Adam Legzdins - Burton Albion - Signed

Hucknall Ram

GOALKEEPEER Adam Legzdins has revealed he has "no interest to leave" Burton Albion.

Adam Legzdins

The 24-year-old capped an impressive debut campaign at the club by scooping a double at Albion's player awards night on Wednesday, taking home both the players' and supporters' player of the season trophies.

A string of impressive displays, particularly in the second half of the season as the Brewers ultimately successfully battled to avoid relegation from League Two, have attracted the interest of a number of Championship club, including Derby County, but Legzdins says he does not want to run before he can walk.

Asked how aware he has been of other clubs watching him during the season, the 6ft 4ins stopper said: "Only as aware as you lot make it out to me to be honest.

"You hear things here and there but it's not really considerable until it becomes a possibility.

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't flattered by interest, but I have no interest to leave.

"I thoroughly enjoy this club, I think it's fantastically run, I enjoy the fans, they have been fantastic and to get their accolades is as important to me as it is off my own peers.

"They've been fantastic with me all year and I'm very thankful to them, so if they are reading this, a very big thank you to them and my intentions are to hopefully have a very successful career with Burton.

"If I play well for them, then hopefully it attracts interest from other clubs."

Legzdins says he has enjoyed being a first-choice goalkeeper for the first time in his career - he is set to play in his 51st game of the season as the curtain comes down on Albion's campaign at home to Accrington Stanley tomorrow - and would rather start regularly at League Two level than move to a club higher up the ladder and have to warm the bench.

He said: "The idea of becoming a number two and earning good money but not playing doesn't really appeal to me.

"I want to improve and I know to do that it has to be slowly - there's no point running before you can walk.

"I want to improve and I want to play at the top, and I think I can play at the top.

"However, if it means one season, two seasons, three seasons at certain levels and I get there slowly but maintain a level which I can play at for a while then I'd rather do that than go for the heights too quickly.

"Who knows? But I'm enjoying my time here and I have no interest to leave.

"You look at a lot of goalkeepers and Maik Taylor, who I was with at Birmingham, is a prime example.

"He didn't start playing professional football until he was 24. He was in the Army and he didn't start playing Premier League until he was maybe 27, 28 and is now 36, 37 and playing in the Premier League still as a number two.

"He was fantastic to learn from and Nigel Spink was my goalkeeper coach at Birmingham, and these people who have had distinguished careers, as well as Pooley, they've had the longevity because they've played games and progressed slowly but steadily, and that's my aim.

"I want to look back at my career and say I've played this amount of games and be proud of it." Legzdins can certainly look back at this season and be proud.

When he moved to the Pirelli Stadium in the summer after rejecting a new deal at Crewe Alexandra, where he had been since leaving Birmingham City in 2008, he could not have wished for a better campaign.

However, he was still moved when video interviews with his team-mates and supporters were shown on the screens at the awards night, and he was quick to heap praise on goalkeeper coach Kevin Poole, who mentored Legzdins when he was with Birmingham City's Academy.

He said: "I'll be honest, it's hard to see the footage before the awards because, I don't know, not to say I'm emotional but it's very honourable, I feel very proud because at the end of the day we've got a great set of lads and some senior pros in there with some vast experience, so if I've managed to pick up some votes (from players) who I constantly spend every day trying to learn off then I suppose it's a great testament to Pooley, who works with me every day and really has helped me improve vastly this year.

"I'm truly grateful to the gaffer (Paul Peschisolido), Gaz (assistant manager Gary Rowett) and Pooley for bringing me here and showing the faith to play me as a number one.

"When I came here, obviously thinking I may have to prove myself against somebody else they may have signed, from the start they kind of had the faith in me and I've really got to be very grateful for that.

"Pooley's a big part of that, he's fantastic to work with. I'm forever in his debt because not only do I get the chance to work with him - he's a great professional - but he gave me the chance to come here.

"I had a good pre-season and felt confident coming into the season and felt good in the games, but it's very well doing that, but then to have the training from Pooley to do it for 50 games, as I've played now and hopefully, touch wood, it will be a 51st on Saturday, shows the level of his training.

"He's looked after me when I've been fragile, if I've had an injury here or there or have been carrying a knock, and he's fantastic and I really am enjoying working with him, and I want the relationship to continue."

