Too Much Too Young

sage

Do many British footballers play too much competitive football in their teens and end up having a disappointing second half of their careers due to injury.

Obvious examples are Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and to some extemt Wayne Rooney. All peaked in their teens and early twenties, not 25 to 30 as you would expect.

Are Giles Barnes and Will Hughes Derby examples who played too many games whilst injured and will never meet the potential they showed at 18/19?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Owen was ruined by Houillier forcing him into the gym to work on his upper-body. Ruined his balance and his ligaments bore the brunt.

Fowler had knee injuries but still had a great career. Rooney I think still has had a good career. If he was another nationality, say Italian, he would easily be held in the same high-regard as someone like Zola.

Barnes and Addison were ruined by injury for me, whereas Huddlestone had a good career, as has someone like Gareth Barry, and Scott Parker, both players I admire. Carrick started young, as did Rio and Lampard. I'd say Joe Cole fizzled out.

There is a pattern with injuries though. I think the career changers are generally big-money moves at a young age, more so than exposure to competitive football. I'd like to think younger players are no more liable than others to injuries. 

Sith Happens

Northern Rock bank were responisible for Michael Owens career taking a nose dive by being stupid enough to have this advert in circulation prior to the 2006 world cup....

owen.jpg

Rooney I would argue is more conditioning and lifestyle than injury. Similar with wilshere. 

I remember rooney appearing in the 2012 euro finals after suspension and having taken a holiday rather than join the squad. Surprise surprise after 20 mins he was bright pink and blowing. 

Lampard always struck me as an intelligent player and person who fully understood the benefits of conditoning. 

Young people need guidance and positive role models. All they get from clubs is quite unnecessary pampering. 

On 3/14/2017 at 18:32, Paul71 said:

Northern Rock bank were responisible for Michael Owens career taking a nose dive by being stupid enough to have this advert in circulation prior to the 2006 world cup....

owen.jpg

Ironically enough, Northern Rock a year after this were bankrupt.

On 14/03/2017 at 19:32, Paul71 said:

owen.jpg

Although tbf Paul, they couldn't have guessed he was going to pop a cruciate 2 mins into the Sweden game. ....

On 3/14/2017 at 17:11, sage said:

Do many British footballers play too much competitive football in their teens and end up having a disappointing second half of their careers due to injury.

Obvious examples are Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and to some extemt Wayne Rooney. All peaked in their teens and early twenties, not 25 to 30 as you would expect.

Are Giles Barnes and Will Hughes Derby examples who played too many games whilst injured and will never meet the potential they showed at 18/19?

Owen & Fowler were victims of everyone switching to loan strikers when Mouriniho won titles with Drogba up front.  Pacey poachers were suddenly out of fashion.  

Barnes was ruined by being an arrogant little s*** who believed his own hype.  If he had the attitude of a Lampard or a Gerrard he could've played for England.  Unfortunately you hear of far too many English players getting too much money, too young and wasting their talents due to a lack of application.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Barnes was ruined by being an arrogant little s*** who believed his own hype.  If he had the attitude of a Lampard or a Gerrard he could've played for England.

Nothing to do with the crippling injuries that caused him to miss two out of three pre-seasons and play just 31* games (17 stars) out of 149 between the ages of 18 and 21? 

Lets not forget we released him whilst he was STILL INURED as well. 

*two of which were him playing with a broken foot having come back early to feature in the play-offs for us.

Sith Happens
17 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Although tbf Paul, they couldn't have guessed he was going to pop a cruciate 2 mins into the Sweden game. ....

I know but its a curse...its just like when ramage says we have this game won...then damn it.

4 hours ago, cannable said:

Nothing to do with the crippling injuries that caused him to miss two out of three pre-seasons and play just 31* games (17 stars) out of 149 between the ages of 18 and 21? 

Lets not forget we released him whilst he was STILL INURED as well. 

*two of which were him playing with a broken foot having come back early to feature in the play-offs for us.

I may be completely wrong but I didn't think he was released while injured.

I thought it was either his contract ran out making him a free agent, or the remainder of his contract was paid up to let him find another club? I thought Derby also paid for his rehab in the states or is that just something I've got in my mind as well?

5 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I may be completely wrong but I didn't think he was released while injured.

I thought it was either his contract ran out making him a free agent, or the remainder of his contract was paid up to let him find another club? I thought Derby also paid for his rehab in the states or is that just something I've got in my mind as well?

We did pay his contract up but if memory serves me right he was released before he fully recovered. I've taken this as gospel as I noticed that he missed his first fourteen games for West Brom. 

As for us paying for his rehab in the states this does ring a bell but I thought this was for his 07/08 injury. You may well be right.

But still, it was injuries that ruined Barnes, not his attitude. 

It's all the more frustrating as a Derby fan when you look at how Barnes and Bale's careers have transpired - considering they both broke through in the same season and were of similar age.

PistoldPete2
On 14 March 2017 at 17:11, sage said:

Will hughes is a bit young to write off yet isn't he? 

On 14 March 2017 at 17:11, sage said:

Yes

steve powell.

I think legs have only got so many miles in them. Bryson will suffer when he's older for his hard work. 

Archived