Squad Cull

Gritty

I would move on, either loan or sale

Bent, Wiemann, blackman, olsson, butterfield, bryson, camara, russell, Christie.

Nothing against any of these players, 2 haven't really had a good run. My team for next season would prob look like.

Carson

Baird/new player   Keogh   Shackell  Fozzy/Lowe

Johnson/Thorne

Ince                          Hughes                 Anya/New player

Nugent

Vydra.

Summat like that anyroad :p

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Davide said:

I think Baird, Camara, Blackman and Weimann will go. I hope Bent , Hughes  Carson, Ince, Nugent, Martin and Keogh stay. Others not fussed either way if we get good money / buy better alternatives. think we need a new right back / left back if Forsyth doesn't come back and one more midfielder who is better than Butterfield. 

I think we probably need three new midfield players, two full backs and a centre half. A striker would be nice.

To fund all that we will not only have to sell the 'deadwood' but also players who will net us some cash.

As well as those you list, Olsson should go (probably rather than Baird) and I wouldn't lose any sleep if Christie went.

Keogh might be sacrificed for the right fee. Ince too. I would happily lose Bryson and Butterfield to upgrade and I think Bent might see out his career overseas.

We need sweeping change not tinkering and a focus on character not occasional stars.

And some taller players would be nice so we can defend bloody corners! 

hopefully due to the increase in transfer fees,we will only take a hit on two players,shackle due to his injury/age,and blackman who has never been a footballer,i think reading slipped us a crippler and sold us the wrong guy.none of the others are bad players,they just have'nt worked out for us but will still have a market value that has probably increased since they arrived

3 hours ago, TINMANTED said:

hopefully due to the increase in transfer fees,we will only take a hit on two players,shackle due to his injury/age,and blackman who has never been a footballer,i think reading slipped us a crippler and sold us the wrong guy.none of the others are bad players,they just have'nt worked out for us but will still have a market value that has probably increased since they arrived

Blackman has not done much but to be fair he's never had a run up front- like Vydra and Weimann, a striker put as a wide man. 

For me the following should go:

Shackell, Olsson (maybe wait til Jan so we know Fozzy's fitness), Butterfield, Blackman, Bent, Camara, Weimann, Russell. I would also sell Ince, not because he's had a bad season (far from it) but we need to sell at least one of our assets for the rebuild and to cover our losses on some of the above.

Ins 

A new CB - Hanley from geordies possibly

A new DM to compete with George and Bradley (I'm thinking 4-2-3-1 here)

Tom Lawrence, Ollie Watkins, Bakary Sako

And obviously Chris Martin to return.

That for me would give us a hungry competitive balanced squad that could compete for promotion. It would also reduce the wage bill and not break the bank on the transfer front.

5 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

For me the following should go:

Shackell, Olsson (maybe wait til Jan so we know Fozzy's fitness), Butterfield, Blackman, Bent, Camara, Weimann, Russell. I would also sell Ince, not because he's had a bad season (far from it) but we need to sell at least one of our assets for the rebuild and to cover our losses on some of the above.

Ins 

A new CB - Hanley from geordies possibly

A new DM to compete with George and Bradley (I'm thinking 4-2-3-1 here)

Tom Lawrence, Ollie Watkins, Bakary Sako

And obviously Chris Martin to return.

That for me would give us a hungry competitive balanced squad that could compete for promotion. It would also reduce the wage bill and not break the bank on the transfer front.

Mccormack, assombalonga, Kenny burns and Andy Reid. 

Now THAT would be a hungry squad :lol:

5 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Before we bring in a host of more overpaid under performing players, if like to see Bennett Lowe Elsnik Vernam Hanson Rawson etc all giving chances!

I agree with the sentiment but sadly feel only Lowe from your list would be good enough. Vernam and Rawson have hardly set the world alight at Coventry, Bennett is still the naive kid whose feet and heart race at 100mph and Hanson the honest worker who probably belongs in somewhere between the championship and Div1. Elsnik needs to develop the physical side of his game but also needs to be the outstanding player in the youth side on a consistent basis to demand a bench place.

We do need to look at why good youth players can't step up. Also, are they hungry enough for success?

On 03/21/2017 at 18:15, BobbyD said:

I think overall Darren has done a good job for Derby County, far better than I expected when we took him on. His goalscoring stats speak for themselves.

I suspect he won't be with us after the end of the season, mainly for financial reasons ; the squad needs to be pruned and he is out of contract. Its time for change and his job for us is done. 

But its a terrible shame the unrespectful  way some fans are referring to him. It doesn't reflect at all well on the club or its supporters.

Whats wrong with saying "thanks for what you have done on behalf of DCFC, Darren, and best of luck in the future" ?

