Guardiola admits he was lucky at Barca & Bayern

David

Pep Guardiola has admitted Manchester City will be a bigger test of his managerial credentials than Bayern Munich or Barcelona.

City crashed out of the Champions League to Monaco on away goals at the last-16 stage, the first time in Guardiola's career he has failed to reach at least the semi-finals.

The Spaniard, who won a combined 21 trophies in charge of Barcelona and Bayern Munich, conceded he was fortunate at previous clubs and believes it will take more time to get things right at the Etihad.

"It will take a longer time to put the team out I want," Guardiola told Sky Sports News HQ ahead of City's Super Sunday clash with Liverpool. "The other clubs, for many other reasons, were a little bit closer. Here it will take more time.

"That's what I like. It is the first time in my career as a manager when I feel now is the moment. The other ones I was so lucky as a manager.

"Now is the first time I want to help the team, not just in terms of titles - they are important - but the way we play so people say, 'Pep could do that again in a team in England like Manchester City.'"

When asked to compare his current position to previous stints at Barca and Bayern, Guardiola said City need to learn how "to play like a contender" at major tournaments, comparing their current problem to a similar one suffered by the England national team.

He added: "I love this club and I want to be here for a long, long time. Many, many times how City do it was sooner than Barcelona and Bayern Munich so I am really impressed.

"But in other terms we have something that means we need more time. We need more experience to become a stable team.

"It's like the England national team. I cannot deny the quality for all the English players playing for Gareth Southgate. They are top.

"But they must achieve that level, arrive there and win. In that moment the media, the people, the players themselves, they will believe they are able to play against Germany in a big competition - not in a friendly game - against Spain, Italy and win.

"You need to be there and to make that process. At Manchester City it's like this. You have to make that process and when you arrive in a semi-final, play like a contender, play like you are able to win.

"But you have to be there and win. Until we make the gap it will always be there."

Guardiola comes up against Jurgen Klopp when Liverpool visit on Super Sunday but the City head coach downplayed similarities between the two.

"He celebrates goals much better than me! He hugs his players better than me! He is a charismatic trainer. I admire him a lot," he continued.

"As a foreign trainer going to Germany, when he had a lot of success, how he took care of me. The first day when I lost the Super Cup, how gentle he was, and when he won and I won.

"He's a top trainer and of course the way we play is completely different. I am Catalan and he is German so the influence is completely different.

"It is always a pleasure to face the big trainers in the world and test myself against them."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/10805514/pep-guardiola-admits-manchester-city-a-bigger-test-than-bayern-munich-or-barcelona?utm_source=Direct

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, David said:

"It will take a longer time to put the team out I want," Guardiola told Sky Sports News HQ ahead of City's Super Sunday clash with Liverpool.

As much as i enjoy the way his team's play the problem for Guardiola is if the team 'he wants' is the right sort of team for the Premier League. There are still real doubts about his ability to build and organise an effective defensive unit. His strategy at Barcelona was simply not to allow opposing teams to have the ball at all and obviously that worked wonderfully most of the time. But still, the Barca defence creaked on the rare occasions that it was put under pressure even with the excellent Puyol at the heart of it. A similar domination of possession worked well for him at Bayern, in the league at least. If he can't build a similarly overwhelmingly dominant midfield at Man City....then he will have to build a decent defence and he still has to prove he is capable of doing that.

City was always going to be a massive task as they don't have the players to play the sort of football Guardiola wants.

Raheem Sterling for instance cost £50m. They guy has no football brain or technical ability whatsoever. If he was Spanish and in La Liga, he'd cost about £5m and he'd be playing for a Deportivo or Malaga. 

Guardiola is smart in that he wants to keep morale high in the City camp, but deep down he knows he has to make nunerous changes to the squad.

Aside from De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero, City don't have any proper elite level players and even still those 3 would only be bench players at Barca, Bayern or Real Madrid.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

City was always going to be a massive task as they don't have the players to play the sort of football Guardiola wants.

Raheem Sterling for instance cost £50m. They guy has no football brain or technical ability whatsoever. If he was Spanish and in La Liga, he'd cost about £5m and he'd be playing for a Deportivo or Malaga. 

