Defoe

DEL

6 hours ago, David said:

If the World Cup was this summer I would take him, another season away though, older legs, more prone to injuries. Use the qualifiers to try younger players, give them experience. 

If Defoe is still fine and in form next season take him, we're not learning anything new from him, we know what he offers

I don't agree with this. It is not the job of the national team to give young players experience. That is what the U21s and their respective club sides are for. The national team should always select the best players available. I'm not saying that they all have to be playing in the Premiership for the best sides, but don't play potential over quality.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, David said:

If the World Cup was this summer I would take him, another season away though, older legs, more prone to injuries. Use the qualifiers to try younger players, give them experience. 

If Defoe is still fine and in form next season take him, we're not learning anything new from him, we know what he offers

If he's still in form next season, he should go.  He's always been a quality finisher.  As a lot of people have pointed out on here, numerous times, 30's isn't that old for a footballer anymore.  Providing they look after themselves, they can still be very useful at international level.  Pirlo & Klose being prime examples.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/27/jermain-defoe-england-striker-lithuania

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't agree with this. It is not the job of the national team to give young players experience. That is what the U21s and their respective club sides are for. The national team should always select the best players available. I'm not saying that they all have to be playing in the Premiership for the best sides, but don't play potential over quality.

That's ok, I don't agree with your player of the season vote either :p 

11 hours ago, cannable said:

Thought for a while now that, with how few Englishmen are in the Premier League, that there are better options in The Championship in some cases. 

Injuries aside, I rate Thorne higher than Dier, for example. 

you seriously think that George Thorne is better than Dier...? Just think about it for 2 seconds....not one person outside of Derby County fan base would agree with you...not one....and most inside the fan base would think you are on mid altering drugs.

Back to Defoe....it wasn't that long ago that we had Robbie Fowler, Andy Cole, Le Tissier and Ian Wright all scoring 30+ goals every season and getting nowhere near the England team....

17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

you seriously think that George Thorne is better than Dier...? Just think about it for 2 seconds....not one person outside of Derby County fan base would agree with you...not one....and most inside the fan base would think you are on mid altering drugs.

Not one person outside of Derby would agree with me, no. Nor would I expect them to. 

I'm a firm believer that players benefit as much from circumstance as they do talent. 

One does wonder where George would be without two ACL injuries and a broken leg.  

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, David said:

Surprised that has been done so quickly and no other clubs have made a battle of it for his signature. Free transfer as well. 

West Ham wanted him but too late now. Fair play to Bournemouth for getting this done quick. 

The family of football mascot Bradley Lowery have said his cancer has spread and he does not have long to live.

The terminally ill Sunderland fan, who has neuroblastoma, is receiving end-of-life care at home. His family said they were "heartbroken".

The six-year-old has received thousands of messages of support from around the world and become friends with Black Cats striker Jermain Defoe.

p.s sorry for posting it in the Defoe thread :angry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-40039021

• 2 weeks later...

Top man in my opinion, the below paragraph speaks volumes - 

Bradley led out the England team at Wembley with his "best mate" Defoe for the World Cup qualifier against Lithuania in March.

Defoe said he "didn't really know what to say" when he heard Bradley only had weeks left to live.

"Every day I wake up and I will text his mum and ask how he is getting on and she will say he's OK. But the reality is that he's really struggling," he added.

"All I can do is try and be there for him and the family. When I finish with England I'll try and get up there again before I go away.

"I want to try and spend as much time with him as possible."

• 1 month later...

Bradley Lowery: Sunderland fan dies after long illness

Six-year-old Bradley Lowery, who touched tens of thousands of people, has died following a long illness.

The Sunderland fan was diagnosed with neuroblastoma - a rare type of cancer - when he was 18 months old.

Bradley went on to be the club's mascot and became "best mates" with his hero, striker Jermain Defoe. He also led England out at Wembley for a World Cup qualifier against Lithuania.

His death was confirmed on social media by his parents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39883344

very sad news :(

Archived