Trappist-1

Stive Pesley

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/02/22/nasa-announcement-live/

Aliens!*

In contrast to our sun, the TRAPPIST-1 star – classified as an ultra-cool dwarf – is so cool that liquid water could survive on planets orbiting very close to it, closer than is possible on planets in our solar system. All seven of the TRAPPIST-1 planetary orbits are closer to their host star than Mercury is to our sun. The planets also are very close to each other. If a person was standing on one of the planet’s surface, they could gaze up and potentially see geological features or clouds of neighboring worlds, which would sometimes appear larger than the moon in Earth's sky

*potentially

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing stuff, it will be good to have somewhere relatively close by in our galaxy to go to, after we destroy this planet. Although 400 trillion km is a bit of a hike. 

Not much to fear from aliens I don't think, we've been send out unambiguous biosignatures from this planet, via the light passing through the atmosphere for more than 2,000,000,000 years. Any civilizations within roughly 20,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kms away with powerful enough telescopes could see those. And yet not a single alien with an invasion fleet has bothered their tentacles to show up.

They are saying the biggest most exciting discovery in modern times, interesting stuff. Wonder if they have any good Defensive Midfielders there? 

In a couple of hundred years we may have solved the problem of getting there, perhaps only to find a private property sign with a pic of a snarling hell hound and maybe there's a law that says any race that mistreats it's native planet is not allowed to muck up any others.

On 22/02/2017 at 23:43, Highgate said:

Amazing stuff, it will be good to have somewhere relatively close by in our galaxy to go to, after we destroy this planet. Although 400 trillion km is a bit of a hike. 

Not much to fear from aliens I don't think, we've been send out unambiguous biosignatures from this planet, via the light passing through the atmosphere for more than 2,000,000,000 years. Any civilizations within roughly 20,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kms away with powerful enough telescopes could see those. And yet not a single alien with an invasion fleet has bothered their tentacles to show up.

I reckon they are all around us, but make great efforts to not be noticed.

Having seen the way we behave, they put the central locking on in the flying saucers and zip on by.

On 22/02/2017 at 20:13, Boycie said:

Thank god it's about a new galaxy, I thought it was a thread about ***** beer.

Oh. I was just going to send my application off.

Archived