We need to stop giving names to windy weather

David

On 23/02/2017 at 15:00, Anon said:

If we must insist on pointlessly anthropomorphising weather by naming storms we should at least give them insulting names. That way you could say, "I was late for my meeting because D*ckhead took out power cables on the east coast mainline" or "B*stard smashed up the patio furniture so I'll have to go to B&Q this weekend."

I like this,Storm Ba****d.Much more appropriate.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/02/2017 at 10:26, David said:

Doris? seriously? The Americans do a lot of things that we shouldn't copy, this is high up on the list.

Need to go back to the "It's a bit windy out init" days, the way this country deals with a cm of snow is pathetic without starting this rubbish as well. 

It's for a reason, it makes recording weather conditions for future reference easier. The wind was extreme and as such needs referencing in the archives, particularly as we are getting more of these extreme storms each year. 

2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

It's for a reason, it makes recording weather conditions for future reference easier. The wind was extreme and as such needs referencing in the archives, particularly as we are getting more of these extreme storms each year. 

Met office say....

Derek Ryall, Head of Public Weather Service at the Met Office said "By naming storms more people were made aware of the approaching threat of severe weather and were able to act on this information. A YouGov survey based on the first seven storms showed that 55% of those surveyed took steps to prepare for stormy weather after hearing that a storm had been named. People were therefore better informed."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/2016/nameourstorms2016

Well we named this one Doris and @mozza didn't take any steps to prepare for her

18 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I have never known a Doris that is anything less than frightening. We were warned Doris was coming and although her earlier visit was postponed, she made up for it yesterday. 

But a storm Colin just wouldn't sound so fearsome. 

The Memsahib's nickname at work many years ago was Doris.

I agree with this message.

Archived