Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do think that this summer will be the real test of GSE. In previous seasons they have not 'asset stripped', ie, sold players and sent the cash over the Atlantic, because we had pretty much no saleable assets. This year we probably have ten players who could be sold for decent fees.

Clearly some players will be sold - that's football. What is important is what happens to the money. If Nigel gets it all, I may have to start to reconsider my attitude to the current owners - which is probably best described as sceptical, rather than anti. If Nigel gets virtually none of the proceeds then we really should try to hound Glick and co out of the club. However, I suspect that what will happen will be that Nigel gets around half the cash, which will pacify the fans, and Mr Appleby we use the rest to pay down some of the 'not expected to be repaid internal loan'. Given that all the fees will be 'undisclosed' we'll never actually know what happened anyway.

Clough always uses the "sell if we can find someone better and cheaper" method, and i dont think there are many Left sided CBs better than Shackell at this level. Matt Mills cost £5m and that was with a year left on his deal only

Where does is it say we are looking to sell anybody. It just says that offers will be considered , oh and the bid for Shackell has been turned down.

I wouldn't be upset if Bailey goes, or Croft or Addison or even Maguire which are the players mentioned so this story doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I agree I can't see any problem with anything thats been said today, Shackell obviously has a price if were offered anything over 1.5m we could replace him and put 0.5m towards a better striker. Cloughs record of spending money on centre backs so far has been Barker and Shackell so I'm pretty confident that if he does sell he's got somebody lined up.

Why sell him for £1.5m? He's had an excellent season and he's under contract. We should be looking for at least £2m as a bare minimum before we even consider an offer. And if it's a money bags team like Leicester or a team with parachute payments, we should take them to the cleaners or no sale. I find it quite bizarre that people are so deparate for us to spend untold millions on other clubs players, but massively undervalue the players we have here.

Yeh 1.5m is probably too little, I'd agree it should probably be over 2m at least. If Clough is as tight for money as he seems to be he'd jump at the chance to reinvest the 2m along with money from other fringe players, assuming it would all be reinvested.

It's nice to be in a position where we do actually have players with value, I can't remember the last time we made money on a player.

Well why sell him if we're going to be pushing for playoffs next season especially when he's the only out and out proven championship quality CD player we've got ( no disrespect to ob bucko etc ) direct temporary captain replacement for barks this doesn't make any sense!

Or is schacks the player that can only stay at a club for 1 season?

Shackell is a good solid Championship defender, he probably isn't good enough to make the step-up to the Premier (if he was someone would have taken him there already given his age). Good solid Championship defenders can be had for around £750,000-£1,000,000 as we have demonstrated over the past couple of summers (Barker and Shackell). If another club wants to offer significantly over this and the Clough is given the freedom to reinvest the money in a replacement and another player or two then I do not see a problem.

Personally, I would be happy to sell any of our players on this principle i.e. that the money received and saved wages allows us to buy a replacement and provides a surplus that is reinvested in wider team building. I would not be happy if the additional money raised was not reinvested.

I think many of our supporters get carried away with how good our players are, yes some have potential to develop further, but we are a mid-table Championship team with no real standout players. Our better players like Shackell, Barker, Ward, Bryson etc. would have been distinctly average in Derby teams of not so long ago.

I would be very disappointed if we sold Shackell. To my mind he's the lynchpin of our defence - generally makes good decisions when under pressure, puts the ball in the right places and covers / organises the other 3 well.

I haven't been to many Derby games this season, but the one that sticks out in my mind is away at Watford. They were all over us in the first half and if it hadn't been for Shacks we'd be 3-0 down by half time. I remember he made some mammoth tackles, crucial clearances, and compensated for Kilibane's all together dodgy defending.

He was the only player on the pitch that looked anything approaching premier quality.

After the good(ish) season just gone by, we should be looking to keep people like him, especially with Barker out with injury.

Archived