Toyota Investment in Burnaston

LesterRam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39289269

Toyota is to invest £240m in upgrading its UK factory that makes the Auris and Avensis models.

The Japanese carmaker's investment in the Burnaston plant near Derby will allow production of vehicles using its new global manufacturing system.

The factory employs about 2,500 people, while another 590 work at Toyota's engine plant at Deeside, North Wales.

Burnaston made about 180,000 vehicles last year, most of which are exported to Europe and other markets.

Johan van Zyl, chief executive of Toyota Motor Europe, said the investment showed that the company was doing all it could to make Burnaston more competitive.

However, he warned: "Continued tariff-and-barrier free market access between the UK and Europe that is predictable and uncomplicated will be vital for future success."

Fantastic news :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny that this is announced after all the pay rise negotiations have been concluded......

Wonder if they still declare a "loss" or a small profit each year still?

Wonder when the pay negotiations are going on they still think they can compare pay rises to the public sector..... which they did.

Wonder if they are still asking for "voluntary" early retirement 

Wonder how much of a sweetener the government have given them.....

Its the Toyota Way. 

2 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

However, he warned: "Continued tariff-and-barrier free market access between the UK and Europe that is predictable and uncomplicated will be vital for future success."

Bit of a weird final statement  though - kind of saying that we will invest as long as you guys don't screw up Brexit

So what happens if we go down the "no deal is better than a bad deal" route?

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Bit of a weird final statement  though - kind of saying that we will invest as long as you guys don't screw up Brexit

Regardless, its a positive. I'm still sceptical over the big picture but surely this should be welcomed by remain voters like myself.

4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Good old Stive got to find a negative.

20 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Not really a negative - just an observation. I said it was weird - rather than saying it was terrible

Just stimulating some debate Kev :)

I know no worries , there is a line in the article which says EU and other markets ,you never know Toyota might think the other markets might be a winner post Brexit 

5 hours ago, ketteringram said:

There must be a reason. Have you already worked there in the past.? 

was a manager of a tier 1 supplier (or Category A, cannot remember which firm calls their main suppliers which), had to spend a lot of time over 6 years involved. It, in my opinion, is no place for a person of initiative, ambition, creativity, or even intelligence! They want robots, people who nod along. People like me, ideas people, continuous improvement experts, streamliners etc, have no place there. I saw many people have nervous/mental breakdown, and someone with my brain would probably end up in a bad way mentally, very quickly working under that regime.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

was a manager of a tier 1 supplier (or Category A, cannot remember which firm calls their main suppliers which), had to spend a lot of time over 6 years involved. It, in my opinion, is no place for a person of initiative, ambition, creativity, or even intelligence! They want robots, people who nod along. People like me, ideas people, continuous improvement experts, streamliners etc, have no place there. I saw many people have nervous/mental breakdown, and someone with my brain would probably end up in a bad way mentally, very quickly working under that regime.

Bit like most companies then.. Worked for the Japs for 10 years, they take a bit of getting used to and are generally really frustrating people.... But when you are excepted and not just a round eyed barbarian, they are very loyal and honerable..

I haven't heard great things from people I know that have worked at Burnaston, only know of 1 still working there.

I was once offered a job by Toyota as a paint chemist, not long after I graduated and was still local. I very nearly took it but I am glad I didn't with hindsight.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Completely agree. They will bully you out if you don't fit in, put pressure on you to do the impossible and create an environment where everyone begins to watch you closely. Even those who are already struggling themselves will join in, it's a ******* sad state of affairs when that happens.

I used to work in the paint sprayer section. Horrible working environment in there, absolutely detestable. 

There was a guy who had repetitive strain injury in one of his arms. They just shoved him in the inspection area and left him to rot.

10 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Sounds like a shot across. Ms May's bows to get a similar deal to the one she did with Nissan. ...

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

There's a reason why Toyota have had to recall over 30 million vehicles over the last 10 years.....poka yoke my arse!

I gave them 11 and a half years. Everyone knows my addled brain..... they did too, I got sacked for aggressively confronting someone who decided to take the mickey about my mental state. No violence occurred, and still got chopped. 

The 11 and a half years there though have left me in good stead since. If you can work there, you can handle most other things.

Physically and mentally exhausting...... divorce rate is high there.

As @Mostyn6 says.... just a number. 

I've done a bit of studying of how to manage in different cultures. 

East Asian cultures particularly stress the collective over the individual. Behaviour is targeted towards the good of the group. One faintly amusing manifestation were those clips of Japanese workers starting the day with the company song.

Less amusing is the compulsion to conform. In unenlightened organisations this could manifest itself in a number of ways that we,  as a western European nation that is individualistic in nature would find alien and unsettling. 

Genuine question to those fellow posters who worked there. ....does the above analysis resonate with your experience?  Ie any notion of self as an individual was suppressed either overtly or indirectly  (through eg poorer performance reviews)?

Archived