New manager. New captain?

Jon_Grooves

Now then before i start this IS NOT an anti Keogh thread and he has been good for us this season... although after this flop AGAIN and most of us are saying we need a player clear out etc, surely the man captaining and leading us through all of these flops, apparent moans to mel, regular lack of form etc etc has to go to make way for a new captain who is eager, fresh and has new motivation to lead us again?

If the players are at fault for these consistant and sudden declines in form over the years, then what has the captain, the main man, the leader been doing to sort it out?

Weve got a new manager with Rowett and all we need now is a new Captain to work close with the manager and the players to motivate and make sure these player revolts dont happen. Surely Keoghs had his chance and whatever hes doing isnt working.

New manager, new captain, clear our the other 'bad eggs' and we have a good foundation of starting again. surely?

I cant see any positives in letting Keogh stay and captain yet again.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see few alternatives to Keogh unless you go down the (silly to my mind) route of having a likely non-playing captain such as Baird. Only other real option is to turn to Will, say it's up to him to drag the rest of them into the Prem with him, even if it's kicking and screaming, and hope he rises to the challenge of the extra responsibility.

I don't think keepers name good captains because of yheir positional limitations. Who else is a viable candidate?

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Keogh leave this summer, followed by us bringing in a new captain/centre-half. Good way to start a 'new chapter' for the club. 

I suppose if having your player of the year for a number of seasons leave is good then yes. I dont think it would be a good thing unless we clearly replace with better. He is the best centre half at our club right now so would rather a few others leave before him.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Don't think we have a leader on the books... 

The player who is closest to what I would see as a real captain/main man, is Bradley. His performances haven't always been that great, but he has been on the up for most of the season.

I want someone who will drag us by the throat into the Premier League. I'm old school in that I like a Roy Keane, Bryan Robson, John Terry even..a put it all on the line, get in everyone's faces and demand high expectations whilst delivering it yourself character.

If Brad ain't that man, then that would be my main focus for signing asap!

20 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I suppose if having your player of the year for a number of seasons leave is good then yes. I dont think it would be a good thing unless we clearly replace with better. He is the best centre half at our club right now so would rather a few others leave before him.

I don't disagree with anything you say here, Paul. He is our best defender. Has been a great player over the last year or two. And I've regularly defended him on here. But if the club is looking to start a "new chapter" with Rowett (their words, not mine), they might want a fresh start on every level. That would, in turn, mean a new Captain. New heart in the middle of the defence.

42 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Now then before i start this IS NOT an anti Keogh thread and he has been good for us this season... although after this flop AGAIN and most of us are saying we need a player clear out etc, surely the man captaining and leading us through all of these flops, apparent moans to mel, regular lack of form etc etc has to go to make way for a new captain who is eager, fresh and has new motivation to lead us again?

If the players are at fault for these consistant and sudden declines in form over the years, then what has the captain, the main man, the leader been doing to sort it out?

Weve got a new manager with Rowett and all we need now is a new Captain to work close with the manager and the players to motivate and make sure these player revolts dont happen. Surely Keoghs had his chance and whatever hes doing isnt working.

New manager, new captain, clear our the other 'bad eggs' and we have a good foundation of starting again. surely?

I cant see any positives in letting Keogh stay and captain yet again.

The bit in bold. Made up!

Keogh is a good player on the pitch but I will be very disappointed if he doesn't leave this summer. 

Throughout the numerous managers in recent years, he has been one of the few constants. After all, we keep changing everything else but Keogh stays. As captain, I think he has failed in his role on numerous occasions to get the players motivated and consistently playing good football. No doubt he is one of the key reasons why managers keep 'losing the dressing room'. He doesn't deserve to be at the club anymore.

9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The player who is closest to what I would see as a real captain/main man, is Bradley. His performances haven't always been that great, but he has been on the up for most of the season.

I want someone who will drag us by the throat into the Premier League. I'm old school in that I like a Roy Keane, Bryan Robson, John Terry even..a put it all on the line, get in everyone's faces and demand high expectations whilst delivering it yourself character.

If Brad ain't that man, then that would be my main focus for signing asap!

Bradley Johnson is the closest think to a leader that we have on our books whom is more often than not available for selection. 

But........

If he could stay fit long enough I'd make George Thorne skipper because when he plays he is constantly talking and encouraging his team mates and us extremely influential.

I did notice before his injury that when Keogh was trying to get things going it appeared to me that not one of his teammates were paying a blind bit of notice to him. 

26 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Bradley Johnson is the closest think to a leader that we have on our books whom is more often than not available for selection. 

But........

If he could stay fit long enough I'd make George Thorne skipper because when he plays he is constantly talking and encouraging his team mates and us extremely influential.

I did notice before his injury that when Keogh was trying to get things going it appeared to me that not one of his teammates were paying a blind bit of notice to him. 

It's not surprising. All he does is repeat what people have already said.

Remaining games and with current squad Rowett is limited to what he can do. He'll tweak a few things for sure but don't think anyone can second guess who he'll have as captain till we see who he brings in and who to whom he bids a fond farewell 

40 minutes ago, Jordy said:

Keogh is a good player on the pitch but I will be very disappointed if he doesn't leave this summer. 

Throughout the numerous managers in recent years, he has been one of the few constants. After all, we keep changing everything else but Keogh stays. As captain, I think he has failed in his role on numerous occasions to get the players motivated and consistently playing good football. No doubt he is one of the key reasons why managers keep 'losing the dressing room'. He doesn't deserve to be at the club anymore.

Jesus

Archived