Soggy Bottom

I Am Sheep

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Definitely an interesting thought, but how much of Leicester's decline would you think is due to Kante leaving? I'm sure that him leaving made Leicester worse, but I would cite motivation being Leicester's biggest problem - I'd back that up by saying that have (so far - probably will change in the week) been doing quite well in the champions league. I do think though that you're right i.e. Thorne, I doubt we'll ever seen him fully fit again, sadly.

Both equally valid arguments, for sure. Going back to Kanté, his job was to win the ball and quickly get their pacey forwards to hit the opposition on the counter attack. Watching them this year you can see they aren't winning the ball enough and playing to Vardy's strengths (hence the goal drought). As with most things, they're awful form is probably a combination of all these factors and more. Probably most likely it's the free pizzas catching up with them. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited for next season. Thorne to hopefully return with no setbacks, Will keeps adding to his game, Ince is on fire, Keogh playing well imo and then add some back up to them and build around them and it could look good. 

Whenever I watch Thorne, I find it interesting to watch him whilst the play is going on. He always seems to be one step ahead and knows what the opposition will do before it happens. 

Same could be said for Will, he is always one step ahead and has a knack of creating space with a turn or picking a position to create space for others. These two special players together could do some damage in our league. All about getting both fit and ready for a 46 + game season. 

9 hours ago, jono said:

Meanwhile ... Get De Saart in the gym 

the transition we have seen in the last 12 months with Will, from skilled lightweight to a player with physicality to go with the skill is remarkable. 

He's been way off for weeks. Really unremarkable. But I do get your point in fairness.

14 hours ago, cosmic said:

Leicester's decline without Kanté this season shows just how important that "quarter-back" role is, but also how dangerous it can be to build a team or style of play that relies so heavily on that role.

We'd do well to remember this when cooing over Thorne. 

I'd have said Drinkwater was more the quarter-back though. He sat in which gave Kante the licence to press. Kante was more like a super-intelligent defensive version of Bryson.

Brighton seem to have their midfielders acting as pistons and don't really have a clearly defined holding midfielder and yet their record without Dale Stephens is horrendous… which goes someway to showing that it's not just the quarterback position. 

It's about balance than anything for me. Eustace, Hughes and Bryson were perfect. Eustace knew the role inside out and was competent on the ball. Hughes could do the play-making for him and would get the ball through the thirds. Bryson was the runner. 

Eustace, Jeff and Bryson didn't look anywhere near as fluid (though it was just the one game and we still won). What George did was take over the play-making role from Hughes whilst possessing the knowledge of the role. This meant that we could have another runner in Jeff. We still had that balance though of runner, play-maker and holder. 

De Sart and Mascarell are nippy, can run the show from deep and can win the ball back but to me aren't lone DMs (Omar's currently battling for a place in next season's Champions League as a part of a pairing). They get caught out of position because they're pressing without having anyone covering.

To me, if we want to cover Thorne we want to sign somebody who's comfortable on the ball and who know the DM position inside out. If we want to replace him then we're going to have to pull a blinder - be it through some amazing scouting or getting someone like Carrick in on a free for a season. 

6 hours ago, cannable said:

De Sart and Mascarell are nippy, can run the show from deep and can win the ball back but to me aren't lone DMs (Omar's currently battling for a place in next season's Champions League as a part of a pairing). They get caught out of position because they're pressing without having anyone covering.

Agree with this and thought it a few times. Watching his highlights for Standard Liege he was always in a 2 and Boro play with a 2 as well.

I don't fully buy the 'Thorne won't stay fit' argument after last season. I can understand why people think it though.

Played 32, 2 from the bench, in the league, and 1 game in each cup. That's over half of his total (51) for Derby.

Missed 5 matches due to a calf injury over two spells, and 1 for suspension.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/george-thorne/leistungsdaten/spieler/128910/plus/0?saison=2015

There's a fit player in there. Can't legislate for having your leg broken.

9 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

He's been way off for weeks. Really unremarkable. But I do get your point in fairness.

Agreed. Since that hamstring tweak he hasn't been right at all. I am hoping a weeks respite will have helped. 

My point was since comming back from the big injury and again more so since Mac2 he has looked physically an order of magnitude stronger. He resists challenges that 18 months ago would have seen him bundled off the ball. I think De Saart has it to be a GT mark2 but he doesn't have the weight/power yet, against the "wrong" type of player he is getting outfought before his skills can come to the fore. I think he will get better with every match he plays. 

As awful as a broken leg is it's easier to fix than ACLs and he had both of those sorted already there have just been complications along the way such as the infection I think he got during his recovery.

That uncultered savage Douglas should have got a straight red I am still bitter we played a full strength team that day but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I have suggested before that lad Diagouraga from Leeds. He is massively out of favour there hence his loan to Ipswich so you could pick him up for cheap. He could be Thornes cover he is experienced and can play he was and important part of that amazing Brentford team that defied the odds a few seasons ago under Warburton.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I don't fully buy the 'Thorne won't stay fit' argument after last season. I can understand why people think it though.

Played 32, 2 from the bench, in the league, and 1 game in each cup. That's over half of his total (51) for Derby.

Missed 5 matches due to a calf injury over two spells, and 1 for suspension.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/george-thorne/leistungsdaten/spieler/128910/plus/0?saison=2015

There's a fit player in there. Can't legislate for having your leg broken.

Bravo Animal

Ligament damage is a bad injury but to me doesn't signify weakness .. its bad luck, falling or getting caught awkwardly. A broken leg ? come on lads

I still maintain the hope that George (and us) just got plain unlucky and given his age and good docs will make a 100% comeback. One thing for sure, with the price of players even close to his ability it isn't exactly a gamble is it !

2 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

As awful as a broken leg is it's easier to fix than ACLs and he had both of those sorted already there have just been complications along the way such as the infection I think he got during his recovery.

That uncultered savage Douglas should have got a straight red I am still bitter we played a full strength team that day but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I have suggested before that lad Diagouraga from Leeds. He is massively out of favour there hence his loan to Ipswich so you could pick him up for cheap. He could be Thornes cover he is experienced and can play he was and important part of that amazing Brentford team that defied the odds a few seasons ago under Warburton.

Brentford's POTS in 14/15 I believe.

Archived