Non League Football

Poynton ram

With no game today took my son to Macclesfield Town v Tranmere, FA Trophy semi final first leg. 

£12 for me and £2 for him, seated so pretty good value

2200 there including 900 from Tranmere. Macc typically average 1300 and are a top 10 conference side.

Great atmosphere, real end to end game, plenty of abuse for the linesmen and ref. As expected at this level some real journeymen playing for both sides including McNulty for Tranmere who I swear looks about 40 and 16 stone.

One thing I did find annoying was the number of people leaving their seats during the game to apparently either get a drink/pie, visit the loos, go and talk to a mate in another seat or simply stretch their legs. There was one lad near me who I swear was up and down a dozen times during the game.

In the concourse there was a table selling old programmes including a number of issues of The Ram from this season.

20 mins from leaving the ground to getting home.

The game ended 1-1 and we both enjoyed the game.

Any other rams fans experienced non league football?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

With no game today took my son to Macclesfield Town v Tranmere, FA Trophy semi final first leg. 

2200 there including 900 from Tranmere. Macc typically average 1300 and are a top 10 conference side.

Great atmosphere, real end to end game, plenty of abuse for the linesmen and ref. As expected at this level some real journeymen playing for both sides including McNulty for Tranmere who I swear looks about 40 and 16 stone.

One thing I did find annoying was the number of people leaving their seats during the game to apparently either get a drink/pie, visit the loos, go and talk to a mate in another seat or simply stretch their legs. There was one lad near me who I swear was up and down a dozen times during the game.

In the concourse there was a table selling old programmes including a number of issues of The Ram from this season.

I went to watch Chesterfield v Walsall once does that count?

It was **** by the way.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Went to an FA Trophy match once between Stafford Rangers and Wigan Athletic at Port Vale's ground.

I was only 11 but the violence i witnessed that day stood me in good stead for home games at the Baseball Ground.:o

Who won? The man or the dog?

Sith Happens

I already have my eyes on going to see the newly merged Nottingham County vs FC United in a couple of years time.

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Who won? The man or the dog?

It was incredible mate. We was stood on a big terrace behind a goal when fighting broke out up and behind us. There was no segregation and Wigan fans started attacking Stafford. There was loads of Stoke and Vale fans in the crowd as well as groups of Wolves fans with the Stafford fans. 

The talk round Stafford afterwards was that the Stoke, Vale and Wolves fans battered Wigan then started on each other. There was barely a copper in the ground and the fighting went on all through the match.

Vale Park was massive back then, i can't remember the attendance but there would have been around 12,000 there.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

It was incredible mate. We was stood on a big terrace behind a goal when fighting broke out up and behind us. There was no segregation and Wigan fans started attacking Stafford. There was loads of Stoke and Vale fans in the crowd as well as groups of Wolves fans with the Stafford fans. 

The talk round Stafford afterwards was that the Stoke, Vale and Wolves fans battered Wigan then started on each other. There was barely a copper in the ground and the fighting went on all through the match.

Vale Park was massive back then, i can't remember the attendance but there would have been around 12,000 there.

I guess after witnessing stuff like that when you get people complaining about chants being disgusting that you end up scratching your head?

"It was incredible" :lol::lol:

I'm moving to the Black Country this summer, while I'm sad I won't be attending as many Rams games anymore, I am quite pleased that there is a non-league outfit (Stourbridge - did well in the FA cup this year & currently chasing promotion) just a 5 minute walk from the house. 

On 11/03/2017 at 17:55, Poynton ram said:

I keep hoping I'll get to Stockport County again ..... one day. But having discovered price of their programmes I'm tempted to not bother..... even though I wouldn't buy one anyway :lol:. A mini boycott 

I went to a fair few AFC Telford United games between 2005-07. I take it playing in the 13th tier of football doesn't count as watching. I saw Team Solent play a game in the 10th tier. Strangest one is the fact I was born and raised in Buxton and never went to one game, which I regret. 

On 11 March 2017 at 17:55, Poynton ram said:

Went to Alfreton v Hednesford at Impact Arena as I knew someone playing for Hednesford.....Marvin Robinson was also playing in that match.

At half time, the supporters swapped ends! The 50 or so Hednesford fans went to the other goal and the Alfreton fans packed the other end. Alfreton won 4-0. Enjoyable match, everyone seemed relaxed. Stood on the terrace in a nice little stadium. Made a change from being at Pride Park listening to the moaners "bloody Dawkins, bloody Keogh, De Sart back to Boro, Bent useless etc"

Archived