Past the best before or use by date?

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure my mother in law will have something way older than that - though her kitchen was last updated in the 1960s so not a surprise really....

Saw a report that someone was suggesting they do away with the dates on items to reduce waste - not sure how some folk will avoid poisoning themselves if that's followed through....

32 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I'm sure my mother in law will have something way older than that - though her kitchen was last updated in the 1960s so not a surprise really....

Saw a report that someone was suggesting they do away with the dates on items to reduce waste - not sure how some folk will avoid poisoning themselves if that's followed through....

Following through is what alot of people will be doing.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

What's the worst you've ever found in your house?

I've just found some chilli powder with a best before of 02/2006

I'm sure someone can beat that?

I bet its still ok.

Sith Happens
59 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

Best before dates on potatoes ffs. If they look ok, they are ok; that's all you need to know.

Use by dates are a different matter, they prevent food poisoning.

Dont always agree with use by dates.......most fresh products you can tell if they are still ok, the sniff test, or the float an egg test...

Same with veg including potatoes.

Love stuff like this (I a really weird at times )

if it looks and smells ok then it probably is ok if in doubt lick it ....we were given a nose and a tongue .. Use them ! Following exclusions apply

shellfish. 

Minced meat 

Tin cans that go pop when you open them ... Don't even think about it ! 

I remember reading a letter to the Telegraph, when there was a lot of correspondence on the subject. This chap had a bottle of spring water, which decribed itself as 'having seeped its way through the earth's crust for 3 million years etc. etc. Use by Sept 20th, 2000 and summat.'

As he remarked, "Wow, just in time."

31 minutes ago, jono said:

if it looks and smells ok then it probably is ok if in doubt lick it ....we were given a nose and a tongue .. Use them ! Following exclusions apply

shellfish. 

Minced meat 

I can never work out if shellfish is off or not so I avoid it.

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I can never work out if shellfish is off or not so I avoid it.

I love shellfish .. Muscles and clams though you never eat an unopened one, that's courting disaster ! 

Its those prawn sandwiches you have to watch  :whistle:

4 hours ago, jono said:

shellfish. 

Minced meat 

Finally, a subject i'm qualified to talk about!

Manufacturers must have Managers and Operators trained to Food Safety Level 4  and HACCP Level 3. We can leave HACCP to one side for this particular thread as this is only concerned with stopping foreign bodies from entering the food chain. (no remarks about turkish immigrants working in kebab shops will be tolerated).

I have undergone intensive training in Food Safety over a long period including regular updates due to new legislation.

The most recent course i attended went into great detail about bacterial growth rates, ideal fungal conditions and storage temperature differentials to ratios of food deterioration.

The conclusion was, as jono says most eloquently above, if it looks and smells ok, it probably is. :D

Items past their best before date won't kill you.

Anything past its use by date might!

One exception would be Darren Bent. He's past his best before date and if we keep pumping long balls up to him it'll be the death of me.:blink:

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Finally, a subject i'm qualified to talk about!

Manufacturers must have Managers and Operators trained to Food Safety Level 4  and HACCP Level 3. We can leave HACCP to one side for this particular thread as this is only concerned with stopping foreign bodies from entering the food chain. (no remarks about turkish immigrants working in kebab shops will be tolerated).

I have undergone intensive training in Food Safety over a long period including regular updates due to new legislation.

The most recent course i attended went into great detail about bacterial growth rates, ideal fungal conditions and storage temperature differentials to ratios of food deterioration.

The conclusion was, as jono says most eloquently above, if it looks and smells ok, it probably is. :D

Items past their best before date won't kill you.

Anything past its use by date might!

One exception would be Darren Bent. He's past his best before date and if we keep pumping long balls up to him it'll be the death of me.:blink:

Avoid hard Jaffa cakes and other biscuits.

4 hours ago, Phoenix said:

I remember reading a letter to the Telegraph, when there was a lot of correspondence on the subject. This chap had a bottle of spring water, which decribed itself as 'having seeped its way through the earth's crust for 3 million years etc. etc. Use by Sept 20th, 2000 and summat.'

As he remarked, "Wow, just in time."

It int that the water goes off, but after a while the chemicals from the plastic bottles leech into the water. Get it in glass.

8 hours ago, jono said:

I love shellfish .. Muscles and clams though you never eat an unopened one, that's courting disaster ! 

Its those prawn sandwiches you have to watch  :whistle:

We sell wierd stuff once a month at work.

I don't understand it so avoid it,I will seek some guidance when it comes in and maybe try some.

Archived