The Roy McFarland Way

Inverurie Ram

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Roy Mac was a player I met him when I had hitchhike from Norfolk to Derby only to discover the match had been abandoned, he was impressed that I used to hitchhike all the way to see them.  

Years later when Roy Mac was manager my step son never believed that I had spoken to Roy Mac until I took him to see Derby at Cambridge. As we were leaving the ground I let the Derby coach pull out from the car park and Roy Mac was stood in the doorway, he looked at me put his hand up and shouted my name. My stepsons face was a picture and he went round telling everyone that the Derby manager knew his dad. 

2 hours ago, Raminphilippines said:

When Roy Mac was a player I met him when I had hitchhike from Norfolk to Derby only to discover the match had been abandoned, he was impressed that I used to hitchhike all the way to see them.  

Years later when Roy Mac was manager my step son never believed that I had spoken to Roy Mac until I took him to see Derby at Cambridge. As we were leaving the ground I let the Derby coach pull out from the car park and Roy Mac was stood in the doorway, he looked at me put his hand up and shouted my name. My stepsons face was a picture and he went round telling everyone that the Derby manager knew his dad. 

great story:thumbsup:

Roy McFarland was one of the best English players of all time. Gave so much pleasure to thousands of us and is genuinely a really nice bloke.

Met him when he played for the Rams charity team a few times. Despite being a scouser he loves Derby. Its his second home. He'll talk about the 70's title winning sides, the Popside and the Baseball Ground all day.

Derby legend. 

On 3/22/2017 at 14:37, Paul71 said:

I dont want a footballer if i make to 100, i want Erika Eleniak coming out a birthday cake like the scene in under siege...that will do me.

That can be arranged, but how old would she be when you are 100? Eewwww

At the time I don't think I appreciated quite what a football genius he was, and modelled my game on Colin Todd instead. But now when I sometimes look back at those games, it's astonishing to find him popping up, say, on the left wing, and often in the opposition box, as the Rams played total football. If only we could have had that European Cup Final we should have against Ajax.

Should have played way more for England, but was also cursed by injuries. I've not read his autobiography but my old man recounts a tale of him collapsing in agony and Dave Mackay standing over him shouting for him to "get up, you coward". And he tried and got much more injured. Definitely a tale from a very diffferent era.

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

At the time I don't think I appreciated quite what a football genius he was, and modelled my game on Colin Todd instead. But now when I sometimes look back at those games, it's astonishing to find him popping up, say, on the left wing, and often in the opposition box, as the Rams played total football. If only we could have had that European Cup Final we should have against Ajax.

Should have played way more for England, but was also cursed by injuries. I've not read his autobiography but my old man recounts a tale of him collapsing in agony and Dave Mackay standing over him shouting for him to "get up, you coward". And he tried and got much more injured. Definitely a tale from a very diffferent era.

Could we have beat them?

14 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Could we have beat them?

They were the great European power at the time and won their third in a row when they beat Juve who cheated us out of it in the semifinal. But the final was only 1-0 and I felt our full strength team would definitely have been a match for Juve, and it was a one-off game. And Cloughie was in charge. Of course we could have beaten them. I'd have loved us to have had the opportunity to try.

5 minutes ago, Tombo said:

When I turn 100, I'm hoping for a visit from Will Hughes, who will have turned 100 2 months prior. We'll compromise and have a joined party some time in May 2095

The difference being he'll have been retired for over 60 years, and you'll probably have a few years work to go!

36 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

They were the great European power at the time and won their third in a row when they beat Juve who cheated us out of it in the semifinal. But the final was only 1-0 and I felt our full strength team would definitely have been a match for Juve, and it was a one-off game. And Cloughie was in charge. Of course we could have beaten them. I'd have loved us to have had the opportunity to try.

It would have been a greater achievement than beating Malmö that's for sure.

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

That can be arranged, but how old would she be when you are 100? Eewwww

If I make it to 100 and I can still think about that, then I won't mind.

On 23/3/2017 at 15:04, Raminphilippines said:

I met Roy at a colleague's wedding, he was a friend of her family. He was the manager at the time and it was the evening after a home game. He really was a great guy. He took the time to speak to everyone that approached him (and there were plenty) even though the last thing he probably wanted to do was talk football (luckily they had won that day). Great person and a great ambassador for the club that he obviously loves.

My daughter visited my family a couple of years back and my sister took her to the club shop to buy me a present. As it was a match day they saw Roy in the car park and even though my daughter didn't have a clue who he was he was more than happy to have a photo taken.

IMG_0666.JPG

Me and a mate once knocked on his door to ask if he wanted to come for a kickabout with us.

mrs mac explained that they were about to go on holiday otherwise she thought he definately would!

there is great affection for roy from everyone in Derby

wonderful player.

Hard to believe that a back four of webster nish mcfarland and todd ever let a goal in.

A friend and I were watching the Rams train at Raynesway when Roy was the manager it started pelting it down Roy jogged over to us and told us to go and sit in the main building "You can sit in the warm and watch through the windows"After he came and chatted for ages.

A true gentleman who always had time for the fans and still does 

Archived