Jonjo Shelvey England Call Up

Day

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correction, Roy won't pick players in their mid-thirties, I remembered Carrick was in the squad which made me look it up, Gary Neville said this in reply to the Rio situation.

So yes, Osman would be a decent shout although at 31 his time has still probably gone now

It's amazing how many mediocre players have call ups.. No one can convince me that Trevor Sinclair, Darius Vassell, Paul Koncheski, David Nugent or even our own Seth were better than Leon Osman..

Ableit Osman isn't exactly a worldbeater but he's far better than a few other dross we've had over the years.. I guess his problem is that he's a late peaker and was clearly overlooked by McLaren and Capello..

I also think our lack of friendlies didn't help so when it came to selection it was based purely on reputation. If Osman was French, German or Italian he would have been capped by now..

Bit of an overreaction here. We could call up Osman who is the only better player available but honestly, what is the point? His time has gone. He won't be in the World Cup squad and certainly won't be at the next Euros.

Time to move on. Yes, Shelvey isn't brilliant. But that's what we've got. Get used to it.

Strange that you quote ferguson as a manager that would have won something with these legends, yet the current crop that you call the "Bolton" you single out none other than wellbeck.

Do I think the next generation will do better? Well I tell you what, i will have you a bet that they will equal or better the number of cups the legends you quoted won.

http://robinbrown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/double-facepalm1

Bit of an overreaction here. We could call up Osman who is the only better player available but honestly, what is the point? His time has gone. He won't be in the World Cup squad and certainly won't be at the next Euros.

Time to move on. Yes, Shelvey isn't brilliant. But that's what we've got. Get used to it.

What is the point?

Well, surely the point is that you pick your best available players to make up your squad. Why care about their age?

We live in the present and we should be selecting our best players. Who cares if they won't be able to play when the World Cup comes around. Deal with that then but first and foremost, let's make sure we're there.

This nonsense about blooding a squad in and getting them used to one another.

Shelvey is not good enough to play at international level and capping him may just damage his chances in the future should he not perform. Having said that, my 15 month old son should look OK against San Marino. Poland may be a little more tricky.

Osman is 31!!! Bloody heck!

Don't matter who's in the squad. If Shawcross is getting a game England must be *****.

"ooooh but he plays for an established PL side that played in an FA Cup final"

Yes, I've seen Stoke "play" in the FA Cup final. They have a few players that wouldnt get in any other team in the premiership. Well, maybe now Fat Sam is back.

Shawcross, Wilkinson, Huth, Shotton.... bloody hell. An established team in the best league in the world eh?

Team of thugs that park the bus, stick the tallest/strongest two blokes they can find up front and fire balls at them. Shawcross only comes out his area for a corner. Or to snap someone.

Disgrace.

What is the point?

Well, surely the point is that you pick your best available players to make up your squad. Why care about their age?

We live in the present and we should be selecting our best players. Who cares if they won't be able to play when the World Cup comes around. Deal with that then but first and foremost, let's make sure we're there.

This nonsense about blooding a squad in and getting them used to one another.

Shelvey is not good enough to play at international level and capping him may just damage his chances in the future should he not perform. Having said that, my 15 month old son should look OK against San Marino. Poland may be a little more tricky.

This isn't a World Cup, which is the most important competition our national side can play in. Shouldn't every game not in the finals of a tournament be in preparation for the finals? We've got to be working torwards Rio, not getting anal about the side we pick against San Marino. Of course their age is relevant. Jonjo Shelvey isn't a very good player but he could well be going to Rio. Who would you rather have in the World Cup side? A Jonjo Shelvey who's never played a senior game for England or one who's gradually been blooded in and knows his team mates?

There's too much of this "get qualified first, then deal with the finals" attitude in the England set up, because we go into tournaments with the side that got us there and we act surprised that we don't get the same outcome as we do in the qualifying stages.

This isn't a World Cup, which is the most important competition our national side can play in. Shouldn't every game not in the finals of a tournament be in preparation for the finals? We've got to be working torwards Rio, not getting anal about the side we pick against San Marino. Of course their age is relevant. Jonjo Shelvey isn't a very good player but he could well be going to Rio. Who would you rather have in the World Cup side? A Jonjo Shelvey who's never played a senior game for England or one who's gradually been blooded in and knows his team mates?

There's too much of this "get qualified first, then deal with the finals" attitude in the England set up, because we go into tournaments with the side that got us there and we act surprised that we don't get the same outcome as we do in the qualifying stages.

An away match in Poland is a wholly different proposition to a home match against San Marino. The squad he's selected is for both games. I guess you didn't check the fixture list.

This business of gradually blooding a player in. I don't really get it. Michael Owen's finest game for England was arguably his debut. I don't think it makes a jot of difference.

I would sooner the manager pick his best squad at the time irrespective of age or number of caps.

Am surprised though as you obviously feel that Shelvey is of International class. I beg to differ.

