Who wants to live forever

Stive Pesley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39354628

A drug that can reverse aspects of ageing has been successfully trialled in animals, say scientists.

The team at Erasmus University Medical Center, in the Netherlands, are planning human trials for what they hope is a treatment for old age.

A UK scientist said the findings were "impossible to dismiss"

Raises an interesting philosophical point - with an ever increasing population and diminishing resource, wouldn't be absolutey screwed if suddenly everyone started living to 150 (for example)?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39354628

Raises an interesting philosophical point - with an ever increasing population and diminishing resource, wouldn't be absolutey screwed if suddenly everyone started living to 150 (for example)?

Yes, we are already screwed in terms of how long people live and how quickly the population is increasing. This would exacerbate the problem, especially since the study was only found to reverse "aspects" of aging. What use is it living to 150 if everyone has dementia by the time they're 110?

I wouldn't like to live forever, but I would like to exist as a consciousness to see what will happen in the future. I would also like the ability to annoy others over the internet for eternity.

A world of people who lived for a much longer time would be problematic. Simply in terms of resources.

I'd quite like to live forever, personally though. Mostly for academic reasons.

Depends on quality of life ,I would like to see my gran kids grow up a bit ,but as you get old you do get tired and I have seen many people who in their own minds have had enough .

You can't imagine that when you are young but how the hell do you motivate yourself when you are say in your nineties sitting there waiting to pop off.

On the up side surely you would see the Rams win something yes?

Sith Happens

Who wants to live forever? Well we all know we cant all live forever because 'in the end there can be only one'.

Sith Happens
41 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I've not watched that for donkeys.Have to give it a go again.

Cheers for reminding me.

Its a shame that they didn't stick to the there can be only one when it came to the number of films they made, there can be only five doesn't quite have the same ring.

PistoldPete2

This treatment can restore some organ function in old people. I could do with my organ function being restored. 

On 23/03/2017 at 17:25, Anon said:

Yes, we are already screwed in terms of how long people live and how quickly the population is increasing. This would exacerbate the problem, especially since the study was only found to reverse "aspects" of aging. What use is it living to 150 if everyone has dementia by the time they're 110?

I wouldn't like to live forever, but I would like to exist as a consciousness to see what will happen in the future. I would also like the ability to annoy others over the internet for eternity.

Would you download your consciousness to a computer? 

4 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Would you download your consciousness to a computer? 

I can just see that .. Then some geek will then decide I'm  a virus and all sorts of programmes will to eliminate me, or put me in a vault and I won't be able to do anything about it. I am now going to bed to have Tron themed nightmares. Thanks a lot ! 

9 minutes ago, jono said:

I can just see that .. Then some geek will then decide I'm  a virus and all sorts of programmes will to eliminate me, or put me in a vault and I won't be able to do anything about it. I am now going to bed to have Tron themed nightmares. Thanks a lot ! 

Haha. Sorry! Good job the clocks go forward so you won't have to endure it for as long.

I hope cartoon Jeff Bridges doesn't turn up. 

There's vast resources out in the solar system and then beyond. Extending lifespan is only a problem if you restrict humanity to Earth, but that's the surest way for our species to become extinct quickly anyway.

Lots of work is going on to cure ageing at the moment and I hope we all benefit from this progress soon. The research is about improving "healthpan" as well as lifespan. Wouldn't it be great to be 200 but have the body of a 20 year old? Expanding lifespan also makes it less problematic for humans to spread out through the galaxy in single lifetimes, rather than the moral dilemmas of generational ships/voyages.

i do not look at ageing as a disease, but as nature's way.  If i were offered a pill of even eternal youth i would not take it.  This life will have to do me until perhaps the next, or not, this i leave for other powers to decide

Sith Happens
13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There's vast resources out in the solar system and then beyond. Extending lifespan is only a problem if you restrict humanity to Earth, but that's the surest way for our species to become extinct quickly anyway.

Lots of work is going on to cure ageing at the moment and I hope we all benefit from this progress soon. The research is about improving "healthpan" as well as lifespan. Wouldn't it be great to be 200 but have the body of a 20 year old? Expanding lifespan also makes it less problematic for humans to spread out through the galaxy in single lifetimes, rather than the moral dilemmas of generational ships/voyages.

I'd love to have he body of a 20 year old :)

Archived