably is better, but that and playing for a team in the Premier does not on it's own mean he's a better player. I don't know, but personally if you "wouldn't know". The fact that you admitted that you "wouldn't know" then immediately declared Le Fondre better to me seems a bit odd. Yes, he's probably a better player, and yes, stats don't tell the full story, but to me to say that you know the full story after saying you don't seems bizarre.

His goal scoring record here is something like 6 in 28, with 1 of them being miles offside. Add to that his entire career goal scoring record, we're clutching at straws a bit hoping he will be a regular finisher.

Perhaps but we might as well try and find out, using him as a targetman hasn't worked for me. In his defence he's had some matches for us where he's had no chances created for him at all, yesterday being a prime example (then again we created sod all). At Wigan the majority of his appearances were from the bench. Honestly though I'll concede my gut instinct says your right that we will be clutching at straws over him coming good on the goalscoring front, so i say create chance after chance for him on a regular basis until if or when we get a striker who can find the net on a regular basis. The way he's being used right now isn't helping on the goals front.

I never saw Sammon as a "regular finisher". More of the guy who does a lot of work up front and messes with the defence a bit. Yes, he's not got the best of touches and seems a bit poor in the air for someone of his height, but he gets through a lot of work and brings other into play, that should be his role. As long as he has someone who feed off him he'll do a job. I don't know, if I remember correctly I think I said when he arrived that I'd be happy with 8+ goals from him with the type of player he is, and as things stand he'll probably smash that amount at least.

it all depends on what you judge a striker on.

if you judge by goals per minute theo is just as good

if you judge by all round play le fondre I'd better

if you judge by league they play in le fondre is better

if you judge by value for money theo is better as he was on a free

if you judge by swag theo is gangster

if you buy a striker first and foremost they have to give 100% and score goals. thats just how I judge a striker anyway. everyone's opinions differ.

You answered nothing. You said he was better in the air and better technically and call it so. He most probably is better, but that and playing for a team in the Premier does not on it's own mean he's a better player. I don't know, but personally if you "wouldn't know". The fact that you admitted that you "wouldn't know" then immediately declared Le Fondre better to me seems a bit odd. Yes, he's probably a better player, and yes, stats don't tell the full story, but to me to say that you know the full story after saying you don't seems bizarre.

What do you mean I've answered nothing? You said what makes him better than theo and I answered. what are you on about?

it all depends on what you judge a striker on.

if you judge by goals per minute theo is just as good

if you judge by all round play le fondre I'd better

if you judge by league they play in le fondre is better

if you judge by value for money theo is better as he was on a free

if you judge by swag theo is gangster

if you buy a striker first and foremost they have to give 100% and score goals. thats just how I judge a striker anyway. everyone's opinions differ.

Does Le Fondre actually offer more in all round play though, this is what I'm curious about. I've heard he scores, but does he offer a lot to the team overall? Theo got as many assists as him last season, but that's not the whole story.

Also, why do people keep saying Theo arrived on a free?! He arrived for an [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/13338390]undisclosed fee[/url.

What do you mean I've answered nothing? You said what makes him better than theo and I answered. what are you on about?

You said he was better in the air and better technically then basically called it a day. I don't see that as answering anything as being better in the air and better technically doesn't always make a better player. I didn't want attributes, I wanted some description about what he does for a team. What does he do, does he hold it up and bring others into play, does it head it on for another striker, does he make runs wide and get it back in? What exactly does he do apart from score?

I never saw Sammon as a "regular finisher". More of the guy who does a lot of work up front and messes with the defence a bit. Yes, he's not got the best of touches and seems a bit poor in the air for someone of his height, but he gets through a lot of work and brings other into play, that should be his role. As long as he has someone who feed off him he'll do a job. I don't know, if I remember correctly I think I said when he arrived that I'd be happy with 8+ goals from him with the type of player he is, and as things stand he'll probably smash that amount at least.

I do agree he would be seen to better effect played alongside someone.

His role in the side is so specific due to the amount of weaknesses he has. He brings people into play about 50% of the time as the other 50% is him losing it.

Archived