Should mid-season sackings be banned?

rhysbeck

An interesting idea? Especially when keeping in mind how we've pretty much flown through managers lately!

While it's a tempting concept to try out, I feel like actually imposing such ban would get pretty tedious and you'd have to implement a bunch of sub-rules/exceptions/etc to allow for all the different scenarios that could crop up.

Also there'd have to be a way to discourage loopholes, such as clubs perhaps "encouraging" a manager to announce his own resignation if performances have been poor, thereby getting around not "technically" sacking the manager.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10808957/should-mid-season-sackings-be-banned-gary-neville-has-his-say

'

Should mid-season manager sackings be banned? Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville said he would support the idea that managers could not be sacked during a campaign.

In a week where Aitor Karanka lost his job at Middlesbrough, Martin Tyler, who was co-commentating on Man City's draw with Liverpool alongside Neville, asked the former Manchester United defender whether a transfer window for managers should be introduced.

Swansea, Crystal Palace, Hull and Leicester have all changed their managers and have seen an upturn in fortunes, while Arsene Wenger is under increasing pressure from Arsenal supporters after a number of poor results, but Neville wouldn't be against stopping teams chopping and changing during the season in the future.

I would support completely the idea that managers can't be sacked during the season," Neville told The Gary Neville Podcast.

"When you set off at the start of the season with a manager then he has to be your manager for the entire season. Football would support it, in terms of the professional side - I'm not sure whether the owners would.

"But it would mean the players would know you're going to be the manager until the end of the season, they'd have to get on with it."

Nearly all of the sides that have changed managers this season have enjoyed a turnaround in fortunes under their new regimes, and according to Neville, those success stories give other owners the confidence to keep changing managers.

"Teams are making changes at the bottom of the league and I'm almost sitting there thinking 'I wish this doesn't work' because when it does, it gives others the confidence to change their manager," he added.

"There have been examples where it's worked when managers are sacked and where it hasn't. I'm not sure there is a distinction between either. It seems to be more the done thing where you do sack the manager at the earliest point as the players respond.

"We've seen that at Leicester - what an incredible bounce they've had. It's happened at Swansea and Hull."

'

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's a nice idea, but it'd end up a bit like transfer windows with top managers being hoarded within big clubs under various titles with duties relating to the first team described in such terms as to allow sackings to still be made with the unfortunate reassigned internally.

....with a transfer market every summer for managers in contract.

No thanks.

There should be just three days when you can sack the manager:

xmas eve, pancake day, and easter Monday

And they should all be televised

and then to get a new manager, they should stick a load of balls in a bag, and get ruud gullit to pick the balls, and mel morris to read the names out.

"Nottinham forest.........number 2........mark warburton.............derby county.............number 6...........gary rowett..........ooooh"

No to title question

There shouldn't even be a transfer window for players.

Infact because most football clubs state they want to be run like any other business, I'd scrap all transfers, transfer fees and contracts for managers and players. Let clubs hire and fire, make redundant who ever they want whenever they want. Players and managers would still be paid obscene amounts of money but with no cushy contract they'd just have to put a shift in each week or get the sack, pretty much like most of the country's work force.

13 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Players should also be sackable.

They are - you would have to pay up their contract though (as it should be)

10 hours ago, eddie said:

They are - you would have to pay up their contract though (as it should be)

I disagree, if you are employed to perform a task and you fail to do that then, after due process, you where found not capable, unwilling or unable then you are released, and payments stopped.  If I stop doing my job to the level that is expected of me, then I will go through the disciplinary route and removed if my contribution does not improve.  Exceptions would be ill health.

I find it fundamentally wrong that a contract is rewarded to a footballer, and for that matter a contractor in the 'real world' and if they fail to deliver a standard that is agreed it is virtually impossible to do anything about it.

29 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Should people who stop going due to results be banned?

.....and people who criticise the chairman's lack of sausage.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

I disagree, if you are employed to perform a task and you fail to do that then, after due process, you where found not capable, unwilling or unable then you are released, and payments stopped.  If I stop doing my job to the level that is expected of me, then I will go through the disciplinary route and removed if my contribution does not improve.  Exceptions would be ill health.

I find it fundamentally wrong that a contract is rewarded to a footballer, and for that matter a contractor in the 'real world' and if they fail to deliver a standard that is agreed it is virtually impossible to do anything about it.

Unworkable in a team game, though. Is a player really always at fault for a poor performance or is it a team set up/communication failure?. Just imagine the unfair dismissal tribunals and squad morale detroying finger pointing which would result.

15 hours ago, 1of4 said:

No to title question

There shouldn't even be a transfer window for players.

Infact because most football clubs state they want to be run like any other business, I'd scrap all transfers, transfer fees and contracts for managers and players. Let clubs hire and fire, make redundant who ever they want whenever they want. Players and managers would still be paid obscene amounts of money but with no cushy contract they'd just have to put a shift in each week or get the sack, pretty much like most of the country's work force.

this would ruin most smaller clubs, and kill academies. You must have a form of compensation for your investment.

I would like to prevent all clubs releasing any player under the age of 20, and no transfers until 21 either.

Archived