Squad Cull

Gritty

OK; so by my reckoning this is our squad excluding de Sart who I think will return at the end of the year and including the U23s who have played in the first team. A number of players can play in more than one position (SP means Secondary Position).

GK: Carson, Mitchell, Roos (No new GK needed unless we get rid of Roos)

RB: Christie, Baird, Anya(SP), Hanson(SP)

LB: Olsson, Forsyth, Lowe, Baird(SP), Anya(SP)

CB: Keogh, Pearce, Shackell, Rawson, Baird(SP)

Midfield: Johnson, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Bryson, Elsnik, Hanson, Baird(SP), Vernam (SP)

AML: Russell, Anya, Camara, Weimann, Bennett, Vydra(SP)

AMR: Ince, Blackman, Bennett, Russell(SP), Anya (SP), Camara(SP)

Strikers: Martin, Nugent, Bent, Vydra, Blackman, Weimann, Russell, Vernam, Bennett

By my reckoning, we can cull an awful lot on that basis..

On the basis we want a smaller squad and to rely on youth for backup, I reckon Olsson, Weimann, Russell, Bent (shame for me), Vydra, Blackman, Butterfield (would say Bryson but his wages are so high I doubt we can sell him) and one of Pearce/Shackell could all go without being replaced. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, feisty said:

OK; so by my reckoning this is our squad excluding de Sart who I think will return at the end of the year and including the U23s who have played in the first team. A number of players can play in more than one position (SP means Secondary Position).

Midfield: Johnson, Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Bryson, Elsnik, Hanson, Baird(SP), Vernam (SP)

Strikers: Martin, Nugent, Bent, Vydra, Blackman, Weimann, Russell, Vernam, Bennett

On the basis we want a smaller squad and to rely on youth for backup, I reckon Olsson, Weimann, Russell, Bent (shame for me), Vydra, Blackman, Butterfield (would say Bryson but his wages are so high I doubt we can sell him) and one of Pearce/Shackell could all go without being replaced. 

We could keep Butterfield but move the goals from the south and north side of Pride park to the east and west side. Then he'd be a superb player ... at least for one half of the game anyway.

Fantastic but depends on formation etc as to who he will want to keep and who he wants to go. Some won't make much of a difference though

olson, Blackman, Camara, bent, Hanson rawson, Butterfield and Bryson just aren't good enough imo and could be replaced easily by lower league lower wage players.

weve probably got better in the academy already for the above already but there opportunities are being hindered by the current bloated squad

It has been reported that the club wants to structure the playing staff  based on wage. I can only assume to improve the wage bill and get some of the players that are only here for the money out. 

There are a few out of contract like Bent and Baird whilst i think it's harsh on the latter i suspect they will  both be released. 

I see another 5 going ontop of this. A few low cost additions supplemented by loans and academy players could go along way to improving the teamwork culture and lack of consistency which we will need to get us out of the league. 

3 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Is it possible that we are about to enter a period of stabilization similar to the time under Nigel Clough where promotion is beyond us but high earners are moved on and replaced with better, younger, cheaper, hungrier players? 

Let's hope so. It'd be nice to be a bit sensible again and restore our reputation.

22 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

It may be easier to say who we would like to keep. Unless GR can get them all playing to their potential then we will be fine. 

Yes it really is time for change. If not major surgery then exploratory surgery at the very least. 

We need to do a Huddersfield Town. David Wagner apparently used a pot of chocolate raisins, put them out in a 4-2-3-1 formation, and went through every single player deciding how each raisin (player) should play and who should be eaten (off loaded). 

So if anyone sees Gary, chuck him some chocolate raisins  (yoghurt ones will do if he wants to be healthier) and hope he's hungry. 

14 hours ago, feisty said:

Why does everybody talk like Mark Zuckerberg now?

PistoldPete2
21 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

This thread is premature other than moving on the aging high earners as the players could do what Fester have done and turn around results immediately..,

here's hoping!

Maybe. I think it will be difficult to move players on... Shackell and Blackman have injuries and may have operations this spring. Hardly makes them sellable . In black and case he wasn't exactly likely to start a bidding war anyway was he? 

Bent and baird could go as their contracts expire but both have contributed this season. Bairds versatility makes him a good squad player. Let's see what Rowett can make of the squad in the next 9 games. 

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

Maybe. I think it will be difficult to move players on... Shackell and Blackman have injuries and may have operations this spring. Hardly makes them sellable . In black and case he wasn't exactly likely to start a bidding war anyway was he? 

Bent and baird could go as their contracts expire but both have contributed this season. Bairds versatility makes him a good squad player. Let's see what Rowett can make of the squad in the next 9 games. 

Baird might be handy as a wise head a la eustace if Rowett goes for youth.

I think Darren may be done with the rams. 

Bad news re blackman and shackell. What's up with them?

Archived