Legzdins still has a year left on his contract and although the Brewers are thought to be keen to extend it, the keeper admits the focus has been on ensuring the club remained in the Football League.

"The predicament our club's been in, me signing an extension to my contract has not been paramount," Legzdins said.

"My focus has been purely on keeping us in this division and I really have done everything that I could to keep the team in the division.

"I've worked my b******* off - sorry - for the last three months and we'll talk about next season after Saturday."

Midfielder Jacques Maghoma finished runner-up to Legzdins in the Supporters' Player of the Season vote.

Other awards on the night saw captain John McGrath win the Goal of the Season trophy for his stunning volley in the 3-2 away victory at Northampton Town on March 1, while Aaron Webster collected the Top Goalscorer prize.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Burton-Albion-FC/Double-winner-Legzdins-not-interested-in-move-05052011.htm

If Fielding is signed, I much rather have a more experienced keeper as number two, ie Matt Duke

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'll take Matt Duke (Is he a FREE?) or any other experienced GK. Although Fielding shows a lot of promise and has looked reasonably solid, It would be reassuring to know that he has a bit of a 'vet.' pushing him for his starting place. Also help with the future development of Fielding.

Like Atkins, Like Severn too, But experience is required. Just get said GK on a freebie!!

Don't think it would be sensible to buy him. Already shelling out for Fielding and we have Deeney and two academy goalies for the season ahead.

Just think it's a waste to spend two amounts of money on two GK when you only play one for a majority of the time.

I'd have Fielding number one and Atkins on the bench, perhaps if duke would take up low wages like 1k-2k then I'd take him, but since he has just been released off a 16k a week wage, I don't see him coming down that far!

16k per week? Ruddy hell!

• 3 weeks later...

Is that a joke? We have Fielding and Bywater we dont need Legzdins. I can't see the logic of signing a player who's been playing week in week out for Burton and then telling him: "Oh, you're only gonna' be a backup player"

Is that a joke? We have Fielding and Bywater we dont need Legzdins. I can't see the logic of signing a player who's been playing week in week out for Burton and then telling him: "Oh, you're only gonna' be a backup player"

Because he clearly has talent and potential? Added to that it's obvious Bywater will be gone, that leaves Fielding and Deeney. Just makes sense to sign a keeper with good potential.

I would imagine signing this keeper from Burton would include Atkins going there for a season giving them a year to find a permanent replacement. Win win I say.

I am speculating with this and there is no evidence, just what I would do.

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash. I think this keeper is at the right level for a number two/challenger. Deeney is a number two and Duke would want too much money for a second choice keeper. Bywater is history.

The question is do you really need 3 (potentially 4 if bywater cant be sold) goalkeepers? Deeney looked a decent back up when i saw the highlights of him and we all know how good fielding is. Maybe clough saw the problems with goalkeepers this season and is just getting prepared for next year by bringing in loads of goalies now, lol. Hes a decent goalie the lad at burton but is he needed?! Id probably say no and its a bit of a waste of wages but we dont know the thinking.

Well this is the thing, Deeney was injured for the tail end of the season and Bywater unfavoured. Coupled with the fact the fielding loan expired before the season was over and Severn and Atkins were considered too inexperienced (I presume). We were always going to be looking for an experienced keeper. Matt Duke was recalled by Hull so we got Jones as a last ditch GK. The GK mess of last year may have been a bit of a farce, But was made worse by some unfortunate circumstances.

Deeney is back from injury now and we have a first choice in Fielding. Ross Atkins played against Reading this season after being recalled (Tamworth??) and we have James Severn also (England U17/U19/U20 caps). We have 4 GK's at this club and IMO don't need any more. Deeney was offered a new contract so Clough must consider him part of his plans (Although look what happened to Pringle).

This lad seems reluctant to leave and has a fee involved. He has a few clubs 'sniffing around' so would be worth more than Deeney?(if sold). As much as it 'would be nice' to have him as sub behind Frank, we don't NEED him. If Frank gets injured then Deeney will play, If not, Then why is he here???. If Atkins and Severn (Whilst on loan, Hopefully) can be recalled, to then be on the bench behind Deeney, Then let's not waste our time eh??.

In a nutshell: If Deeney is staying (Which I presume) then we have no requirement to get another GK.

Archived