Squad Cull

Gritty

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously Bent, Baird and Christie can just be released, however other departures depend on someone making a bid or a loan request. Rowett will put together a list of potential recruits though they in turn will depend on sales first.

I see us trying to sell/loan 3 wingers and buy/loan one. A net reduction of 2.

I also see us trying to offload 2 CM and buy one. If Thorne recovers fully maybe offload 3. Net reduction of 1 or 2.

If Forsyth recovers fully, I see Olsson made available. 

So overall a net reduction of 3 to 5.

Sales, loans or releases in other areas would need a straight replacement.

This takes into account releasing Bent and Martin coming back. 

On 18/03/2017 at 20:07, sage said:

Obviously Bent, Baird and Christie can just be released, however other departures depend on someone making a bid or a loan request. Rowett will put together a list of potential recruits though they in turn will depend on sales first.

I see us trying to sell/loan 3 wingers and buy/loan one. A net reduction of 2.

I also see us trying to offload 2 CM and buy one. If Thorne recovers fully maybe offload 3. Net reduction of 1 or 2.

If Forsyth recovers fully, I see Olsson made available. 

So overall a net reduction of 3 to 5.

Sales, loans or releases in other areas would need a straight replacement.

This takes into account releasing Bent and Martin coming back. 

I believe Christie has another year left on his contract. I am sure Steve Nicholson has said that. @Derby_EnglandLoyal has said similar as well.

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

I believe Christie has another year left on his contract. I am sure Steve Nicholson has said that. @Derby_EnglandLoyal has said similar as well.

Nicholson said options on Bent and Christie had been taken up...a day later the club said (or McClaren said) that nobody had had their contract renewed and that they would wait until the summer. 

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

Christie is an odd one for me. I tend to think of him as an exciting attacking RB which makes up for (or attributes to) his defensive frailties. But I'd like to know how many assists he's actually had or how many times he's been involved in a positive attacking move that resulted in a goal. Got a feeling he flatters to deceive, especially if you compare his contribution to our other attacking left-back, Forsyth. 

Maybe it's time for him to move on.

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Nicholson said options on Bent and Christie had been taken up...a day later the club said (or McClaren said) that nobody had had their contract renewed and that they would wait until the summer. 

I must have missed that from Mac then.

7 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Christie is an odd one for me. I tend to think of him as an exciting attacking RB which makes up for (or attributes to) his defensive frailties. But I'd like to know how many assists he's actually had or how many times he's been involved in a positive attacking move that resulted in a goal. Got a feeling he flatters to deceive, especially if you compare his contribution to our other attacking left-back, Forsyth. 

According to https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134111/History/Cyrus-Christie he has 0 assists this season, 3 last season and 6 the season before (league games only) Although to be fair, he should have had one against Brighton from Bent's header.

19 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Opposition teams have worked him out in Derby's system unfortunately. They know not to dive in, so they just jockey him down the wing while giving him no room to cross. If he does get a cross in, it's so ineffective because the position he's crossing from is so tight.

His other problem is that him and Ince don't gel, from christies pov he needs Ince to drag players out of position to give him space but instead he goes down the wing making it more tight. That's not me criticising either of them but it just shows they don't gel. If Ince stays, they need to get a RB to compliment him (not just Baird)

45 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Opposition teams have worked him out in Derby's system unfortunately. They know not to dive in, so they just jockey him down the wing while giving him no room to cross. If he does get a cross in, it's so ineffective because the position he's crossing from is so tight.

His other problem is that him and Ince don't gel, from christies pov he needs Ince to drag players out of position to give him space but instead he goes down the wing making it more tight. That's not me criticising either of them but it just shows they don't gel. If Ince stays, they need to get a RB to compliment him (not just Baird)

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see whether or not Rowett can set up a system which suits both of them

On 3/16/2017 at 23:14, ram1964 said:

Culling the squad, I had envisaged some one with a bloody big baton wielding it around moor farm,be a lot easier than trying to move on some of these players .has GR got a baton??

I've now got an image of GR leading Butterfield et al over to a quite corner of Moor Farm, where Mel awaits with a bolt gun :lol:

I'd let go of Shackell, Olsson, Butterfield, Anya, Russell, Bryson, Weimann, Bent & even Ince or Hughes if the moneys good.  A lot them are on far too cushy contracts.  I’d rather have hungry young players with a point to prove.  I’d only flog Ince or Hughes for (for our club) stupid money.  If Hendrick went for £10m, the both of them would command £15m at the very least.  With this talk of a new pay structure, it sounds as though FFP, and wages in particular is becoming a bit of a concern…

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

I've now got an image of GR leading Butterfield et al over to a quite corner of Moor Farm, where Mel awaits with a bolt gun :lol:

I'd let go of Shackell, Olsson, Butterfield, Anya, Russell, Bryson, Weimann, Bent & even Ince or Hughes if the moneys good.  A lot them are on far too cushy contracts.  I’d rather have hungry young players with a point to prove.  I’d only flog Ince or Hughes for (for our club) stupid money.  If Hendrick went for £10m, the both of them would command £15m at the very least.  With this talk of a new pay structure, it sounds as though FFP, and wages in particular is becoming a bit of a concern…

With comments like that about selling Ince and Hughes I think it's you that should be lead to a quiet corner awaiting the bolt gun ?