Guardiola is smart in that he wants to keep morale high in the City camp, but deep down he knows he has to make nunerous changes to the squad.

Aside from De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero, City don't have any proper elite level players and even still those 3 would only be bench players at Barca, Bayern or Real Madrid.

Sterlings been decent this season apparently and De Bruyne and Aguero have been crap.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What does that say about his recruitment last summer? 

57 minutes ago, David said:

What does that say about his recruitment last summer? 

Guardiola's recruitment?

Well Stones, Sane and Gabriel Jesus were brought in as future elite players.

Gundogan is a class player but has injury problems. Bravo is a top keeper but I wouldn't put him at elite level like Neuer, Ter Stegan or De Gea but these aren't available. Nolito was only ever brought in as a squad player with Navas and Nasri ageing.

Elite level players in their prime cost £60m these days. I don't think City can just go out and spend £300m on players for now.

They have to buy players with elite level potential. That's the only way they can do it.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:37, Bris Vegas said:

Sterling has been pretty much their player of the season.....and as for your later post that Stones was bought as a "future elite player"......come on Bris, even you don't believe that...he has been an absolute liability every single game....and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Aguero on his way out in the summer....and expect one of your massive clubs like Real or Bayern to be leading the race to sign him.

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Sterling has been pretty much their player of the season.....and as for your later post that Stones was bought as a "future elite player"......come on Bris, even you don't believe that...he has been an absolute liability every single game....and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Aguero on his way out in the summer....and expect one of your massive clubs like Real or Bayern to be leading the race to sign him.

Stones was bought for his potential. He was hardly bought as an elite player now, as most thought he was poor last season myself included.

Aguero has underperformed too. Guardiola likes his CFs to be involved in the build-up play too but Aguero is pretty much just a lethal goalscorer these days.

As for Sterling. Not sure what games you've been watching but he is one of the main culprits if City's attacks breaking down. No intelligence, poor ball control and relies only on instincts.

Second top goal scorer and assists for City this season, 4 man of the match awards on par with Aguero and De Bryune and the only City player to win a Premier League player of the month award.

Must be doing something right.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Stones was bought for his potential. He was hardly bought as an elite player now, as most thought he was poor last season myself included.

Aguero has underperformed too. Guardiola likes his CFs to be involved in the build-up play too but Aguero is pretty much just a lethal goalscorer these days.

As for Sterling. Not sure what games you've been watching but he is one of the main culprits if City's attacks breaking down. No intelligence, poor ball control and relies only on instincts.

Stones will never ever make it as a top class centre half, never, he just isn't good enough. He is a poor mans Paul Blades. 

Sterling, as @David says is one of the best player they have this season, I guess you haven't been watching too closely over there.?

Stones has age on his side, he's only 22. He's at the right club with the right manager to improve no end, he's already an established centre half in the PL so there's no reason why he can't continue to improve and become a top class centre half.

Unlike a lot of young rated players he's actually at the top level, playing in the PL, Champs league and for England.  

32 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

He's at the right club with the right manager to improve no end, he's already an established centre half in the PL so there's no reason why he can't continue to improve and become a top class centre half.

Not for me. At City it's only ever going to be his on the ball ability that's going to be coached a great deal and utilised in game.  He should have spent a year under Koeman and would probably benefit from going to a backs against the wall team for a year.

Look at Keane, when we had him on loan he was better on the ball than Keogh but not as good defensively. Defensively he's improved loads at Burnley. 

You could even make the same argument for Keogh since we had Clement in.

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

Not for me. At City it's only ever going to be his on the ball ability that's going to be coached a great deal and utilised in game.  He should have spent a year under Koeman and would probably benefit from going to a backs against the wall team for a year.

Look at Keane, when we had him on loan he was better on the ball than Keogh but not as good defensively. Defensively he's improved loads at Burnley. 

Same.  I struggle to see what everybody raves about.  So he can carry the ball into midfield, big whoop, so did Mark Wright, 30 years ago, and Keogh does today... I think everyone's so enamoured with him because he represents what all managers look for in a defender nowadays, "Is he good on the ball, can he pick a pass?".  It's as if being a defender isn't about actual defending anymore.

