Let's Talk al-Notts Rovers

David

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Forest being a sleeping giant malarky is a myth in my opinion and it boils my pi$$ to read it on this forum. Prior to Clough and Taylor joining them they were mediocre in the extreme, wasn't their last trophy prior to their joining around 1959 or something like that ?

Bolton, Preston and Wolves to name only three had much richer histories than them and Cloughie only joined them to stick two fingers up to Longson I believe.

Sure, what C & T achieved there was phenomenal but does it give them giant status ?

No it bloody well doesn't. http://cursors3.totallyfreecursors.com/thumbnails/banghead

This Forest being a sleeping giant malarky is a myth in my opinion and it boils my pi$$ to read it on this forum. Prior to Clough and Taylor joining them they were mediocre in the extreme, wasn't their last trophy prior to their joining around 1959 or something like that ?

Bolton, Preston and Wolves to name only three had much richer histories than them and Cloughie only joined them to stick two fingers up to Longson I believe.

Sure, what C & T achieved there was phenomenal but does it give them giant status ?

No it bloody well doesn't. http://cursors3.totallyfreecursors.com/thumbnails/banghead

When I was a young lad just starting to watch football, Forest were the champions of Europe not once but twice.

That feat gives the club giant status in my opinion.

We're not talking a Mickey Mouse cup here. It's the single biggest club competition in the world and to have win it twice is quite something.

As I said, what Clough and Taylor did there was something else but they only won it once more than Villa, are Villa giants ?

I suppose it depends on your definition of giants but for me Manchester United, Liverpool and Celtic are giants, maybe even Arsenal who have never won that particular trophy.

Nottingham Forest do not belong in that company in my opinion, however, I respect the fact that you do even though I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

Bris is right, Forest fans are going to now want top of the league and a win every game.

No amount of SOD talk about patience will pacify their fans I'm afraid.

Their fans are worse than ours when it come to not backing the manager in times of need.

Billy Sharp, Coppinger and Gillet were all part of SoD teams that were lauded as doing well to stay in the championship.

Add to that Reid, Goodyear and Cox the midfield and strike force are amongst the best in the league.

However Doncasters teams under SoD with the above players all could score lots of goals but the defence wasn't good enough to reach playoffs or promotion.

What's different at Forest? They had to rebuild a defence almost from scratch. On the surface they have done this but already they had to play a RB at CH due injury against Bolton and the back four looked shakey. Conceded 4 against Wigan (I know they are a prem team) and looked dodgey under crosses.

I think Forest will score lots and concede lots (especially if injuries and suspensions bite at the back)and finish mid table just like SoD's Doncaster teams.

Also the best form of defence is attack, through gritted teeth Forest have that even with Blackburn and their £8m Rhodes.

If you don't score goals you can't win games, I'm sure Forest fans won't give a **** about conceding 2 sloppy goals when they score 4 themselves.

I'd love to sit here and continue my Forest are relegation favourites posts but they'd be copy and pasted over LTLF where they'd think I was being serious, because this thread isn't about banter is it not. Idiots.

Barring any injuries I'm sure they will do alright this season, my hope is they fall short of automatics and give us the final laugh as they **** it up in the play offs again.

So do you think you'll manage to get a point of us this season?

Yes.

Do you think you'll get automatic promotion or will you rely on your play off experience?

Be happy with top 10 still, we've got the ingrediants, but it takes time to get everything in place to go up. We're in with a great shout of top 6 & 2 now with the players we have, but expecting either with such a new team would be greedy.

I think we've earnt that label because our situation isn't too dissimilar to that of Man City's (in terms of where they were, potential fanbase etc.)

City are massively marketable globaly because they're already half-famous with the "Manchester" brand in their name. Similarly, Forest have a global base to push on from because of our European club history and Brian Clough.

Forest best get out of this league before FFP kicks in.

Our CEO recently gave an interview stating that this was something we'd kept a close eye on whilst signing these players. If you see my earlier post you'll see that, in terms of players actually contracted to the side, we've actually trimmed the squad.

We're also making strides to push our club abroad with merch & such (Kuwait obv being step 1) so club income will grow too.

Bris is right, Forest fans are going to now want top of the league and a win every game.

No amount of SOD talk about patience will pacify their fans I'm afraid.

Their fans are worse than ours when it come to not backing the manager in times of need.

We will have a dumb minority that think like that - every club has (hence the "is Nigel Clough good Enough" thread on here) - but if you actually read the forums and talk to most Forest fans you'll find that, because our starting point was so far back 8 weeks ago, most fans view top 10 this year as satisfactory.

The style of football is the main thing really and, after enduring the utter hoofballing ****-fest that was Cotterill last year, fans will be going home from the ground happy if they are just seeing some entrertaining stuff.

Do you think you'll get automatic promotion or will you rely on your play off experience?

I think we have the players to get into the top half of the table.

Anything more than that will be a bonus this year

It will be interesting to see who's named in the team today, will Billy Sharpe be on the Bench.

What effect will the new players have on the team as they will all be fighting for a place in the team

It's great to have options & wide players again & Goalscorers in the team

If your team scores you have a chance

How do you think Forest will do ?

Love the thread name btw.

As I said, what Clough and Taylor did there was something else but they only won it once more than Villa, are Villa giants ?

I suppose it depends on your definition of giants but for me Manchester United, Liverpool and Celtic are giants, maybe even Arsenal who have never won that particular trophy.

Nottingham Forest do not belong in that company in my opinion, however, I respect the fact that you do even though I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

I think they have the potential to be.

I don't think we expect top of the league at all. If this all happened a year ago then you'd be right, but the way Leicester fans conducted themselves with their signings has been a sort of deterrent against thinking you can walk the league because you have the most amount of money. It nearly backfired on West Ham and QPR too. With the new signings I think we can make the play-offs at least, whether we win them is another story. SO'D did get Doncaster up via the Play-Offs beating Leeds no less.

Archived