Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

First let me say I find it complete  garbage the way some fans seen to have it in for MM and here is why they shouldnt

Ok some of his decisions havent met with universal approval but  surely after the amount of money he has pumped in the club he deserves the right to know exactly whats going on even to the extent of looking at the stats that are available( lets face it a lot of supporters are well versed in them so why not him)

On another thread there are suggestions who has to go for next year I think we all agree it needs to be a major pruning which in financial terms i would imagine that means a big loss against what was paid for them And who will shoulder that loss of course who made the money available to the likes of PC-SM and NP i cant see any of them offering to give back some of their compensation to cover the losses on the mistakes they made Oh yes and after all that we fans will be clammering for new signingss and where will that momeny come from?????????? So please please get off Mels back we might not agree with some things but at the end of the day he is doing what he believes is the best for the club we all love

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure everyone can agree that he wants what's best for the club, but the way he has gone about it leaves him open to criticism. 

Yes, he has put in millions of pounds into the behind the scenes stuff, but what he will be judged by is what happens out on the pitch and since he has been in charge that side of things has gone backwards.

Whether that be due to bringing in players on a lot more money than they're worth, hiring and firing managers like there's no tomorrow or taking advice from people who have no right to give it, he cannot deny that things have gone backwards in that department.

So here we are, back to exactly where we were after the Jewell resigned. In need of a manager to rebuild, get rid of the driftwood and craft a team instead of a group of individuals. Most people would say we had achieved that before MM came in and bought the club.

No one can deny his passion for the club and the fact his heart is in the right place, but he deserves his fair share of the criticism that we are now onto our 5th manager in two years and looking at another player clear out.

£50 million spent and, on the pitch at least, we are no better off than when Clough was sacked.

Fans get arsey about such things when the team isnt doing so well, and the club are firing managers.

It was the same when we went close to the bottom 3 and Pearson was sacked.

Mel seemed to get the brunt of fans complaints about taking pearson on in the first place, then for interferring with pearson to suspend him. Funny how all those concerns went away as soon as we started winning.

Now we arent winning, and we have the form of 23rd place in a 24 team league, then Mel gets all the negativity his way again.

One of the main reasons he's had to invest so much financially and is going to lose so much when we eventually come around to selling is through his poor decisions. It was a mistake to hire Clement who would revamp our squad, then Pearson who was going to do the same, which in turn had to be fixed by Mac. If he had not been so poor in deciding who to hire and when to fire, he would have very little flak from fans and would have lost a lot less money.

People are upset with him because the way he's handling the club at the moment is like a impulsive fan's plaything, hiring and firing on a whim while not putting any logical thought into either decisions. He either needs to start thinking where he wants to take the club and in what manner he wants to do it before making decisions, or he needs to just act as a cheque book and hire someone to do it for him.

The club isn't his plaything because he has money invested.

It's worth remembering that Mel was not in charge when we parted company with Nigel clough and really that was the point things started to shift away from the recruitment policy that clough worked under and had a lot of merit , I blelieve there is a balance between how we were under clough and where we are at now but I don't think it's fair to put any and every ill on the head of Mel morris 

I'm not going to spare a thought for a multi millionaire who has taken our club backwards in the last three years. He has created instability and chaos and has made us look a laughing stock since he took over. I don't doubt that he loves the club but he has made a right pigs ear of showing it. Let's hope he changes the habit of a lifetime and actually allows the manager time and space to get on with the job this time.

39 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

One of the main reasons he's had to invest so much financially and is going to lose so much when we eventually come around to selling is through his poor decisions. It was a mistake to hire Clement who would revamp our squad, then Pearson who was going to do the same, which in turn had to be fixed by Mac. If he had not been so poor in deciding who to hire and when to fire, he would have very little flak from fans and would have lost a lot less money.

People are upset with him because the way he's handling the club at the moment is like a impulsive fan's plaything, hiring and firing on a whim while not putting any logical thought into either decisions. He either needs to start thinking where he wants to take the club and in what manner he wants to do it before making decisions, or he needs to just act as a cheque book and hire someone to do it for him.

The club isn't his plaything because he has money invested.

In hindsight it was a mistake to hire Clement, but his remit was to take the squad that he inherited and improve it. He went about adding players that clearly didn't fit the rest of the squad and whom many would argue aren't even as good as the players that were already here. According to the club the main reason for sacking him was his deviating from this remit. Even though Pearson wasn't everyone's first choice many felt that the players needed a strong hand. Imagine if he had kept Wassal instead what the reaction would have been! Mac seemed to be an excellent choice after 10 games. Petty that one had to go t*ts up so quickly. Let's hope that Rowett is at long last the manager that this club, and this group of players, really need.

