Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, David said:

So 5 seasons to get one play off chance, Mel 2 seasons, 1 play off chance.

How many summers under GSE did you genuinly think this is our year?

They did a clean job but that was complete a long time before using FFP as an excuse for their lack of ambition, part of it was their own mess with Jewell.

Don't get me wrong throwing millions at it isn't always the answer but people always ask what could have been with Clough had he been given money to spend, why wasn't he? Why was we wishing on a Shaun Barker type fee player. 

Attendances plummeted, they wanted out, McClaren came in to change that and away we went. Mel invested, deal agreed regardless of the Wembley outcome, struggled to get them to share his vision and kept their wallets securely locked then they went back to the US.

I won't look back on the GSE days as the good old days, as a football fan I want to see entertaining football and feel like this season could be ours, disagree with Mel's decisions that's fine but you can't argue the club has a new round ambition and this time next year.....

Yes i agree we have more ambition now, thats not the point.

It was claimed further back in this thread that under GSE we finished no higher than 10th, which was just untrue, we had our best finish for a long time under them, and yes it took 5 years.

I agree they had a throw of the dice with Jewell but that didnt work out and they changed tactics. Clearly at the time they took over the local ownership group wanted out, no one else was coming in and offering to sort the mess.

Maybe the did want out, but the fact is when people say every finish under Mels ownership has been better than those under GSE is just simply not true. Our best football was played under their ownership regardless of if they wanted out or not.

I think they did the job they needed to do and allowed Mel to take the club on in the condition it was. I wont look back on the first 3 or 4 seasons as great but certainly that season making the play offs was better than anything that has followed so far.

I dont want to go back, i want us to succeed under Mel and i am sure we will.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It was claimed further back in this thread that under GSE we finished no higher than 10th, which was just untrue, we had our best finish for a long time under them, and yes it took 5 years.

I agree they had a throw of the dice with Jewell but that didnt work out and they changed tactics. Clearly at the time they took over the local ownership group wanted out, no one else was coming in and offering to sort the mess.

Maybe the did want out, but the fact is when people say every finish under Mels ownership has been better than those under GSE is just simply not true. Our best football was played under their ownership regardless of if they wanted out or not.

I think they did the job they needed to do and allowed Mel to take the club on in the condition it was. I wont look back on the first 3 or 4 seasons as great but certainly that season making the play offs was better than anything that has followed so far.

Some of those seasons were far to close for comfort we were on the verge of falling through the trap door into ur abyss that is league 1. We might still be there now. 

GSE were the right people at the right time and we really owe a lot to them. But Mel is more ambitious and has the finances to back it up.

By the sounds of it the new tenure ous going to potentially be a combination of both eras which could be a potent mix.

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Whilst technically they were owners I would be more inclined to give credit to Sam Rush for that season than GSE, was his call to replace Clough and the work he did in the January strengthened us for that play off push.

Bringing in Sam Rush and handing over control was the best thing GSE did for this club as the events that followed is pushed this club on, whilst you can argue we're still in the same league and no better off on the pitch, the foundations are there and developement off the pitch has set us up for the future,

Sith Happens
34 minutes ago, David said:

Whilst technically they were owners I would be more inclined to give credit to Sam Rush for that season than GSE, was his call to replace Clough and the work he did in the January strengthened us for that play off push.

Bringing in Sam Rush and handing over control was the best thing GSE did for this club as the events that followed is pushed this club on, whilst you can argue we're still in the same league and no better off on the pitch, the foundations are there and developement off the pitch has set us up for the future,

Thats just part of management though. I am not going to argue that long term Mel will be better for our club he will, I am just defending the point that people slate the GSE ownership period and claim we have been more succesfull since is just simply incorrect.

The fact we may well be more successful long term under Mel I agree with.

On 3/16/2017 at 22:51, McLovin said:

Mel Morris is a businessman, don't try and suggest he is a knowledgeable football person because he isn't. He may be a good businessman but so are Vincent Tan and the Venkies, doesn't make them knowledgeable about football. You're saying that real life football is different which I agree, it's Morris who is treating it like a game expecting the team to gel by splashing our cash and demanding instant success like a school child for the sake of it to make himself look good. Please remind me how much the 13/14 team cost in total? Probably less than Vydra and Johnson. The reason they did well is because every player had clear defined roles and responsibilities, e.g Dawkins the link player, Bryson the midfield runner, Hughes the creative player, Thorne the dictator, Martin to drop deeper, Bamford the free spirit to focus purely on attacking. Burnley sold Shackell because they had Michael Keane and Ben Mee ahead of Shackell and simply tried to get as much as they could for him which they did. They didn't miss him as they went up straight away. As for Johnson, Alex Neil said that Johnson wasn't good enough for the prem which is why they sold him, if that isn't surplus to requirements I don't know what is. 

You are 100% WRONG about Shackell....before Derby came in, JS was pencilled in to start the season alongside Keane with Ben Mee at left-back and Michael Duff the back-up central defender.

Shackell was sold against Dyche's wishes and Burnley struggled to 5th in the first half of last season with the Keane/Duff pairing. 38 points from 23 games (W10 D8 L5).

After a 3-0 defeat at Hull on Boxing Day, 2015 (I think Derby were top and 9 points clear of us then) and considerable fan pressure,Duff was axed and Mee was moved to central defence to partner Keane with Stephen Ward coming in at left-back.

From this point, Burnley went unbeaten in 23 games (16 wins 7 draws) until the end of the season, winning the title with 93 points.

27 minutes ago, Grantona said:

You are 100% WRONG about Shackell....before Derby came in, JS was pencilled in to start the season alongside Keane with Ben Mee at left-back and Michael Duff the back-up central defender.

Shackell was sold against Dyche's wishes and Burnley struggled to 5th in the first half of last season with the Keane/Duff pairing. 38 points from 23 games (W10 D8 L5).

After a 3-0 defeat at Hull on Boxing Day, 2015 (I think Derby were top and 9 points clear of us then) and considerable fan pressure,Duff was axed and Mee was moved to central defence to partner Keane with Stephen Ward coming in at left-back.

From this point, Burnley went unbeaten in 23 games (16 wins 7 draws) until the end of the season, winning the title with 93 points.

yes good point if that was derby in the same situation do you think they would have sacked dyche ?

Archived