What Are You Listening To?

AndyB

On 09/03/2024 at 08:49, ramit said:

Hadn't heard that one, nice.

When I was in junior high in California in the early seventies I had a crazy Hawaiian teacher, Mr. Lee, yeah he wore dark glasses. 

One day Mr. Lee came to class with a record player, an amp and a couple of speakers, said the only thing we would learn that day was to fully take in and appreciate a great album with Sly & The Family Stone.  Before playing the record, Mr. Lee passed around some wacky baccy for those who wanted, which turned out to be everyone except innocent I.

That wasn’t how I expected the story to end!

Anything by 10cc, but Original Soundtrack is my favourite. 

Too-rye-ay by Dexey's Midnight Runners is a glorious slice of 80s pop. 

If you're doing Supertramp, go for Crime of the Century over Breakfast in America.

Creedance Clearwater Revival - a bit early, but get the Greatest Hits rather than individual albums.

The Who - just all of it! 

I so had the hots for Beth Gibbons. Thought she was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Beautiful live version of Roads, which 17 years on, feels even more relevant than it did then. 

Ever wondered what a Morcheeba - Massive Attack mash up might sound like. Nah, me neither, but as it turns out...

4 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I so had the hots for Beth Gibbons. Thought she was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Beautiful live version of Roads, which 17 years on, feels even more relevant than it did then. 

Ever wondered what a Morcheeba - Massive Attack mash up might sound like. Nah, me neither, but as it turns out...

Beth Gibbons you say?

ha! This actually popped up on my Youtube feed as I was grabbing the links for the above. I'd heard she was close to releasing something but didn't know it had already dropped. Will have a listen tonight. I can't imagine her ever topping her earlier work, but I'm definitely intrigued!

9 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

ha! This actually popped up on my Youtube feed as I was grabbing the links for the above. I'd heard she was close to releasing something but didn't know it had already dropped. Will have a listen tonight. I can't imagine her ever topping her earlier work, but I'm definitely intrigued!

It's actually an album from around 2001, in collaboration with Rustin's Man. Very folksy, but it's one I particularly like.