As for Sterling, massively overrated.  £50m players don't regularly miss gilt-edged chances like he does.  Plus he runs like Thelma from Scooby-Doo...

26 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Same.  I struggle to see what everybody raves about.  So he can carry the ball into midfield, big whoop, so did Mark Wright, 30 years ago, and Keogh does today... I think everyone's so enamoured with him because he represents what all managers look for in a defender nowadays, "Is he good on the ball, can he pick a pass?".  It's as if being a defender isn't about actual defending anymore.

Don't get me wrong, if you want your team to play it out from the back then it is crucial that they're good on the ball and it IS better to have an average defender who's good on the ball than a defensively immense player who can't pass. 

Stones' problem is that he's never really had to learn his trade as a defender. Half a season at Barnsley as a full-back, never played under Moyes then it's been either Martinez or Guardiola since then. 

For his own personal development Stones would have been better off staying at Everton under Koeman (who would probably have improved him all round) or even having a year at Burnley. 

Personally I'd have signed Stones and immediately loaned him back for the year.

54 minutes ago, cannable said:

To think ability on the ball is the only area he's going to be focused on is pretty naive IMO but at the same time that's what is going to make him stand out from the normal head it and kick it defenders we churn out normally. Half our centre backs struggle to run never mind pass a football. He'll improve defensively too, there's no question about that. There's no reason why he can't play for the likes of Barca, Madrid etc in the future if he keeps improving. 

Let's not pretend he's a terrible defender either. Whilst not first choice he's still played his fair share for City this season, with 3 seasons at Everton in the PL previously too. Constantly picked for England. You're not a bad player when you're ticking these boxes. 

We like to big up young players in this country before they have even fulfilled a quarter of their potential, Will Hughes a great example, he's achieved **** all. Yet as soon as these young players actually prove they can step up all they get is criticism. They're young and they'll make mistakes. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

To think ability on the ball is the only area he's going to be focused on is pretty naive IMO but at the same time that's what is going to make him stand out from the normal head it and kick it defenders we churn out normally. Half our centre backs struggle to run never mind pass a football. He'll improve defensively too, there's no question about that. There's no reason why he can't play for the likes of Barca, Madrid etc in the future if he keeps improving. 

Let's not pretend he's a terrible defender either. Whilst not first choice he's still played his fair share for City this season, with 3 seasons at Everton in the PL previously too. Constantly picked for England. You're not a bad player when you're ticking these boxes. 

We like to big up young players in this country before they have even fulfilled a quarter of their potential, Will Hughes a great example, he's achieved **** all. Yet as soon as these young players actually prove they can step up all they get is criticism. They're young and they'll make mistakes. 

Again though, it's going to be what he's already strong at which is going to be the focus. 

As mentioned in my previous post, Martinez valued ball-playing above all else. 

Give him a season somewhere who'll focus on defending. He's not gonna lose his ability on the ball.

I'm not writing Stones off, I just feel as though a year elsewhere would be best for his development. 

19 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Stones has age on his side, he's only 22. He's at the right club with the right manager to improve no end, he's already an established centre half in the PL so there's no reason why he can't continue to improve and become a top class centre half.

Unlike a lot of young rated players he's actually at the top level, playing in the PL, Champs league and for England.  

Like....Phil jones and Chris Smalling who  are both young, at a massive club with a great manager, playing at the top of the premiershite and for their country....and are both a total bag of dog excrement..?

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Like....Phil jones and Chris Smalling who  are both young, at a massive club with a great manager, playing at the top of the premiershite and for their country....and are both a total bag of dog excrement..?

"Total bag of dog excrement" is pretty strong muespach, whilst not world beaters they're good players who are more than good enough to play for top sides in the PL. Both have had their injury problems, especially Jones, which is never going to help their development. They're both much older than Stones too yet have only played half a seasons more games than him in the PL. 

As if Smalling is 27 by the way, I thought he was 22 years old, at a max. :lol:

Archived