Non-Derby County games thread

ANGERMAN1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shearer says instead of giving Cole a fine they should ban him from England's huge clash with San Marino.

Alan, you can pick my punishments from now on instead of the missus.

Is this the same Shearer that kicked Neil Lennon in the face and got let off by the FA because he was the England captain?

I hope whoever Blackburn's new boss is he's worse than Kean.

Blackburns biggest attendance of the season turned up yesterday after Kean's departure. 17,000 plus crowd witnessed the 1-0 defeat to Wolves.

Ahem. lol.

"Brad Friedel's record of 320 consecutive league matches comes to an end today as Hugo Lloris starts for Tottenham against Aston Villa."

Stupid. Friedel is brilliant. Why change?

Is it something stupid like the first league match he's missed in 8 years?

Barca are so good but have a few weaknesses.. Without David Villa they have no natural goalscorer other than Messi.. Without Abidal they lack height at set-pieces and a reliable leftback (Alba is suspect defensively and Adriano drifts out of position).. Without Puyol they lack a goalthreat from set-pieces and his natural leadership, and finally without Pique they lack that defender to bring the ball out of defence and beyond the midfield..

I didn't think the Barca team that started yesterday was as good as their 2008 or their 2010 side.. That 2008 side still ranks as the probably the best clubside I've ever seen.. Having a trio of Henry and Eto'o (both in their prime) plus Messi and Iniesta, Xavi and Yaya Toure behind is just a dreamteam.. Their defence was also the same as Abidal, Puyol, Pique and Dani Alves it's no wonder they completed the treble at ease and battered everyone in Europe..

The 2010 side that included David Villa, Pedro and Busquets in place of Yaya, Eto'o and Henry was also just as good but perhaps had a little less goals in them although Messi improved considerably playing down the middle..

Take a look at yesterdays team and Macherano, Alba, Fabregas, Adriano, Montoya were all playing it seems that the Barca team has declined abit.. It's good to have strength in depth but Barca still possess all the players from the 2010 side but can never get them all fit enough to play at the same time..

I wouldn't like to say the Barca era is coming to an end, it clearly isn't.. But I think we've already seen the best Barca sides in 2008/2010 and with the likes of Xavi, Villa, Puyol, Abidal, Valdes all in their 30s I think they've already reached their peak.. Xavi and Puyol in particular struggle to play 3 games a week nowadays..

As for Real Madrid.. They're amazing and I don't think they can buy many players (from anyone other than Barca) that would improve them.. They lack a worldclass RB and perhaps another CB has Pepe can be unreliable.. But in midfield and uptop who can they possibly get to improve them? In that Real team Benzema is an absolute beast and Di Maria is one of the best attacking wingers in the world.. Only Yaya Toure instead of Khedida perhaps, other than that it's a near perfect team aswell

A worrying thought for Barca Bris, what happens when Xavi and Puyol's legs go. Iniesta is no spring chicken. Villa is 31? In the next 5 years who do you bring in to replace these players.

Fabregas not in the same class

Thiago not in the same class

Bartara?

Do they go buy Silva? YaYa Toure said he'll go back if he gets chance.

They'll always be good. But it was a unique moment for them to have the best players at their peaks at the same time.

Barca won't have a side to match the one of Pep's reign. People won't say 'this is the best side ever' again. They're past that?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived