Wage demands

Chester40

Know it's an old issue...but seriously...

Sutton got 50k off Arsenal and said we can finally paint the changing rooms; get the training ground fixed etc...made me realise how mental things are...

Arsenal narrowly beat them and have got bang average players  pulling in more than that a week who didn't even get on the pitch.

Now Rooney being talked about as £52million a year. WTF.

VERY sad state of affairs, depressing and plainly just wrong. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wage bill cap is long overdue in football. The millions these players are pocketing could cover lowering ticket prices, filling empty stadiums, making football affordable again.

Funding local initiatives that get kids into football with the right facilities to help them develop.

Might even have clubs not operating at a loss for a change!

Not calling for players to be on minimum wage but when they are earning more in a week than some people do in 5 years is ridiculous. 

The problem is that whilst leagues are competing for viewers both domestically and abroad they will never introduce any measure that may harm that process. Sky, all of the individual FA's, UEFA and FIFA couldn't give a monkeys nut sack about Sutton United or the disparity between the biggest clubs and everyone else as long as they get their slice.

Wage cap for the club, YES, but not for the players.

If Barcelona want to pay Messi billions, it should mean that they do NOT have so much to spend on the rest of the squad.

Works perfectly well in American football,.... the Super Bowl winners pay quarterback Tom Brady a fortune and his team-mates are happy to bask in the reflected glory while earning less than they could at useless, no-hope franchises.

I don't agree with any sort of cap, that's not to say I dont think the players salaries aren't ridiculous but to cap them is unfair. 

Previously I have felt this on a rational level; that it has put clubs at risk (Portsmouth), or is creating an unhealthy or uneven playing field (Man City).

Now I just dislike it even if there is enough money washing around for it to be sustainable. Its a game, where the players represent the club, the city of my birth and ultimately me. I actually don't want to watch players who are earning £100k a week never mind a million. It's obscene.

We are lucky we have a chairman with money but we are struggling on the pitch at the moment. So what do we do...spend 10 or 15. .20mil on a player? Raise the wages to 50 or 100k a week to get in more quality.?? Its not my money but the whole thing is really alienating. 

I'm not old enough that I got the bus with players travelling to the game...but someone has surely got to see sense at some point? Players have donated proceeds from testimonials, maybe that is the way forward. Someone like Rooney saying it's madness, and 200k is more than enough so here's 300k a week to cancer research! You can keep 500k and invest it in Chinese youth programmes! Just one person trying to turn the whole train around a bit!!

5 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Know it's an old issue...but seriously...

Sutton got 50k off Arsenal and said we can finally paint the changing rooms; get the training ground fixed etc...made me realise how mental things are...

Arsenal narrowly beat them and have got bang average players  pulling in more than that a week who didn't even get on the pitch.

Now Rooney being talked about as £52million a year. WTF.

VERY sad state of affairs, depressing and plainly just wrong. 

I blame Jimmy Hill - it's all his fault!

Why stop with football clubs? I think we should just put a maximum wage on all employment sectors - £30,000 a year should do it. After all - who can spend more than that in a year.

Football clubs are businesses like any other - they earn a lot of money and hence can afford to pay their players a lot of money - I don't see any logical reason why they should be stopped from doing this if no other business is going to be shafted in the same way. I certainly wouldn't want my earning potential to be capped and anyone who says you can't possibly spend more than £500,000 a week lacks either ambition or imagination.

4 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I blame Jimmy Hill - it's all his fault!

You laugh W20 but you're right. In 1961 the maximum wage was abolished thanks in great part to Jimmy Hill, and what we have now is the direct result of what happened then. It changed because the balance was wrong between club and player.

There's much to be welcomed from the huge investment there's been in football over the last 25 years in particular - better stadia, better pitches, better medical care of players, better training facilities - and even more, in my view, that is unwelcome - too much foreign ownership and managers and players, kick off times, ticket prices.  And players' wages.

But.  You either let the market rule or you go back to the days of the maximum wage (of a club as a whole or by individual player).  For all its obscenity let the market decide.  It will change at some point, because the balance is becoming wrong again. 

On 22/02/2017 at 21:34, ilkleyram said:

You laugh W20 but you're right. In 1961 the maximum wage was abolished thanks in great part to Jimmy Hill, and what we have now is the direct result of what happened then. It changed because the balance was wrong between club and player.

There's much to be welcomed from the huge investment there's been in football over the last 25 years in particular - better stadia, better pitches, better medical care of players, better training facilities - and even more, in my view, that is unwelcome - too much foreign ownership and managers and players, kick off times, ticket prices.  And players' wages.

But.  You either let the market rule or you go back to the days of the maximum wage (of a club as a whole or by individual player).  For all its obscenity let the market decide.  It will change at some point, because the balance is becoming wrong again. 

Thing is, it's not a free market. And it won't necesarily change because it is not a freely functioning market in the economic sense.

Easy solution. All premier league clubs must pay 10% of their total wage bill to grass roots football. 

If they want to pay £200m a year in wages then you have to pay £20m a year into kids leagues, youth leagues, sunday leagues etc to pay for pitches, changing rooms, kits, referees, help with transport to games, etc.

Pay your players as much as you want knowing you are helping to get many more kids into football so helping the sport that you love! Win Win!

Archived