I agree with this. I didn't want Bent in the first place but I've been pleasantly surprised by his attitude and willingness to adapt his game etc. I don't think he's been the right kind of striker for our system but he has earned some respect.

Now is the time to give the youngsters a chance to impress tbh. Either they've got it or they ain't. Let's find out BEFORE we rebuild the squad. If they've got it, they've got a place in the squad like Lowe. If they ain't, they need more development and you put them back in the U23s.

PistoldPete2
12 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree with the sentiment but sadly feel only Lowe from your list would be good enough. Vernam and Rawson have hardly set the world alight at Coventry, Bennett is still the naive kid whose feet and heart race at 100mph and Hanson the honest worker who probably belongs in somewhere between the championship and Div1. Elsnik needs to develop the physical side of his game but also needs to be the outstanding player in the youth side on a consistent basis to demand a bench place.

We do need to look at why good youth players can't step up. Also, are they hungry enough for success?

VErnam has been injured hasnt he which is why he hasn't featured for Coventry. Add Zanzala to the list. How has Hanson been doing at Wigan ? He's a handy utility player isn't he? 

Add Callum Guy to the list too - been doing well at Port Vale. 

For me -

keepers need no change - maybe Roos to leave

Full backs - keep Lowe (potentially a long term first teamer) and Forsyth with Olson to leave on the left

On the right  - not really convinced by anyone - Cyrus has been great occasionally but we could probably offload for a decent fee while Baird is maybe one more year at most.

centre backs - feels like Rawson has gone backwards this year while either Pearce or Shackell (presumably Shackell) has to move to a regular starting position elsewhere.

In midfield - The optimist in me says Hughes and Thorne will be at the heart of everything next year - and I think we need the energy of a Callum Guy and/or Timi Max/Hanson in the squad too. That means 2 of Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield shipping out. 

Up front -  i'm absolutely sceptical on Chris Martin but let's hope. I think Nugent and Vydra are both quality and worth keeping. Ince, like Hughesy, we hold unless we get a massive offer. I'm optimistic on Zanzala but a big injury to come back from. Vernam might also make the first team squad. 

Bent's delivered the goals but isn't the future - Blackman and Camara hopefully have some sell on value..

so for me it's a big clear out of big wages - Baird, Olson, Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Bent, Blackman, Camara - let's just not replace them with more expensive journeymen, instead give a chance to some of the young talent that cares about their big break. 

Just now, singaporeram said:

Add Callum Guy to the list too - been doing well at Port Vale. 

For me -

keepers need no change - maybe Roos to leave

Full backs - keep Lowe (potentially a long term first teamer) and Forsyth with Olson to leave on the left

On the right  - not really convinced by anyone - Cyrus has been great occasionally but we could probably offload for a decent fee while Baird is maybe one more year at most.

centre backs - feels like Rawson has gone backwards this year while either Pearce or Shackell (presumably Shackell) has to move to a regular starting position elsewhere.

In midfield - The optimist in me says Hughes and Thorne will be at the heart of everything next year - and I think we need the energy of a Callum Guy and/or Timi Max/Hanson in the squad too. That means 2 of Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield shipping out. 

Up front -  i'm absolutely sceptical on Chris Martin but let's hope. I think Nugent and Vydra are both quality and worth keeping. Ince, like Hughesy, we hold unless we get a massive offer. I'm optimistic on Zanzala but a big injury to come back from. Vernam might also make the first team squad. 

Bent's delivered the goals but isn't the future - Blackman and Camara hopefully have some sell on value..

so for me it's a big clear out of big wages - Baird, Olson, Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Bent, Blackman, Camara - let's just not replace them with more expensive journeymen, instead give a chance to some of the young talent that cares about their big break. 

Some good points made in this post. I just had a couple of thoughts to add.

- as an alternative to expensive journeymen v growing our own,  we could deliberately target an upcoming purchase eg ollie watkins 

- we could also actually have a plan for some positions. Eg right back. If we think Christie has reached his limit then why not target a young improver to take over the position in say 12 months time and use baird to cover the position in the interim? 

On 3/21/2017 at 15:51, ramsbottom said:

I've now got an image of GR leading Butterfield et al over to a quite corner of Moor Farm, where Mel awaits with a bolt gun :lol:

I'd let go of Shackell, Olsson, Butterfield, Anya, Russell, Bryson, Weimann, Bent & even Ince or Hughes if the moneys good.  A lot them are on far too cushy contracts.  I’d rather have hungry young players with a point to prove.  I’d only flog Ince or Hughes for (for our club) stupid money.  If Hendrick went for £10m, the both of them would command £15m at the very least.  With this talk of a new pay structure, it sounds as though FFP, and wages in particular is becoming a bit of a concern…

On 3/21/2017 at 17:15, Anag Ram said:

No, I would agree that anyone is expendable.

