Let's Talk al-Notts Rovers

David

Its easy to get players that no-one wants ;) When you want to and have a realistic chance of reaching the prem then you need quality players to take you onto that next level, hence more competition for them. You guys normally get your targets though ;)

Hmmmmm, i'm pretty sure you spent a whle summer after Pratley and Whittingham.....and i'nm also sure they didn't move clubs.

you'll probably find it difficult if you're trying to buy players who think their current club is better than yours, ne mind anyone else getting involved.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just found this on twitter, what a load of balls! http://theseventytwo.com/football-league/championship/2011/07/07/championship-league-ladder-nottingham-forest-up-derby-county-down/

The Seventy Two’s Championship league ladder continues with the thoughts of James McDaid.

In brief, the idea will be that the table begins in the order that the Championship finished at the end of the 2010/11 season and a series of bloggers and journalists will each re-position one team further up and one team further down based on their thoughts over the summer. By the end, we will have a predicted Championship table for which we can all take some part of the blame…

Over to James…

If I excelled at predicting football matches, I’d be a rich man. I assure you I am not. Be that as it may, I see great value in Nottingham Forest winning the Championship at 12/1. At that price Forest are joint 4th favourites. On the other hand we have Derby County – a club I have a great fondness for having lived in Derby for a year. I had the privilege of attending Pride Park during the 2008/09 campaign, the people are great and the club has a fantastic set up topped off with a beautiful stadium. Unfortunately for the Rams Steve Bloomer will be watching them struggle again this year, but a bright future is around the corner.

One up: Nottingham Forest

It has been a twelve year hiatus from the Premier League for Forest. For the past two years they have been reaching out for the brass ring, coming agonizingly close with two consecutive semi-final play-off defeats. The first in 2010 came at the hands of Blackpool 6-4 on aggregate, the second in 2011 to Swansea 3-1 on aggregate. The Championship has seen some dominant sides in recent years (Newcastle and WBA in 2010 and QPR in 2011), which has been detrimental to the promotion of consistent league performers Forest – especially in 2010 when they finished third.

The McClaren factor:

“I want role models because the squad is relatively young…We want to set Premier League standards from the beginning and, in terms of players we bring in, ideally we would like to have that experience.”

Forest have one of the youngest squads in the Championship with an average age of 25.0 years. As mentioned the current squad are consistent championship performers, so to call them inexperienced would be foolhardy. This is where McClaren’s shrewdness and management ability will come into play. McClaren isn’t afraid to gamble in the transfer market, this point was highlighted during his spell at F.C Twente. The Umbrella overseer reigned supreme during his Dutch spell, with a Second place finish in his first season – the departures of Eljero Elia and Marko Arnautović shattered the hopes of progress for many a Twente fan. However McClaren spent well bringing in Bryan Ruiz and Miroslav Stoch, who helped guide Twente to their first championship in their history.

Andy Reid is McClaren’s first foray into the market, and the signing might not make tremors in today’s transfer landscape – but to get such experience on a free certainly is a coup for the Championship side. More experience is needed and McClaren may be the figurehead to attract Premiership quality that have a point to prove.

“To win a championship in a foreign country with foreign coaches, I think it’s made me stronger.”

McClaren believes in his management ability and his strength as a coach, which is no surprise having spent his formative years under the guidance of Sir Alex Ferguson. He’ll want to come back fighting after his last campaign with Wolfsburg ended in his dismissal, McClaren returns to these shores with a point to prove as Forest manager.

Nottingham Forest up to: 1st

One down: Derby County

Derby County are not only local rivals to Nottingham forest, but they’re polar opposites to them in terms of expectations and philosophy for the forthcoming season. Derby’s squad has an average age of 25.3 years, almost identical to Forest’s – whereas it’s likely Forest’s average age will increase, Derby’s is likely to decline come 31st of August. Derby have signed eight players already in this window, and are looking to recruit more youthful prospects. The average age of these eight players is 24.5 years. Derby are urgently trying to build stability, and assemble a model for the future.

Derby County chief executive Tom Glick: “If there’s a young, talented player that we can add we’ll do it”

The squad may have an erratic season, with the negatives outweighing the positives, much like the previous campaign – however the foundations of a young exuberant team growing together will aid the Rams in scaling the Championship in future campaigns.

