Addison

The Ram

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im sorry but in that postion where you have addison they still get a lot of the ball and start a lot of the midfield play and addison has shown his weakness is his passing. The way your saying it he will be totally used as a stopper nothing else, well isnt that the two centre halfs job? The great holding players of modern times, makale, viera, etc while were great defensivley could still use the ball very well. Derry for QPR while he sat there he was still teh player getting the ball of the back 4 and linking in to the players who could play

I see what you're saying but I don't think Addison is as awful on the ball as people make out. I mean we had Robbie 'swing a boot at it' Savage in there for the past few seasons. He's not the best passer, no doubt about that, but he can pass it. I'd prefer him to Savage, he was sloppy with the ball (a few times giving it away on the edge of our own box) he often just swung his foot at the ball sending to soaring into the air and once in a while a great pass would come off but the ratio wasn't great. But he got into the teams faces and (although his legs wouldn't allow it nearer the end) he tried to protect the back 4.

I think with Addison there it gives fluidity to change during a game. Should we want to try and shut up shop (as Nigel does after going a goal in front) then it can revert to a 5-3-2 (like to Jim Smith days) should we want to push up then Addison moves forward pushing the CM's further up. If we're getting over run in midfield then it can change to 4-5-1, with that personnel I think it's a nice balance and easy to alter. I don't profess to be the most knowledgable person in regards to tactics (I'm don't think of myself as a manager who's just unlucky to have never been discovered). But I like that formation, I think it allows for different options as and when the game needs it.

Where's my post gone? I wrote a long post (unlike me I know) about Addison's role and that he's not that bad but it doesn't appear to have posted. Be dammed if I'm writing it again.

In short - Addison isn't that bad and the formationwith him in it allows us to change the shape during the game.

Where's my post gone? I wrote a long post (unlike me I know) about Addison's role and that he's not that bad but it doesn't appear to have posted. Be dammed if I'm writing it again.

In short - Addison isn't that bad and the formationwith him in it allows us to change the shape during the game.

I see what you're saying but I don't think Addison is as awful on the ball as people make out. I mean we had Robbie 'swing a boot at it' Savage in there for the past few seasons. He's not the best passer, no doubt about that, but he can pass it. I'd prefer him to Savage, he was sloppy with the ball (a few times giving it away on the edge of our own box) he often just swung his foot at the ball sending to soaring into the air and once in a while a great pass would come off but the ratio wasn't great. But he got into the teams faces and (although his legs wouldn't allow it nearer the end) he tried to protect the back 4.

I think with Addison there it gives fluidity to change during a game. Should we want to try and shut up shop (as Nigel does after going a goal in front) then it can revert to a 5-3-2 (like to Jim Smith days) should we want to push up then Addison moves forward pushing the CM's further up. If we're getting over run in midfield then it can change to 4-5-1, with that personnel I think it's a nice balance and easy to alter. I don't profess to be the most knowledgable person in regards to tactics (I'm don't think of myself as a manager who's just unlucky to have never been discovered). But I like that formation, I think it allows for different options as and when the game needs it.

You mean that one?

Must re re---frain arggggghhhhhhhhhh

YOU SPOON:D

Should Addision get any where near the quality the Savage was in the height of his career then he will have done well, however regardless of his fitness he simply cannot pass a ball.

As a midfield player, if he can regain his fitness and speed (he appeared to be running backwards last season, he can still become a very good player for us, maybe a "water carrier" for the playmakers of the team, but his strengths are his power and tackiling abilities, his passing is quite frankly, awful at best.

Should Addision get any where near the quality the Savage was in the height of his career then he will have done well, however regardless of his fitness he simply cannot pass a ball.

As a midfield player, if he can regain his fitness and speed (he appeared to be running backwards last season, he can still become a very good player for us, maybe a "water carrier" for the playmakers of the team, but his strengths are his power and tackiling abilities, his passing is quite frankly, awful at best.

Savage in my opinion has never had quality. He ran about a lot and got in people's faces. He wasn't a great player but he made a career out of working hard.

Well I for one have my fingers crossed he stays and is fit next season.

I personally think addisons biggest problem with his lay of was that he spent to long in the gym on the weights! The blokes a monster, but is also immobile now!! He needs to lose the baulk and have a pre season! I'd keep him

HAHAHAHHAHA! " if your not happy with the tranfers, you can get your money back" Well i know what i will be doing if Brayford goes!

where have you imagined that one?

