Mobile phones and driving

King Kevin

6 points and £200 fine for using a mobile whilst driving from 1st March 2017*

Advice to keep it simple:
- Keep your mobile in a craddle or glove box
- You cant touch the phone if its in a craddle, even if you stop at lights and even if your parked up with the engine on
- If you want to use the sat nav on a mobile or plug the charger in. You must set it up before keys are in the ignition and dont touch it once engine is on
- You cant scroll for tracks on your mobile while driving so have your playlist set up before entering the car
- If you work for Uber or alike, you cant touch the phone when the engine is on. So you cant accept work while your on the move
- Mobile can only be used if your parked up safely with engine off and keys out of ignition (Wireless keys - engine off)
- Death by dangerous driving is now life imprisonment, no longer 14 years
- You can use a mobile via built in-car technology like bluethooth. However, if you do have a collision, it can go against you.
- You cant use headphones 
- You cant use loud speaker from your phone
- You cant move your phone while the engine is on 
- If you call someone and they are driving, hang up
- If you are a passenger and the driver is using a phone, take it off them and tell them off
- If you are a employer and you force your staff to use a phone, It can result into imprisonment for you, large fines and your company being suspended from operation 

Thoughts.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can agree with that except for you should be allowed to use it if you're parked up with the engine running....and by parked up I mean handbrake on, in neutral/park.

Mrs Wolfie has a habit of phoning me from her car and I hang up as soon as I detect she's driving. I occasionally answer calls when driving (hands free) but only to tell them I'll call back later. Hands free is almost as distracting as holding the phone IMO.

I agree with Wolfie, parked up engine running but with handbrake and neutral/park should be okay. Otherwise I'm in agreement.

Personally I don't touch my phone whilst driving, texts/calls can wait.

Hate people on the roads who drive with a phone to their ear, or holding it up. Every time I'm cut up or see someone do something stupid they're inevitably on their phone. 

I'll receive calls via hands free blue tooth but don't think I have ever made a call while driving it's far too complicated and dangerous. I did once in the early days (perhaps 15/20 years ago) and nearly stuffed someone up the back. Lesson learned. My brain has limited multi tasking capacity, end of story :unsure:

this doesn't  to apply to Greeks .. A Greek car driver is quite capable of reversing in to a parking space, having a conversation on a mobile, lighting a fag at the same time as waving a hand and calling someone a malaka

Support this,but as already mentioned a law is only as good as the enforcement.

I live in a city and see very few police and traffic police have all but disappeared.

Unless they are going to invest in the enforcement it is fairly pointless,although I'm sure they will twist the stats to make it look great.

Be interesting to see how the courts are allowed to use the life for death by dangerous,which on the face of it seems a good move.

Much though I shout at and hate seeing other drivers holding their phones to their ear while driving - and that includes an on-duty policeman - I disagree that this is going to have much effect.

I do take calls on my hands free, and initiate them; I don't do texts or watch films or anything else.  When I worked and drove 40,000 miles a year I did it a lot more frequently than I do now and I've never yet had a close call because of it.  Perhaps that's luck.  Perhaps it is my habit of saying 'stop talking' to the caller should a traffic situation be developing that demands my full concentration.

And yes, I do understand that my concentration is supposed to be slightly less when I'm on the phone  (though to contradict that I do find I deliberately switch up my concentration levels because I know that they're supposed to drop) - but then so it is when I talk to passengers, shout at the radio, choose my music bluetoothed from my phone and on the screen, shout at the kids or dogs in the back of the car, eat a kit kat, slurp at diet coke, sneeze, blow my nose, check the traffic on my sat nav further down the road, watch out for cameras and cones, never mind trying to guess what other cars are doing and the 101 things we all do when driving - all of which will impact on some way on your ability to avoid running into someone else.

The police have largely given up on policing roads (and much else) except via cameras and I can't particularly see that this change will do that much to reduce the incidence of mobile phone use.  The chances of being caught in Ilkley are pretty remote, probably slightly greater in Leeds; Bradford police had to have a special focus on it to catch anyone in that city.  Everyone holding a phone knows it's illegal but it doesn't seem to stop many.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

i dont see an issue turning the car off when parked up, shows you are in control. Only takes a few seconds.

Sorry but I'm a nesh bugger and I'm all for pulling over and taking a work call but if it's cold I'm going to bloody well have the heated seats on ;)

7 hours ago, King Kevin said:

- You cant touch the phone if its in a craddle, even if you stop at lights and even if your parked up with the engine on
- If you want to use the sat nav on a mobile or plug the charger in. You must set it up before keys are in the ignition and dont touch it once engine is on
- You cant scroll for tracks on your mobile while driving so have your playlist set up before entering the car
 - You cant use loud speaker from your phone
- You cant move your phone while the engine is on  

Thoughts.

What an absolute load of **** the ones I've left in are.

By the same token you should be banned from driving if you've got a cold because there's a likelihood you may sneeze.

You might as well ban all car stereos altogether whilst you're at it. A mobile plugged into AUX and mounted on your dashboard is no different to that.

6 points for reaching 40cm in front of you to skip a track?

8 minutes ago, Coconut said:

What an absolute load of **** the ones I've left in are.

By the same token you should be banned from driving if you've got a cold because there's a likelihood you may sneeze.

You might as well ban all car stereos altogether whilst you're at it. A mobile plugged into AUX and mounted on your dashboard is no different to that.

6 points for reaching 40cm in front of you to skip a track?

What about...looking for the right coloured sweet in a big pack of wine gums, shuffling around and scratching the back of my leg, looking for a different radio station, trying to get the pen that's sticking into my groin out of my pocket, turning around to moan at the kids who are bickering etc etc. Its impossible to drive with two hands on the wheel at a times, plus deaths have drastically reduced over time. Seems like another money making;  'fine' them idea.

Young(ish) women seem to be particularly bad from what I can gather on my commute. Absolutely glued to their phones.

The law is blunt these days as we have no coppers to enforce it. How many people have been pulled or fined for middle lane hogging? I have lost all patience these days and now break the law myself in dealing with these idiots - I speed past them in the slow lane and pull back infront of them in the middle lane, giving them the obligatory two fingers as I pass them and also gesturing for them to move over.

14 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Young(ish) women seem to be particularly bad from what I can gather on my commute. Absolutely glued to their phones.

The law is blunt these days as we have no coppers to enforce it. How many people have been pulled or fined for middle lane hogging? I have lost all patience these days and now break the law myself in dealing with these idiots - I speed past them in the slow lane and pull back infront of them in the middle lane, giving them the obligatory two fingers as I pass them and also gesturing for them to move over.

+1 doing their make up as well also being one of the most rude and aggressive  types of driver .Problem being a gentleman of sorts it's hard to take retribution against a women.

15 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

How many people have been pulled or fined for middle lane hogging? I have lost all patience these days and now break the law myself in dealing with these idiots - I speed past them in the slow lane and pull back infront of them in the middle lane, giving them the obligatory two fingers as I pass them and also gesturing for them to move over.

My mate did that and got pulled over and points for careless driving. Fair to say he was not a happy bunny.

There's a section of the A1 near Peterborough that I use regularly, where it goes from 2 lanes to 4, for a few miles. It's a bit of a racetrack anyway but the road is rarely busy in all lanes and you get loads of lane 3 hoggers there with 2 empty lanes on their left hand side.

I don't see a problem with switching to a USA style where you can overtake on either side i don't know what the accident figures are like due to the policy but in my mind it could improve safety by reducing frustration levels while increasing the alertness required by drivers and so reduce the number of avoidable rear end shunts. That might be total rubbish of course but makes sense to me :)

Archived