39 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

First let me say I find it complete  garbage the way some fans seen to have it in for MM and here is why they shouldnt

Ok some of his decisions havent met with universal approval but  surely after the amount of money he has pumped in the club he deserves the right to know exactly whats going on even to the extent of looking at the stats that are available( lets face it a lot of supporters are well versed in them so why not him)

On another thread there are suggestions who has to go for next year I think we all agree it needs to be a major pruning which in financial terms i would imagine that means a big loss against what was paid for them And who will shoulder that loss of course who made the money available to the likes of PC-SM and NP i cant see any of them offering to give back some of their compensation to cover the losses on the mistakes they made Oh yes and after all that we fans will be clammering for new signingss and where will that momeny come from?????????? So please please get off Mels back we might not agree with some things but at the end of the day he is doing what he believes is the best for the club we all love

I gave you a like before even reading your narrative

Its astonishing the criticism that has been levelled at Mel

Would fans really prefer a wealthy  owner who didn't want to invest in the future of the club ? Who wasn't a local bloke with his hometown club at heart ? 

What is he supposed to do ? He backs the manager, they spend the money and blow it. Its not his fault. 

How would they feel if he was currently thinking of chucking the towel in and just selling out to the nearest taker ?

31 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Spare a thought for Mel? Why?

Nothing against the bloke but I won't be feeling sympathy for him either. He's his own man and has made his own decisions. 

It's HIS money. It's his money he's pumping into DCFC ... 

What are you doing ?

37 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Spare a thought for Mel? Why?

Nothing against the bloke but I won't be feeling sympathy for him either. He's his own man and has made his own decisions. 

I'm happy to spare a thought for him regards the level of some of the vitriol that taking on the role of owner chairman opens you up to , criticism is one thing but let's be honest there are people that go way too far ( look at the crap dished out to keough and family ) and let's be honest there are those that will despise him simply because he has the kind of money he does and will be onhim for anything they can rather than give a balanced view ,, he's in a position that opens you up to the unbalanced ,, for me he's a bloke who has done very well financially and is in a position to invest in and be involved in his passion ,Derby county ,  he will get thing right and he will get things wrong along the way ,, bloody hell don't we all???

I'm sorry - I don't harbour any feeling of pity towards Mel's running of this club. Name me one fan who would agree that having six managers in two years is conducive to success. Not even Watford in the one year they went up had this many managers!

He's a victim of his own business success, doesn't like failure and struggles with the long term concept. He has an extremely short fuse and that backfires for stability of the club.

He's not had a single strategy work so far - mainly because he doesn't give time for strategies to be implemented.

I've not disagreed with any of the managers who have been appointed (Rowett convinces me the least from them all) but none of them have genuinely had sufficient time to embed a philosophy or a culture. Clement still had us top six (despite his apparent falling out with everyone around the training ground), Mac over time had us doing OK with a couple of poor runs, the second on players I'm sure he would never want to have at the club, Wassall did OK and Pearson probably was a failure. Was he given time no - no he wasn't.

So do I feel sorry for an individual with a Billion plus to his name (Cash and paper assets), who has thrown £50 Million into the club and taken us no further in playing terms than the day he took over ownership - No I don't.

Has he learnt a few things - well for me one thing, He is less in the public eye now. That was my failure harsh feedback when the 'Breakfast Club Clique' had their session (Sorry poor attempt at humour) to him and I've personally noticed from that he is further away now from the 'It's all about me' approach.

Mel's alright. Not made a decision I can argue with in isolation. Taken as a whole, his reign hasn't been stable enough, but he'd agree with that himself I'm sure. It's dead simple; once we start winning football matches, he'll be the hero again.

Initially I was OMG jeez louise, off the rollercoaster goes again...]

A few days to reflect has left me feeling pretty OK where we are and the realisation by the whole of DCFC, that the settling in period is over and now the real work has to start.  We had a few seasons of spending big and we got excited as we had years of austerity under NC, and rightly so.  Now we have lunged to the opposite, and now we need to get back to somewhere in the middle.

We have our own ground.
Top class Academy
We pay our bills
We have a lot of good revenue streams
We have loyal supporters
We are pretty much rock solid off the pitch

Finally, we have had it a lot worse, a lot of clubs our size and bigger would sell their first born to have what we have.

We've had a wobble and the wheels didn't come off, we will be fine.  In Derby County we trust.

Whilst MM has imo made mistakes, I would much rather a committed Derby fan owned the club than say some charlatan looking to turn a profit at our expense, selling us on to anyone with pockets deep enough to buy the club after we get promoted or asset stripping us and never paying bills on time if we don't.

We own our own ground and training facilities, have a squad thats worth a fair bit and little debt, almost everything MM has done as benefited us immensely. Now, if he could just hold off from firing GR before I've finished typing this everything would be great!

Archived