Adam Rooney - Inverness Caley Thistle

Chris Peduck

From Today's Scottish Sunday Herald

Hamilton 1 Inverness CT 2: Star pupil declares the lesson over as he packs bags

Richie Foran heads home to open the scoring for Inverness CTPhotograph: SNS

15 May 2011

SCHOOL’S out.

That was the feeling around New Douglas Park yesterday, with the many who will not be around for the start of the new term saying emotional farewells. The principal role was occupied by Adam Rooney, who struck his 22nd goal of the season to give Inverness Caledonian Thistle victory and whet the appetites of the watching English scouts from Reading and Derby County.

Rooney, whose contract at Inverness has expired, threw his shirt to the travelling fans at the end of the game, although manager Terry Butcher is not yet resigned to losing him.

Also heading off is Hamilton’s assistant manager, Stuart Taylor, after four years at the club. He stood in for Billy Reid at the post- match press conference and stated he had “made up my mind last December to leaveâ€.

And, of course, the biggest exit of all was that of Accies, as they slid out of the SPL after three seasons, defeat yesterday condemning them to become the first team since league re-organisation in 1975 not to win at least two games at home.

Former Stoke City player Rooney admits a return to England appeals. “I came up here to progress my career and I have done that,†he said.†Now I have to sit down and decide what my next move is. I will speak to my agent and see what my options are. I got 22 goals, and I had to get that one today, although Richie Foran was furious that I did not pass the ball.â€

Butcher said: “Adam can enhance his value by staying with us and we are a perfect fit for him. Last week I put him on the bench to keep the scouts away from him and if he goes he will be a big loss.â€

Billy Reid had already released eight players as he prepares for life in the First Division. Gary McDonald and David Buchanan took the opportunity to play despite their impending departure.

James Chambers went close for Accies on a couple of occasions in the first half, while Butcher screamed down on the touchline for greater effort from his side, who offered few threats.

However, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock just before the interval, Aaron Doran skipping past Buchanan and floating a cross to the back post that was headed in by the unmarked Foran.

Dougie Imrie almost restored parity before the sides headed to the dressing rooms, with a fierce shot that was beaten away by Jonny Tuffey, but Hamilton did not have too long to wait.

They equalised five minutes into the second half when Ally Crawford, one of a clutch of teenagers that the club hope will fashion a swift return to the top flight, delivered a perfect corner for Simon Mensing to attack and he thumped his header beyond Tuffey.

If Accies thought the tide had turned in their favour, they were soon given a reality check when Inverness restored their lead. A cross from Shane Sutherland was deftly rolled into the path of Rooney by Nick Ross and the highly-prized Irish striker steered a composed right-foot finish past Tomas Cerny.

Imrie remained a thorn in the side of his former employers, sending a shot narrowly wide before carving out the chance that should have levelled the contest once more. He robbed left-back Kenny Gillet in the 72nd minute and knocked the ball wide of Tuffey, who brought him down.

Tuffey survived with just a yellow card and enjoyed further good fortune when Mensing’s venomous penalty bounced off the underside to safety. Jim McAlister could yet have soothed the hosts’ frustration but missed an unguarded net after Imrie’s effort had been parried by Tuffey.

“That was the story of our season,†said Buchanan, who will now return to England to consider his future. “We played a lot of good football but the league table does not lie. I hope they come back up.â€

Star pupil declares the lesson over as he packs bags

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 goals in 43 games across all competitions this season. He's 23 and hails from Dublin - he's a ginger so Bunny will like him. :D

Yes, he will like him.

SPL is slightly lower than the Championship, but only just, if you can score in the SPL you can score in the Championship.

Jus

Yes, he will like him.

SPL is slightly lower than the Championship, but only just, if you can score in the SPL you can score in the Championship.

It isn't slightly lower, any team other than Celtic, Rangers and possibly Hearts would struggle in our league 1. Look how Kenny was turned into a superstar in their league- its pants! That said Rooney has scored a fair few this season so it is unlikely he is total cr*p. Wouldn't mind seeing him arrive if the money was right.

Looking at his stats on Wiki he looks quite decent. 6ft 2, Hulse type build and has averaged a little under goal 1 in 3 thoughout his career. Says he is Stoke's youngest ever hattrick scorer, the second youngest Sir Stanley Matthews...

Like Norfolk & Shilts I've got slight reservations due to it being the Scot Prem but I'd quite like to see this lad signed up if the moneys right. Certainly looks a better prospect than 'r' Theo!!!

Archived