Who wants to live forever

Stive Pesley

Sith Happens
13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There's vast resources out in the solar system and then beyond. Extending lifespan is only a problem if you restrict humanity to Earth, but that's the surest way for our species to become extinct quickly anyway.

Lots of work is going on to cure ageing at the moment and I hope we all benefit from this progress soon. The research is about improving "healthpan" as well as lifespan. Wouldn't it be great to be 200 but have the body of a 20 year old? Expanding lifespan also makes it less problematic for humans to spread out through the galaxy in single lifetimes, rather than the moral dilemmas of generational ships/voyages.

In my younger years I was excited about spaceflight, going to mars, discovering if life existed elsewhere (that was proven).

The excitement of seeing pictures from mars, the first flight of the space shuttle, the moon landing hadnt even been that long ago, a probe taking pictures upclose of haleys comet, the voyager taking close ups of the out planets, uranus and neptune. Now 30 + years later how have we advanced? We still are looking at pictures of mars, have no space shuttle, we have only just photographed pluto, we seem no closer to going to mars, we just seem to talk about it, nothing has changed.

I was convinced there were things i would see in my lifetime, now in my mid 40's i am doubting I will. I'd love to live longer to see something actually happen.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a superb documentary on alzheimers / dementia no long ago.

as your brain gets older it gets buggered up, by two causes. As you can't regenerate the nephrons basically you can't undue the damage.

you might live forever with the body of a 20 year old but you'd be completely gaga.

not a nice scenario.

18 hours ago, RamNut said:

you might live forever with the body of a 20 year old but you'd be completely gaga.

not a nice scenario.

Yeah my Nan was a real health nut – she was really active, ate healthily, didn’t drink or smoke and took every supplement she could get her hands on – she lived to 96, but spent the last 15 years or so in a home like an empty shell as her mind had completely gone. Very sad

Archived