Barcelona/PSG

TheresOnlyWanChope

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I think I'd be sensible enough to adapt to my surroundings - wouldn't go to Germany and start making jokes about Hitler, for example.

I agree with that. He definitely should've been banned. I just baulk at the idea that he's definitely a massive racist with people absolutely refusing to consider context.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Anon said:

I agree with that. He definitely should've been banned. I just baulk at the idea that he's definitely a massive racist with people absolutely refusing to consider context.

Agreed. Even Evra thought Suarez wasn't 'a racist'.

Sadly, such is the way of the world, people love playing judge, jury and executioner, not helped by sensationalist media reporting.

On 10/03/2017 at 16:13, MuespachRam said:

As everyone knows with even half a brain, the context that you use any word defines its meaning. 

A racist, as Suarez was proven to be, would use the word "black" in a derogatory way and in this case yes it is a racist comment. 

So you think it's ok for him to point at his skin and call Evra the N word...? That's ok is it..? Well it may be in your house but I sure isn't in mine. 

Negrito literally means 'little black boy'. The slur is as much in the 'little boy' as in the 'black'. Its meant to be condescending. 

My daughter is often referred to as 'gringita' or 'little white girl' when we go back to peru. She is a 7 year old girl with paler skin than most Peruvians, even though she's half Peruvian. Should I be offended by this? I'm not even sure any more. 

I take it in context. It's not meant to be offensive, therefore I don't take offence.  Should I feel she has been racially abused? That's certainly not the intent, so I don't feel outraged.

Go to East Africa and see how often you'll be called Muzungu. Means white man. Would you take offence? Now one of those Africans comes to Britain and someone dares to call him a black man, and gets hung drawn and quartered for it.

its just a cultural difference. Don't try telling me their more ignorant in South America or Africa, cos then who's being racist.

Suarez meant to be offensive, so evra is right to take offence. But did he mean to be racist? I don't think so, and neither did evra. 

Course now he'll forwever be known as a racist.

i also thought about what if Eranio ended up on our coaching staff. The general consensus on the eranio thread is that he was taken out of context. But you watch the forest fans tar him with that stick every chance they get. Who would be right? Do we change facts to suit our own ideal reality? Are you painting Suarez as a fully signed up, hood wearing member of the kkk, just cos he's a **** and you don't like him?

everyones got a right to be a ****. 

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 14:34, TigerTedd said:

Negrito literally means 'little black boy'. The slur is as much in the 'little boy' as in the 'black'. Its meant to be condescending. 

My daughter is often referred to as 'gringita' or 'little white girl' when we go back to peru. She is a 7 year old girl with paler skin than most Peruvians, even though she's half Peruvian. Should I be offended by this? I'm not even sure any more. 

I take it in context. It's not meant to be offensive, therefore I don't take offence.  Should I feel she has been racially abused? That's certainly not the intent, so I don't feel outraged.

Go to East Africa and see how often you'll be called Muzungu. Means white man. Would you take offence? Now one of those Africans comes to Britain and someone dares to call him a black man, and gets hung drawn and quartered for it.

its just a cultural difference. Don't try telling me their more ignorant in South America or Africa, cos then who's being racist.

Suarez meant to be offensive, so evra is right to take offence. But did he mean to be racist? I don't think so, and neither did evra. 

Course now he'll forwever be known as a racist.

i also thought about what if Eranio ended up on our coaching staff. The general consensus on the eranio thread is that he was taken out of context. But you watch the forest fans tar him with that stick every chance they get. Who would be right? Do we change facts to suit our own ideal reality? Are you painting Suarez as a fully signed up, hood wearing member of the kkk, just cos he's a **** and you don't like him?

everyones got a right to be a ****. 

I'd give this more likes if I could. It perfectly sums up the situation with first hand examples.

The section I've highlighted is really important too. I don't really care about Suarez's reputation and I don't think you do either. What we do care about is that actual, genuine racism isn't de-stigmatised by people misusing the accusation and broadening it's terms to include people who aren't racist that they simply don't like.

Archived