5 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

With comments like that about selling Ince and Hughes I think it's you that should be lead to a quiet corner awaiting the bolt gun ?

No, I would agree that anyone is expendable.

It's about getting a winning formula not just about having good players.

It may be time to get rid of the old guard.

After all groundhog day involves the same personnel as well as the same results,

With FFP we will have to sell one of our main assets in order to enable a rebuild to cover the money we will lose on the shocking signings made in 2015 and 2016. Ince fits the bill, plus he will want to play in the premier league if given the opportunity.

I would also be tempted to sell Hughes as unsure where he fits in the team going forward. He's not an attacking mid and doesn't have physicality to play defensive mid. He would be better suited to the Premier  League than championship but he needs to kick on and prove himself or he will go the way of Josh McEacharan and remain a decent championship player. Also, his stock and value is dropping based on his form since the turn of the year (Leicester game apart). Not sure what we would get for him.

I think overall Darren has done a good job for Derby County, far better than I expected when we took him on. His goalscoring stats speak for themselves.

I suspect he won't be with us after the end of the season, mainly for financial reasons ; the squad needs to be pruned and he is out of contract. Its time for change and his job for us is done. 

But its a terrible shame the unrespectful  way some fans are referring to him. It doesn't reflect at all well on the club or its supporters.

Whats wrong with saying "thanks for what you have done on behalf of DCFC, Darren, and best of luck in the future" ?

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

I think overall Darren has done a good job for Derby County, far better than I expected when we took him on. His goalscoring stats speak for themselves.

I suspect he won't be with us after the end of the season, mainly for financial reasons ; the squad needs to be pruned and he is out of contract. Its time for change and his job for us is done. 

But its a terrible shame the unrespectful  way some fans are referring to him. It doesn't reflect at all well on the club or its supporters.

Whats wrong with saying "thanks for what you have done on behalf of DCFC, Darren, and best of luck in the future" ?

You shouldn't be surprised at the comments some so-called 'fans' make about Derby players - you only have to read what's being said about Vydra, Keogh, Pearce, Mel Morris etc to see Derby has the same level of mindless keyboard idiots as most other clubs. Not everything is running as we want at Derby so constructive criticism is fine but some people are trying to make a reputation for themselves by lambasting certain players at every opportunity. Pathetic!

16 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

I said I'd sell if the money was right.  Obviously they're the type of players we should be building a team around but we can't keep giving so many average players top wages and it not have it come back and bite us on the arse at some point.  If we had to sell one of our only flogg-able assets, if an offer was too good to turn down, then so be it.

Moving on from the bolt gun analogy (I hope it was an analogy) how about the latest Moore farm coahing facilities invested in by Mel......

....a set of DCFC branded cattle prods for "installing the correct values for dcfc into the playing staff"

...followed by Sam Rush announcing DCFCs new agricultural equipment commercial partner

Then a new rams player interview that consists of Colin Gibson saying "smile....you were told to smile" repeatedly to selected rams stars....."what are the essential values of the Club" "did you show those values" "do you deserve this".....

mumblemumble
On 3/16/2017 at 20:53, feisty said:

OK; so by my reckoning this is our squad excluding de Sart who I think will return at the end of the year and including the U23s who have played in the first team. A number of players can play in more than one position (SP means Secondary Position).

GK: Carson, Mitchell, Roos (No new GK needed unless we get rid of Roos)

RB: Christie, Baird, Anya(SP), Hanson(SP)

LB: Olsson, Forsyth, Lowe, Baird(SP), Anya(SP)

CB: Keogh, Pearce, Shackell, Rawson, Baird(SP)

Midfield: Johnson, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Bryson, Elsnik, Hanson, Baird(SP), Vernam (SP)

AML: Russell, Anya, Camara, Weimann, Bennett, Vydra(SP)

AMR: Ince, Blackman, Bennett, Russell(SP), Anya (SP), Camara(SP)

Strikers: Martin, Nugent, Bent, Vydra, Blackman, Weimann, Russell, Vernam, Bennett

By my reckoning, we can cull an awful lot on that basis..

On the basis we want a smaller squad and to rely on youth for backup, I reckon Olsson, Weimann, Russell, Bent (shame for me), Vydra, Blackman, Butterfield (would say Bryson but his wages are so high I doubt we can sell him) and one of Pearce/Shackell could all go without being replaced. 

Baird, Olsson, Anya, Camara, Weimann, Blackman, and Bent will be shown the door.

The CM options are difficult to say, all of them (apart form the kids) have played a decent amount of games this season. It would be a risk to let one go considering Thornes injury record. Suppose formation will be a big factor too, are we going to keep the 3 in the middle. If one did go I would guess Butterfield.

I think Baird, Camara, Blackman and Weimann will go. I hope Bent , Hughes  Carson, Ince, Nugent, Martin and Keogh stay. Others not fussed either way if we get good money / buy better alternatives. think we need a new right back / left back if Forsyth doesn't come back and one more midfielder who is better than Butterfield. 

Archived