Connor Sammon Success or Failure?

upinsideyouhead

Connor Sammon Success or Failure?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I was having a chat with a friend about Connor Sammon jumping but not going to win the ball (which loads of people have been moaning about) this was my theory.

When sammon goes for the header if he wins it the way we play means there is no one to win the ball behind him running onto it. So instead he puts a little bit of pressure onto their CB's to cause the header to go down and Hendrick/Hughes will collect it, or back to our CB's who will bring it down and play, or the header will go out wide where anyone can win it.

I dont know if he has been told to do this as we start quite alot of games with 1 up top.

What are everyone elses thoughts as to whether he should be trying to win the headers even though no body will run onto it behind????

I was having a chat with a friend about Connor Sammon jumping but not going to win the ball (which loads of people have been moaning about) this was my theory.

When sammon goes for the header if he wins it the way we play means there is no one to win the ball behind him running onto it. So instead he puts a little bit of pressure onto their CB's to cause the header to go down and Hendrick/Hughes will collect it, or back to our CB's who will bring it down and play, or the header will go out wide where anyone can win it.

I dont know if he has been told to do this as we start quite alot of games with 1 up top.

What are everyone elses thoughts as to whether he should be trying to win the headers even though no body will run onto it behind????

Good theory I imagine its probably true

A big success considering the state of his first touch and finishing.

I don't necessarily want him to score more goals, just be a better target man. If he performs better then us, as a team, will only be better, we'll create more goals indirectly.

A big success considering the state of his first touch and finishing.

I don't necessarily want him to score more goals, just be a better target man. If he performs better then us, as a team, will only be better, we'll create more goals indirectly.

Interesting point there. I wonder if Clough's plan doesn't revolve round an out and out goalscorer but more of a team ethic of midfielders sharing the goals with a free flowing style. late runs into the box by 3 or 4 players rather than an out right goal poacher.

We must the only club to have a set of strikers who have no ball control (Sammon, Theo, Ball, Tyson)

I don't think there are many good footballers playing as a striker in the Championship.

Not sure I agree with the notion that Sammon is unable to control a football.

He could do better but he's shown he can. Did well holding the ball up at Charlton and getting it out wide to Coutts.

It's probably not his strength but to say he's unable to do it seems a little wide of the mark.

I don't think there are many good footballers playing as a striker in the Championship.

Good point, this season isn't a brilliant one for strikers. Charlie Austin is a decent striker, clearly, but the other top scorers are just average forwards having decent seasons.

Good point, this season isn't a brilliant one for strikers. Charlie Austin is a decent striker, clearly, but the other top scorers are just average forwards having decent seasons.

I think speed counts for a lot in this league - strength, power and most of all how good your midfield is.

Billy Sharp has 9 goals in Forest side, but that is a Forest side that plays dangerously disgusting football... he'd get a lot more in Derby colours.

I think our strikers would struggle in Forests side to be honest, they don't seem to create enough and aim for diagonal balls more often than not.

I think speed counts for a lot in this league - strength, power and most of all how good your midfield is.

Billy Sharp has 9 goals in Forest side, but that is a Forest side that plays dangerously disgusting football... he'd get a lot more in Derby colours.

I think our strikers would struggle in Forests side to be honest, they don't seem to create enough and aim for diagonal balls more often than not.

Our strikers would have a mare for Forest!

In this league, a striker's form is often more down to the players around him than his own ability, otherwise they're heading for the Premier League. Theo scores when we play well and create loads and I bet he'd look even better for Cardiff. Billy Sharp's form at Donny was helped by having decent football played behind him, and the fact that because he was the greatest player they've ever had, he had a team built around him.

Havent seen them play but O'Driscoll always played good football for Donny and Bournemouth, cant imagine his sides aiming long diagonal balls.

Obviously different under McGliesh.

Havent seen them play but O'Driscoll always played good football for Donny and Bournemouth, cant imagine his sides aiming long diagonal balls.

Obviously different under McGliesh.

Watched them against us, Bolton and Leicester - they were very much bypassing the midfield, but seems like the back 4 were encouraged to pass it.

At home against us most of their passes found the forehead of Jake Buxton - embarrassing really.

They tried a lot of diagonal balls from the full backs, both halford and harding are ***** though, so could of just been against the managers wish but seemed to happen far too often.

Archived