'Sir' Bobby Moore

daib0

I think it’s true to say that it’s usually difficult to have chat & banter with West Ham fans – on most of their forums anyway, so it was a breath of fresh air to encounter (as a Reading fan) the “Cockney Boys Chat” forum - a Hammers site that LIKES to chat with opposing fans! And a great sense of humour they've got too!

Now they've just decided to make a campaign to have 'Sir' Bobby Moore granted a posthumous knighthood, and are calling for support. The least we can do is to add a few names - dead easy process too, will take you barely 15 seconds.

If you feel able to sign - and why not? - please mention it in the thread below, for it'd be very useful for me reporting back to the Cockney Boys ... like I said, finally a nice Hammers site

daib0

Here's their presentation:

Sir Bobby Moore

We call him 'Sir' Bobby on the Cockney Boys Chat Forum, we've always believed that he should have been knighted. A gentleman on and off the football pitch, until recently the highest capped England captain and the man that lead our country to glory in 1966.

After reading this it seems we are not alone

England news

Campbell: Moore deserves knighthood

September 5, 2012

EmailPrint

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

Bobby Moore is deserving of a posthumous knighthood, according to Bobby Campbell.

Even though a statue of the World Cup-winning captain has pride of place at the new Wembley stadium, Campbell believes Moore hasn't received the recognition he is due.

"To be Bobby Moore's manager and mentor for the time that I managed at Fulham, when he was a player there, I can safely say that he was the best professional I ever managed. If you told him there was a game in Outer Mongolia on Christmas Eve, kick off two o'clock, he would be there at one o'clock boots in hand. He was never late.

"Everything he ever did was immaculate, whether that was in training or in a match - it didn't matter to him. That's the way he was both on and off the field."

Moore, who died of cancer in 1993, was well known for his polite nature, even when he was alleged to have stolen items from a jeweller's in Bogota, Colombia, prior to the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. The defender was detained by police for four days, and was eventually cleared of any wrong doing.

"His manner and his character were top class and he represented West Ham and England as the ultimate pro. He even wiped his hand before shaking the Queen's hand before he received the World Cup trophy and he dealt with the so called 'stealing of the watch' with such dignity.

"As for reaching 100 caps, that in itself is such a wonderful milestone and anyone who makes it to 100 caps deserves to have done so, and that includes David Beckham, another great player. Let's face it David Beckham hasn't done football any harm at all."

Please sign , Bobby deserves it

[url=http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sir-bobby-moore]http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sir-bobby-moore

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived