The most hated family in America

WorksopRam

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's basically just a celebrated piss taker, he's actually rather rude at times. Very surprised nobody has taken a swipe at him.

again another nutty view from you, bloody hell the man is a serious journalist, has done some ground breaking pieces of work in very hostile environments, e.g. Louis and the Nazis to name but one. He has a way of getting to know the people and uncovering what is underneath the message and he does it very well. His pieces on the most hated family in America was very good and he deserves credit.

I bet you love the daily mail.

again another nutty view from you, bloody hell the man is a serious journalist, has done some ground breaking pieces of work in very hostile environments, e.g. Louis and the Nazis to name but one. He has a way of getting to know the people and uncovering what is underneath the message and he does it very well. His pieces on the most hated family in America was very good and he deserves credit.

I bet you love the daily mail.

No he's not, he just takes the piss out of everyone he interviews, it's very interesting but he's not a serious journalist. Here's a quote of his about his shows "The show is laughing at me, adrift in their world, as much as at them"

I don't particularly like the daily mail but I much prefer it to your precious Guardian, Independent is the only decent paper and it's still not that good.

yes he is, what he does is some serious stuff, i know a couple of his pieces have been light hearted etc but some of his stuff is serious edin. He gives interviews and such with groups which are on the fringes e.g. neo nazis and he portrays them for what they are, he gets the public to see what they are really well.

I think the guardian is ok, i read the independent now and then for a quick look, and i read the new york times and washington post most days as well.

yes he is, what he does is some serious stuff, i know a couple of his pieces have been light hearted etc but some of his stuff is serious edin. He gives interviews and such with groups which are on the fringes e.g. neo nazis and he portrays them for what they are, he gets the public to see what they are really well.

I think the guardian is ok, i read the independent now and then for a quick look, and i read the new york times and washington post most days as well.

Serious subjects yes, but I don't think he portrays it in a particularly serious light.

Serious subjects yes, but I don't think he portrays it in a particularly serious light.

I would say he gets people to look deeper into these people, like the most hated family in america, he could have gone in there and done a usual documentary piece etc but he got in with the family and found what made them stay etc, what may not seem serious to you actually is, it is a more relaxed approach so he can get more out of it.

I would say he gets people to look deeper into these people, like the most hated family in america, he could have gone in there and done a usual documentary piece etc but he got in with the family and found what made them stay etc, what may not seem serious to you actually is, it is a more relaxed approach so he can get more out of it.

We disagree so you take the 'oh he just must not understand' view, predictable. Theroux goes there with the sole intention of ridiculing them for entertainment purposes. Not serious journalism in my book

Louis Theroux has never gone somewhere to ridicule someone, he's a fantastic journalist and very open minded. He tries to understand people, in whatever he does. (This includes going to a rehabilitation program for paedophiles where he tried to understand the process, not just say that they were sick).

If you think he went there to make them look stupid, you're wrong. Fantastic journalist.

I have just watched the first docu he did on the most hated family in america and then the second one which was filmed this year which was named 'in crisis' and I just cannot believe what these people believe in, they genuinely believe that everyone bar these 50 or so elect will go to hell, now don't get me wrong.. hell doesn't sound nice but if it keeps me away from them ******' mentalist and it means I can stick around with you guys, then it can't be all bad.. can it? :confused::rolleyes:

in all seriousness though, it's one of the best documentaries I have ever seen because it seemed to have it all, the shocking truths, the comical guy doing the good guy/bad guy act and a room full of idiots, that seemingly have nothing better to do than sing lady gaga songs, make signs and dream about pink caves. I am also very ill and I am finding it very difficult to sleep so this really did pass the time, thank you Louis.

I mean if god was going to make an elect group would he really make them looking like this..

http://newsi7.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/0_61_320_100406_hc_roper

http://deskofbrian.com/wp-content/uploads/Fred-Phelps-preaching

My new favourite people!

• 5 months later...

Most Hated Family in America? Was this special about the Phelps family of Westboro Baptist Church(I assume it is)? Yeah they're from my state and I've been by their compound in the State capitol many a time. Nutjobs all of them, and a shame to Kansas. But sadly what can you do? Their all lawyers and will sue you if you try anything on them.

Funny story Fred Phelps himself ran for the Governer nomination for the Democratic Party once or twice and even got plenty of votes. Of course this was before he went extremist. Also it wasn't that long ago his compound was the headquarters of Al Gore's Kansas Campaign in 92'. Even got himself invited to both of Bill Clinton's Inaugural Balls. It's surreal watching them show up to protest at just about anywhere in my area of Kansas. They show up in full force at every single one of my college's graduations.

Archived