It's about getting a winning formula not just about having good players.

It may be time to get rid of the old guard.

After all groundhog day involves the same personnel as well as the same results,

Yes because let's face it, outstanding footballers are cheap and in plentiful supply and we can easily find another Hughes and Ince can't we. :mellow:

Now let's wise up...you don't sell Hughes and Ince; you build a team around them. And actually we've already got a squad capable of gaining promotion. So let's not be daft. It's not about a "cull" it's about a "prune":

1. Christie - sell. I can't ever remember his crosses doing anything other than finding thin air and he gets exposed and allows too many opposition crosses; get that lad from Scotland who Mac went to watch just before Xmas.

2. Olsson - sell. He will be third choice behind Forsyth and Lowe.

3. Butterfield - sell. Not quite good enough really and has actually declined as a player in the last 2 years.

4. Weimann - sell. Works hard and is quick but doesn't have a football brain.

5. Blackman - it just doesn't work with Blackman. I don't think he is a Championship player. A rabbitt in the headlights that is permanently injured.

6. Camara - not a Championship player either.

With Thorne, Forsyth, Martin back and a fit Bryson {those who say he isn't good enough/past it need their bumps feeling} and a fit Shackell we have a very good side. Try Vydra/Martin together and alternate with Nugent. Purchase another decent box-to-box midfielder and we're there. Those who also say we should sell Russell, Shackell need to sober up.Those who say this team/squad are "bottlers" and other such things don't understand football. I would also like to see Farend Rawson play; the guy is a beast and deserves a chance. There will be a pruning certainly as Gary Rowett says in the interview on Ramsplayer "we need small, versatile numbers..." [ie a smaller squad] "...& players not too far away from playing." [ie those with a real chance of first team football ]. So maybe curtains for the likes of Jamie Hanson and Mason Bennett who are sadly, "nearly men".  

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes because let's face it, outstanding footballers are cheap and in plentiful supply and we can easily find another Hughes and Ince can't we. :mellow:

Now let's wise up...you don't sell Hughes and Ince; you build a team around them. And actually we've already got a squad capable of gaining promotion. So let's not be daft. It's not about a "cull" it's about a "prune":

1. Christie - sell. I can't ever remember his crosses doing anything other than finding thin air and he gets exposed and allows too many opposition crosses; get that lad from Scotland who Mac went to watch just before Xmas.

2. Olsson - sell. He will be third choice behind Forsyth and Lowe.

3. Butterfield - sell. Not quite good enough really and has actually declined as a player in the last 2 years.

4. Weimann - sell. Works hard and is quick but doesn't have a football brain.

5. Blackman - it just doesn't work with Blackman. I don't think he is a Championship player. A rabbitt in the headlights that is permanently injured.

6. Camara - not a Championship player either.

With Thorne, Forsyth, Martin back and a fit Bryson {those who say he isn't good enough/past it need their bumps feeling} and a fit Shackell we have a very good side. Try Vydra/Martin together and alternate with Nugent. Purchase another decent box-to-box midfielder and we're there. Those who also say we should sell Russell, Shackell need to sober up.Those who say this team/squad are "bottlers" and other such things don't understand football. I would also like to see Farend Rawson play; the guy is a beast and deserves a chance. There will be a pruning certainly as Gary Rowett says in the interview on Ramsplayer "we need small, versatile numbers..." [ie a smaller squad] "...& players not too far away from playing." [ie those with a real chance of first team football ]. So maybe curtains for the likes of Jamie Hanson and Mason Bennett who are sadly, "nearly men".  

Agree with all that but I think Hanson and maybe Bennett are worth hanging on to a bit longer. I'd definitely want to see more of Elsnik and Rawson. The one that I Was sorry to see go was ssasemwankambo ( sorry about the spelling ! ) thought he had something but wasn't getting the chances. 

Keep Anya. He is the versatile player we need out wide or at full back.......either side of the pitch.  Fast, can get round defenders , and put in an accurate pass.  And very willing and committed.  AND used to playing alongside Vydra.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Agree with all that but I think Hanson and maybe Bennett are worth hanging on to a bit longer. I'd definitely want to see more of Elsnik and Rawson. The one that I Was sorry to see go was ssasemwankambo ( sorry about the spelling ! ) thought he had something but wasn't getting the chances. 

I share the sentiment about Hanson and Bennett; but both have had chances and they haven't imposed themselves enough when those chances have arrived. I think the other chap with the unpronounceable name left because he ran out of patience. 

Archived