Jake Buxton - Burton Albion

David

NIGEL Clough has revealed that Burton Albion centre-back Jake Buxton is one of numerous defenders Derby County are looking at for next season.

Clough worked with the 24-year-old at Burton and could return to his old club for the player.

Buxton came up through the system at Mansfield Town and played more than 160 times for the Stags.

He joined Burton last summer and helped them to win the Blue Square Premier and gain promotion to the Football League.

“Jake played at the back at Mansfield with Alex Baptiste who is now a regular in Blackpool’s side in the Championship,†said Clough.

"He (Baptiste) went from the Conference, and there are still one or two players who can achieve that.

“So when we sit down and go through our list, you never know.â€Â

[url=http://therams.co.uk/stories/rams-eyes-on-burton-defender-buxton]http://therams.co.uk/stories/rams-eyes-on-...defender-buxton

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never seen him play, I must admit it worries me slightly that he's 24 and not made the step up to league football yet, then again Clough has seen him first hand at Burton and if he thinks the lad can do better than the ***** we've got at the moment we have to trust his judgement, I just hope we get more experinenced defenders in alongside him.

• 2 weeks later...

Rams are closing in on deal to sign defender Buxton

Derby County hope to tie up a deal for Jake Buxton next week and manager Nigel Clough says the central defender has the desire to prove himself in the Championship.

Clough worked with Buxton at Burton Albion where the 24-year-old was a key figure in the Brewers winning promotion to the Football League this season.

He is out of contract this summer and therefore a free transfer.

“We know he’s a character and would relish the opportunity to play at this level,” said Clough.

"He’s certainly got the desire.

"He would walk across broken glass to come and train at Moor Farm every day. He is certainly one of those who won’t be taking it for granted.

"We hope to get Jake in and he will battle for a place with four, five or up to six centre-halves.

"He can play full-back, which he did at Burton at the start of the season, so he covers us all the way across the back four.

"He might not be an automatic first-choice at the moment or at the start of the season, but I’m sure with his character he’ll force his way in.

"It took him a few weeks to settle at Burton.

“If you talk to him, he’ll tell you that initially he thought he’d made the wrong decision to join Burton but a few months after that he was enjoying it more than any time he had played football.”

Buxton, born in Sutton-in-Ashfield, played more than 150 league games for Mansfield Town before he joined Burton last summer.

His former Albion team-mate John Brayford, now at Crewe, is also a target for Derby.

“John is under contract at Crewe and is on a list of many players that we’ve got, and many defenders, some of whom are free transfers,” said Clough.

"We’ll have to judge if it’s wise really to go after him or to go after some of the free transfers first.

“But he is a good young player, although there are many out there.”

[url=http://therams.co.uk/stories/rams-are-closing-in-on-deal-to-sign-defender-buxton]http://therams.co.uk/stories/rams-are-clos...defender-buxton

Yep he has signed a one year deal.

Jake Buxton today agreed to sign for Derby County.

The 24-year-old centre-half will join the Rams on a free transfer when his contract at Burton Albion expires next month.

"It's a dream come true, and I am still dreaming now," said Buxton who was Burton's player of the season and a key figure in the team that has won promotion to the Football League.

Rams manager Nigel Clough said: "Jake's attitude is first class and we hope he will surprise a few people.

"He is one of those lads who will put his body on the line for the team. Although he has not got experience at this level, he will make up for that with desire and heart

just hope he goes to prove us doubters wrong!

i really do hope nigel turns out to be a genius with his decisions, but what with this chap from burton, the defender they are chasing at the mighty crewe and the winger from norwich its hardly exciting times ahead is it?

will pride park be full to the rafters with more of these glamour signings?

Archived