Who are our best 2?

EnigmaRam

So we've played 4231 for the last half a dozen games. I know GR has suggested using multiple formations and systems but for arguments sake we play the 4231 for the majority of the games.

who in your opinion is the best pairing that we currently have to play as the 2 in the 4231 formation and why? Do we have 2 players that are good enough and have the right chemistry to play off each other.

is Thorne and Hughes, or Thorne and Johnson, is it Bryson and Hughes or Hanson and butters.

i think it will be vital that these are quality players that have a good blend so what's your thoughts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

In a perfect world I think the answer is Thorne and Johnson which would allow Hughes to play further forward and hurt the opposition.  I am getting more and more concerned that we won't see the real George Thorne again though.

That's interesting, so Hughes in the middle of the 3 then? So not Vydra in that position?

Thorne and Hughes.

I don't buy into the scare mongering around Thorne. If there were something seriously wrong with his recovery they would know by now. There's no reason for anyone to hide such information. I think the only problem comes from the frankly ludicrous figure of 6 months given at the time of the injury. Yeah, 6 months for a double break, pull the other one. Unless you sit in an oxygen tank for 24 hours a day that isn't going to happen.

Johnson and Hughes for the moment, but obviously Thorne is our best DM. Hughes and Thorne sounds good, but I wonder if that's an athletic enough defensive 2.

Think next season Thorne, Hughes, Johnson and hopefully a new specific DM with more athleticism to him than our other DM's offer a great platform to build off.

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Johnson and Hughes for the moment, but obviously Thorne is our best DM. Hughes and Thorne sounds good, but I wonder if that's an athletic enough defensive 2.

Think next season Thorne, Hughes, Johnson and hopefully a new specific DM with more athleticism to him than our other DM's offer a great platform to build off.

So where would that leave Bryson, butters and Hanson?

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

Depends, Thorne and Hughes if we want to be a controlling team, BJ and Butters if we want to play on the break. 

Butters on the break?

He's one of our more ponderous players for me... Seems to like spending way too much time on the ball... Mind you, so does Hughes a lot of the time...

19 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Butters on the break?

He's one of our more ponderous players for me... Seems to like spending way too much time on the ball... Mind you, so does Hughes a lot of the time...

Just about out only midfielder who I've ever seen hit a cross field diagonal on the counter! Not sure he'd have the legs either.

I'm not really sure we have a second midfielder for a counter-attacking team to be honest. Bryson would be perfect if he had a passing range greater than five yards.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Thorne and Hughes.

I don't buy into the scare mongering around Thorne. If there were something seriously wrong with his recovery they would know by now. There's no reason for anyone to hide such information. I think the only problem comes from the frankly ludicrous figure of 6 months given at the time of the injury. Yeah, 6 months for a double break, pull the other one. Unless you sit in an oxygen tank for 24 hours a day that isn't going to happen.

It was 3 :blink:

http://mobile.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/george-thorne-injury-confirmed-as-double-break-to-right-leg-3102682.aspx

Which I bought into, not having the foggiest about leg breaks.

42 minutes ago, cannable said:

Just about out only midfielder who I've ever seen hit a cross field diagonal on the counter! Not sure he'd have the legs either.

I'm not really sure we have a second midfielder for a counter-attacking team to be honest. Bryson would be perfect if he had a passing range greater than five yards.

Thorne - He can't move quickly himself but he thinks quickly and can hit a ball accurately a distance

If we were gonna play counter attacking I would suggest the combo of 'enforcer' and 'playmaker' of which the closest we have is Johnson and Thorne...

41 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Thorne - He can't move quickly himself but he thinks quickly and can hit a ball accurately a distance

If we were gonna play counter attacking I would suggest the combo of 'enforcer' and 'playmaker' of which the closest we have is Johnson and Thorne...

Thorne may work. 

Another combination could be Bryson and Thorne working like Drinkwater and Kante. 

Won the ball back 7 times against Forest did Bryson, may well be that he adapts his game into the Kante/Gueye mould.

I am working on the assumption that you mean the 2 mid fielders as opposed to the 3 behind the striker.

my feeling is that there are a verity of combinations. With a midfield 2 they need to be one covering the other so as you say, a good blend is needed.

1st choice for me would be Hughes and Thorne .. On top of their games they both have it all and Will is now strong enough to tackle as well as act as an engine room of creation. 

The 3 universals are Thorne, Hughes and Johnson 

depending on which of those is first pick, you then need a partner.

Bryson .. But only if Thorne is playing. He is too loose without a certain sort of player with genuine DM credentials with him. Bryson and Butters just wouldn't work. And Bryson Johnson would make me nervous. 

Butterfield.. Also with George but just maybe he could play with Will. I think the issue with Butters is that he has been missing someone who compliments his style .. Just maybe it's our Will and we just haven't seen it ?

Johnson and Hughes should also also work well.

I have to say that I really like this thread because the midfield for me is our biggest failing. We have the players but we haven't worked out how best to use them as pairings. Despite all the above I really have no blooming idea, but crack it and we can be consistent winners.

Archived