Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's pick of the draw really whether you get a goalscorer for 300k or 2 million. Glenn Murray is a good example, banging them in, wasn't he free? Simon Cox, Sammon, Zigic.. none score goals prolifically.

It's alright saying Nige should have gone for him, him and him but there's a reason he and about 20 other Championship managers didn't.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should have signed Le Fonz when we had the chance.

When Reading signed him it was a not a given that he would be a success. Had only done it in league 2. The champ is a huge step up so was a risky signing to make at the time but has paid off for us. I can definately see why we didnt sign him though.

Clough likes the Sammon and Ward partnership. And i think it could blossom in the second half of the season. How many has Ward played this season? 10? He's got himself 6 goals and 6 assists in that game time. So he contributes to a goal a game, not a bad ratio. Him and Sammon will do well. Its just keeping Wardy fit

Which is the same Adam le fondre who didn't get much game time.

Adam Le Fondre scored 12 goals in 1874 minutes in the Championship last season.

Steve Davies scored 11 in 1712.

For those playing along at home, that is exactly the same minutes per goal for both players at 156 minutes per goal.

For extra credit Theo has scored 8 in 1166 this season, which is actually 146 minutes per goal, better than Le Fondre or Davies last season.

We should have signed Le Fonz when we had the chance.

What,as an impact sub? He doesn't seem to start too many games for Reading,which to me indicates weaknesses in other areas of his game.BM's no mug .

What,as an impact sub? He doesn't seem to start too many games for Reading,which to me indicates weaknesses in other areas of his game.BM's no mug .

He was used as an impact sub most of last season in the champ as well so isn't actually a proven goalscorer at all.

He was used as an impact sub most of last season in the champ as well so isn't actually a proven goalscorer at all.

Proven goalscorer,but maybe a lazy one!

There are loads of strikers we missed out on.

You look at Gary Hooper as a prime example. I agree with Albert, when someone like Hooper was at a lower club ie Ssausagehorpe yes he scored but we didn't cough up the extra i think 250k needed to buy him. Now at the time Celtic were not interested in him and there wasnt up roar that we didnt bid the extra needed.

Only once he had gone to Celtic for more money than we bidded btw, did everyody start saying oh we missed out.

The problem is at a club like Derby we cannot spend 1 million plus on a striker from league 1 or 2 it is too risky. The richer clubs can, one that has gone well Rickie lambert 1 million plus from Bristol Rovers or Charlie austin. However there are ones that have gone less well, vardy at Leicester. The examples dont matter but the point is who was 100% sure Le Fondre was gonna bag in the premiership some people say they may have but realistically no one did. At Derby we cannot afford to take the risk.

The key is before they are proven.

Austin - good scouting from Bournemouth

le Fondre - good form at Stockport and Rochdale, before moving to Rotherham

Graham - good strike rate at Carlisle United

Rhodes - decent record at loan spells from Ispwich who released him

Not forgetting Grant Holt, Steve Morison etc.

Adam Le Fondre scored 12 goals in 1874 minutes in the Championship last season.

Steve Davies scored 11 in 1712.

For those playing along at home, that is exactly the same minutes per goal for both players at 156 minutes per goal.

For extra credit Theo has scored 8 in 1166 this season, which is actually 146 minutes per goal, better than Le Fondre or Davies last season.

I see... Good for you, you can do math!

The point is that's still not a lot of game time both le fondre and theo had a lot of sub apppearences and savies was out for a few months with a fractured skull. If these three srikers had the same game time as someone like lambert or an ever present they probably wouldve scored more. Especially le fondre.

Sammon for me has the potential to be a excellent player for us however at the moment i don't think we are using him correctly. I'm not convinced he is a targetman from what i have seen of him, he doesn't win enough headers nor hold up the ball on a consistent basis, hos decision making is ad hoc and he doesn't bully defenders at all. He definitely needs a striking partner alongside him as i don't think he's effective enough to be a lone striker, personally i'd make him stick to the opposition area when he isn't chasing the ball down.

It's still too early to say.

I still feel as though Clough is trying to figure out the best way to utilise him and Sammon hasn't had the benefit of a settled side or a regular strike partner, which will be a factor in his inconsistent performances.

Some games he looks unplayable. Some games he looks like he was the inspiration for the board game, Buckaroo. Some games I can see why Clough wanted him here, other times I wonder why Clough bothered.

I'm pretty certain we're on a hiding to nothing playing him as a lone striker though. Defences won't get many easier afternoons when that is the case. He has the work rate, the physical attributes but I don't think he has the technique and footballing brain to match. You look at players like Lambert and Holt and they don't look as uncomfortable receiving the ball into feet as Sammon does.

But again, he may just need more time to settle and build an understanding with the players around him. Personally, I want to see how he performs alongside Ward, Robinson, Jacobs or even a new signing for an extended period before I can say conclusively whether he's been a success or not.

I see... Good for you, you can do math!

The point is that's still not a lot of game time both le fondre and theo had a lot of sub apppearences and savies was out for a few months with a fractured skull. If these three srikers had the same game time as someone like lambert or an ever present they probably wouldve scored more. Especially le fondre.

Rickie Lambert scored 27 goals in 3627 minutes. If you extrapolate Le Fondre or Davies' goals per minute to that time you'd get 23 goals. That's actually pretty good. I don't get what you're getting at though.

Austin - good scouting from Bournemouth

le Fondre - good form at Stockport and Rochdale, before moving to Rotherham

Graham - good strike rate at Carlisle United

Rhodes - decent record at loan spells from Ispwich who released him

Not forgetting Grant Holt, Steve Morison etc.

Your point is? Are you saying that they were proven? As I said, Steve Davies strike rate last year was pretty much identical to Le Fondre in terms of minutes on the pitch, and Theo's this season is actually better than either of them.

Rickie Lambert scored 27 goals in 3627 minutes. If you extrapolate Le Fondre or Davies' goals per minute to that time you'd get 23 goals. That's actually pretty good. I don't get what you're getting at though.

I don't get what your point is comparing le fondres strike rate to theo's and savies'.

Archived