[sIZE=1]smell a wum[/sIZE]

Addison broke in at England U21 as a Centre Half, Had his best game v Newcastle 2 seasons ago on Tv at centre half. People cast their memories back under Jewell when he broke into the side alongside Green in centre midfield and the fact it helped to change our fortunes. He was new young and no way as big as he was now. He has also had the injury and the amount of time he has had off sounds like it was either very serious or one that will always be problematic. History in respect of players who have serious injuries tend to suggest they lose their edge in speed look at Owen, Fowler, Tores, Giles Barnes etc. Now Addison was never quick but at his size and loss of pace gives him less time on the ball and his passing was never the strongest makes it even more difficult for him. Next season is about getting himself fully fit with no breakdowns and taking his time to build for a push to play first team 2012/13 season but at Centre Half where he has had his best games. He is young enough to take his time and fully prepare and gain confidence that he is over the injury.

Addison broke in at England U21 as a Centre Half, Had his best game v Newcastle 2 seasons ago on Tv at centre half. People cast their memories back under Jewell when he broke into the side alongside Green in centre midfield and the fact it helped to change our fortunes. He was new young and no way as big as he was now. He has also had the injury and the amount of time he has had off sounds like it was either very serious or one that will always be problematic. History in respect of players who have serious injuries tend to suggest they lose their edge in speed look at Owen, Fowler, Tores, Giles Barnes etc. Now Addison was never quick but at his size and loss of pace gives him less time on the ball and his passing was never the strongest makes it even more difficult for him. Next season is about getting himself fully fit with no breakdowns and taking his time to build for a push to play first team 2012/13 season but at Centre Half where he has had his best games. He is young enough to take his time and fully prepare and gain confidence that he is over the injury.

Do you reckon NC rates him as a CH? Does he rate him at all? It doesn't really matter what we think of miles - it's clough and his staff and their assessment of him that matters.

IIRC soon after that newcastle game addison came in for some clough criticism - something on the lines of: 'we don't want players who are 9 out of ten one week and then 4 out of ten the next' - seem to remember miles ducking under a header and it led to a goal.

(Folk with better memories than me will remember with greater clarity.)

FWIW - i think it would be a mistake to let him go.

I think this is out of context because this was whilst he was discussing his injury problems at the time and the fact that he was unable to be consistant then shortly after it was announced he would be out for over 12 months as he needed surgery. Clough has had nothing but praise in respect of his rehab and being in the gym for rehab at theearliest opportunity.

Now Clough wanted him to play midfield because the same as everyone else he was solid until the injury however he has recently come out during the season and it seemed his opinion had moved to him playing CH but he is young with time to train develop and there is no rush. He will be second choice behing Barker and a.n.other to play alongisde him with the view he trains/observe and Learn from them. Why rush someone in the side when he has 10-12 yrs of playing for us to come. People are always looking to rush things instead of reflecting and looking at what is best short term rather than long term for both the club and players. Fans always want it there and then the managers and players job is to work at this then build upon it. Ferguson is a prime example when he went to Man Utd in 1985/86 they struggled for the first 5yrs and nearly lost his job but the directors believed he was steering them in the right direction. Then in 1991/92 season saw the premiership season kick off with scholes/becham/gary and philip neville breaking into the season no one giving them a chance and winning the league, since then has won what is 12 titles, 2 european cups then the FA cup and League cup a number of times. Now I am not saying Clough is in the same bracket but what I am saying he is starting to develop a youth section for the future in Addison/Hendricks/Ball/Obrina/Aitkens/Severin/The young lad who has jsut played England U17. The youngsters are starting to filter through and in the next 2 or 3 yrs they will be breaking into the first team. Ferguson also rates him and if you want a reference then you can get no better than that.

Comments can be viewed either way but it is best to not take any bias and consider the environment and context it is made

I can't belive some people actually want Addison gone, he had a very good first season where everyone was talking about him and he comes back from a lengthy injury early and people are not happy with his performances, he needs time and is only 20?

The fact he was capped by England U-21's shows you what a good season he had 2 years ago.

Also, its not the first time Stoke have been interested in him. When Jewell was here there was talk of a 2M move to them.

But Forest's Guy Moussi who is out of contract is being linked with Everton and Stoke, hopefully Stoke get him as if they see Addison as a defensive midfielder and not a defender then they will only really need one. So hope Moussi goes there because I think Addison has a great future ahead of him.

Archived