The philosophy of building upon prospects is one which mirrors Forest of three seasons ago, when they finished a lowly 19th one spot below Derby. The experience stood their young side in good stead as the reached two consecutive play-offs. Derby fans should have low expectations going into the season, they’d be right to fear relegation – however expect them to survive the drop, just. Progress will come in future seasons, the play-offs possibly only a season or two away.

Derby County down to: 21st

Table after James’s picks:

Nottingham Forest

West Ham United

Leicester City

Leeds United

Hull City

Burnley

Millwall

Reading

Cardiff City

Brighton and Hove Albion

Middlesbrough

Birmingham City

Ipswich Town

Blackpool

Watford

Bristol City

Portsmouth

Barnsley

Southampton

Crystal Palace

Derby County

Peterborough United

Doncaster Rovers

Coventry City

Share this:

Facebook

Related posts:

A Nottingham Forest exit from a Derby County perspective

The Championship summer league ladder #1

Championship league ladder: Brighton up, Blackpool down

yeh...can see James's point there,could have been put slightly simpler:

I am a forest fan in disguise

Me and my fellow red journo/bloggers meet up on an evening where red wine is in abundance alongside bias conjecture.

We decided after mass profanity to make a load of *******s up and try to get it circulated.

Wheres the bucket?Feel some working class vomit rising!

yeh...can see James's point there,could have been put slightly simpler:

I am a forest fan in disguise

Me and my fellow red journo/bloggers meet up on an evening where red wine is in abundance alongside bias conjecture.

We decided after mass profanity to make a load of *******s up and try to get it circulated.

Wheres the bucket?Feel some working class vomit rising!

ohhhh conjecture. One of them words that just sounds good. Word of the day.

Its easy to get players that no-one wants ;) When you want to and have a realistic chance of reaching the prem then you need quality players to take you onto that next level, hence more competition for them. You guys normally get your targets though ;)

You should have reached the prem with the squads you have had over the last two seasons.

Even a biased little lamb like me will concede you had far better, bigger and more highly paid squads than Blackpool in 2010 and Norwich in 2011 (Swansea as well), yet you failed both times.

You have now broke up that squad and need to rebuild once more.

You may just find that your "realistic chance of reaching the prem" has passed you by.

You should have reached the prem with the squads you have had over the last two seasons.

Even a biased little lamb like me will concede you had far better, bigger and more highly paid squads than Blackpool in 2010 and Norwich in 2011 (Swansea as well), yet you failed both times.

You have now broke up that squad and need to rebuild once more.

You may just find that your "realistic chance of reaching the prem" has passed you by.

Spot on.Even the die-hard scum fan must concede that good money was splashed by doughty.Opportunity squandered semi-final play off(10 men 89 mins at home?)scum fans will look back on that as the start of the demise.

Personnel/players/management out the door.Not positive signals to fans.

All good for The Rams fans to giggle at...

Spot on.Even the die-hard scum fan must concede that good money was splashed by doughty.Opportunity squandered semi-final play off(10 men 89 mins at home?)scum fans will look back on that as the start of the demise.

Personnel/players/management out the door.Not positive signals to fans.

All good for The Rams fans to giggle at...

Looks like us a couple of seasons ago, but at least we got some players capable of plugging gaps well enough to keep us up. I hope forest don't.

Think your in for a suprise with regards to forest; you have all got excited far too early ;)

If you mean B4 when you say "you have all got excited too early" then fair enough. I don't think many other Derby fans are getting "excited" tricky, merely commentating on your opinion of Forest having a realistic chance of the prem.

don't try and change the subject :p

straight swap for McGugan?

Nah mcgugan is going nowhere, we are not a selling club! Plus it would be very hypocritical for doughty to preach that we have a good batch of youngsters coming through and then sell one of the youngsters who has come through and made an impact.

Extremely happy boy if the routledge deal goes through!!!

well a fee in region of 1.5 to 2 million has been agreed for routledge so not bad for saying we have no money ;)

That's only half the deal done, does he want to join a 5-a-side team and can you agree terms.

"you have all got excited far too early"

That's only half the deal done, does he want to join a 5-a-side team and can you agree terms.

"you have all got excited far too early"

Well we have a key weapon in our armoury....................... his best friend is dexter blackstock lol

Well we have a key weapon in our armoury....................... his best friend is dexter blackstock lol

Don't see how that would help, if he's his best mate surely he would tell him what a crap club Forest are and stay in the Prem?

Im more concerned about where this money has come from?! all the derby fans had told me we were absolutely skint and had to sell all our players;im so confused ;)

What money? you haven't signed anyone for a fee yet.

Archived