How many international class players do we have nowadays?

if someone can come up with a very good England side I will happily listen but I think we're arguing about nothing really, there isn't any untapped quality for England knocking around, players like Osman are too old now, shame, but true.

Wilshere and Cleverly show flashes of hope. Well, Cleverly for United sometimes shows flashes of hope. Dare I compare him to a Sneijder? Probably not. But he might be alright.

The Ox just needs schooling. Better than Theo 'I'll leave if I'm not a striker and end up at Sunderland because Arsenal is the best I'll get' Walcott.

Well, I'm done. I was hoping to name a few. I've got one injured but very talented player. One inconsistent youngster. One very raw winger. And Rooney and Hart.

The future isn't too bright right now. Maybe Hughes playing for England isn't as outrages as we thought. There's a good chance for Theo at this rate.

Btw, has anyone seen the rubbish Grant Holt has been saying? Jesus Christ, who does he think he is. How did that transfer request go Grant? Any takers? Shush.

An away match in Poland is a wholly different proposition to a home match against San Marino. The squad he's selected is for both games. I guess you didn't check the fixture list.

This business of gradually blooding a player in. I don't really get it. Michael Owen's finest game for England was arguably his debut. I don't think it makes a jot of difference.

I would sooner the manager pick his best squad at the time irrespective of age or number of caps.

Am surprised though as you obviously feel that Shelvey is of International class. I beg to differ.

I'm aware we're playing Poland too, and I'm assuming that Shelvey is unlikely to play then and is going to be introduced against San Marino.

How does one player's debut in 1998 change the way we introduce young players? Roy Hodgson is one of the most experienced men in the world of football and surely he knows what he's doing with introducing new players. Did you see Holland in the Euros? They played a young left-back, Jetro Willems, who hadn't played for them before. He had an absolutely torrid time of it and was so obviously out of his depth.

I want us to do as best we can in the World Cup. I'd lose 12-0 in Poland if it meant we got to the semi-finals. If we were to put our best XI, over half of them won't be involved in the World Cup, which is two years away. Two years is already too soon to build a new squad - but we have to. So why delay any longer? Or should we throw a new team together in 2013, have them play half a dozen games, and expect them to get out of their group?

Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerard, Leon Osman, Rio Ferdinand...picking one or two of these names is fine so the young players have some experience around them and someone to learn from. But their day is gone.

Also, I'm re-reading my posts in this thread and I definitely never labelled Shelvey a good player. But the fact of the matter is, that's our future, whether we like it or not. If players like Shelvey are going to be in the England team, we're always going to be the underdogs. So learn how to be underdogs.

Worse case scenario for me would be to smash our group in the WC qualifiers playing Carrick, Lampard and Gerard and for them all to have retired completely or retired from international football in 2014, and to have Wilshere or Rodwell injured (which happens a lot) and having Cleverley and Shelvey as our two midfield options. Eurgh.

It's brave, and although I don't like Shelvey much, I think Hodgson is doing things the right way.

For the last 3 or 4 years we've relied on players that are past it/close to being past it, constantly settling for quarter finals. It would be so easy for us to do the same now but he's obviously realised that we need to look at young players and work out who could be future England regulars and the only way to do that is by giving them a game.

Is Shelvey good enough for England? How many times have people seen him play? 10? 15? I haven't got a f*cking clue if he's good enough, so I'll wait and see how he performs and make a judgement then. But I know exactly how good Lampard and Gerrard are - good enough to get us to a second round or quarter final. That's it.

Don't really buy in this b*llocks that Shawcross is a thug - the bloke cried when he ran off the pitch after being sent off after that tackle on Aaron Ramsey! He's a good defender in a brutes team. If Wilkinson had got the nod I'd be annoyed, but not Shawcross. But it's easy to say when he plays for Stoke and has a skin head.

If you take out Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Carrick (they won't be round much longer) we're not left with much. We need to try new things, new personnel that can be the future of the national team. My guess is over the next 18 months we see alot of players win 1 cap and none again, but at least it's new, something different.

Better than the Old Boys Club mentality under Eriksson and Capello.

Wilshere and Cleverly show flashes of hope. Well, Cleverly for United sometimes shows flashes of hope. Dare I compare him to a Sneijder? Probably not. But he might be alright.

The Ox just needs schooling. Better than Theo 'I'll leave if I'm not a striker and end up at Sunderland because Arsenal is the best I'll get' Walcott.

Well, I'm done. I was hoping to name a few. I've got one injured but very talented player. One inconsistent youngster. One very raw winger. And Rooney and Hart.

The future isn't too bright right now. Maybe Hughes playing for England isn't as outrages as we thought. There's a good chance for Theo at this rate.

Btw, has anyone seen the rubbish Grant Holt has been saying? Jesus Christ, who does he think he is. How did that transfer request go Grant? Any takers? Shush.

Really, the future is not bright, I would agree, we have Hart, the Ox, Rooney and Ashley Cole are the only players that would trouble many of the top international squads in the world.

As for Grant Hoult......ideas.....above....station.....??? yep..i think so...

Archived