Will McClaren be here next season?

Kernow

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Gritters said:

He's crap. He hit it lucky on an underperforming Clough team but a bit of money has undone that team and bought in some right champagne Charlies. We'll done.

But McClaren didn't bring in the Champagne Charlies.

4 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Bent

Lol. One player, who has scored quite a few goals, is the cause of the so-called decline since Nigel left (a decline that has seen us finish higher in the league than at any point under Nigel and we'll probably finish higher again this year even though we've been pretty crap for most of it). 

FWIW I was a huge fan of Nigel and thought it was wrong to sack him. I even agree that if he'd stayed and got the backing others have since he left, then I think we would've gone up. But we can't keep repainting history. We are in a much better state than we were under him, even if that isn't saying much at the minute.

17 hours ago, Papahet said:

Besides, why was he laughing and joking on the touch line when his side was playing dogshit and 3-0 down?

Because I think a decision had been made, could also explain the players body language. That's just my opinion though!

He'll be here; no doubt in my mind. I'm not happy with the football this year but the alternative is 'gambling' with another manager of dubious quality. There's good managers out there but are they available? do they want to come here? and surely Mac is due a season or 2 to see what he can do with these players and any new players he signs.

Realistically, it's not until this time next year that a sound judgement can be made. Even then, he could still be worthy of more time if things have turned around. And even then, is that enough time to fully give someone? Don't get me wrong, that's sounds painful but unless Eddie Howe or similar is taking over then I see him here until at least next summer.

(unless we're fighting relegation after Xmas - in that case he has to go).

A defeat next week will test us all but I'd like to think that doesn't define us or Mac, and that he doesn't get the sack. For me, that gives Notts more kudos than they're worth.

We've got an horrific fan base that likes calling for people's heads at the first sign of any trouble. I've said it before, I can't think of any manager we've ever had that hasn't had the crowd calling for his head after a bad spell. It's the nature of Derby fans. 

I saw some ill-thought comment slating Mel Morris for not giving managers enough time and wasting money. Well, perhaps one of the reasons he didn't give managers much time was because he was wasting HIS money. It's easy to forget that when you've got someone putting millions into the club nearly every week in some form or another. 

No one will be hurting more than him. 

I like McClaren, and I do think he will do a good job if given the tools. The only problem I have is that the fans will be quick to get on his back, hurl personal insults in the way of Morris and ultimately force him to pull the trigger. It's then back to the drawing board in terms of finding a manager to either get the best out of the players or start a rebuilding job. 

As it stands, McClaren has a rebuild job on his hands and it's not going to be easy. Perhaps Morris will pay some players off, we've made huge losses on a lot of them already so what's another lump sum to get rid for good. We've then got to find the players that are better, which for me is the major sticking point. I personally don't trust the recruitment side to advise McClaren correctly. 

We'll no doubt lose some players in the summer, with many going on to do well at their new clubs. I just don't know whether we will bring in good players to replace them, at the moment we have a success rate of around one in five. 

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Is he really the first manager to make a tactical mistake?

When got a really unbalanced squad, and McClaren has managed to get them on playoff form since he has come in. What more can you ask for? I mean, seriously?

6 points from our last 9 league games. Playoff form?

In answer to original question. Yes he will.. Yes he should. A summer to bring in some fresh names.  The  injured players and Martin back and we will do well.

As fans we have to change things next season and not assume we have the right to go up and win every game 5-0. 

Another manager with different ideas and different players again won't help at all. 

Maclaren has never really been able to bring his own players in, and should be given the chance.

If we bring in quality players, the're still quality players 9 months later, at least we will know once

and for all if Mac can really come up with the goods.

5  new, 8 out, a fit Thorne and Forsythe, Martin back, Hughes with renewed enthusiasm and a 

pre season, and we are almost there.

Archived