Formula One World Championship 2012

Hucknall Ram

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is Mclaren the only team with a normal looking front end? The others look like Andy Reid has been sat on them

The FIA have lowered the noses this year to prevent them hitting a driver in the head in a collison. The rest of the chassis, however, hasn't changed rules wise and most designers prefer a higher chassis for aero reasons, hence the compromise - low nose, high chassis, ugly step in between.

It's a bit strange that McLaren don't have one because the gap underneath the nose is highly beneficial in terms of airflow because you have lots of room to play with, so at first glance, it looks like they've missed a trick. But it's pretty clear they've gone down a different direction, and it seems to have worked.

Touring car racing is fun to watch however smashing up other cars is not actually how racing should be done and it's frowned upon in any other race series. It's because of entertainment value that its allowed. I enjoy F1 although it can get boring sometimes. My dad races and always has done so I am a massive motorsport fan as I have always spent my non-football weekends at a race track 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Touring car racing is fun to watch however smashing up other cars is not actually how racing should be done and it's frowned upon in any other race series. It's because of entertainment value that its allowed. I enjoy F1 although it can get boring sometimes. My dad races and always has done so I am a massive motorsport fan as I have always spent my non-football weekends at a race track 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Welcome to the thread! I'd say motorsport is my top sport, then football. What's your dad raced in?

I'd like to give a thumbs up to the BBC's "highlights".

Me and the Mrs were gutted about the BBC giving the rights away and were very apprehensive about not getting to see the whole race live.

I didn't make a note of how long the highlights went on for but we really didn't notice the action jump at all, it just seemed jam-packed with excitement!

Good race; good result; Red Bulls are still there but aren't going to dominate - in fact I don't think anyone will; this could be a classic season! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

interesting that the BBC have tried and failed to cling on to F1 and have given up completely on horse racing.The Grand National will now be screened on ch4 from next year as well as royal Ascot.Personally im pleased because ch4 do it better but the beeb are losing lots of sports.I detest F1 but its another popular sport thats gone onto a satellite channel and that cant be a good thing.

interesting that the BBC have tried and failed to cling on to F1 and have given up completely on horse racing.The Grand National will now be screened on ch4 from next year as well as royal Ascot.Personally im pleased because ch4 do it better but the beeb are losing lots of sports.I detest F1 but its another popular sport thats gone onto a satellite channel and that cant be a good thing.

Sure it's a good thing that they've given up on horse racing so they have more money to spend on sport instead.

Although Sports F1 is free at the moment to Sky Sports subscribers, I fear that they will sucker people in over a couple of seasons and then start to charge once people have got used to F1 being on Sky. I reckon we've got till the 2014 season and then charges will start to be applied, reasonably at first and then hiked over the following few seasons. Sorry to be cynical but this seems to be the pattern they follow with big money sports.

Great coverage though and I enjoyed the full practice sessions and the GP2 race.

The FIA have lowered the noses this year to prevent them hitting a driver in the head in a collison. The rest of the chassis, however, hasn't changed rules wise and most designers prefer a higher chassis for aero reasons, hence the compromise - low nose, high chassis, ugly step in between.

It's a bit strange that McLaren don't have one because the gap underneath the nose is highly beneficial in terms of airflow because you have lots of room to play with, so at first glance, it looks like they've missed a trick. But it's pretty clear they've gone down a different direction, and it seems to have worked.

read a report at the weekend suggesting that it works to the McLaren drivers advantage - the high part in front of the other drivers reduces their visibility of the front corners of the car and they can't see the actual nose.....

Welcome to the thread! I'd say motorsport is my top sport, then football. What's your dad raced in?

Back when I was younger he raced in Formula Ford, Mini Coopers (which he won the series), then Mini Metro's (with good old Barry McGuigan) and then more recently he now races a Peugout 306 in the tin tops series which is predominately ex touring cars. Lots of Honda Civics and Integra's in it. I love going along. I am also a massive lover of the two wheeled racing too! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Archived