Big Overhaul - New Squad - Who?

mrdave85

Just buying better than we already have would be a good start. We need to replace Thorne(don't reckon he'll play many games for us again, just going by his previous record as that's all we can do) a new right back to replace Baird who's contract is up in the summer. A striker to replace bent who's contract is up in the summer. I thought bogle would have been a great replacement in the January window for such a small fee. Hopefully shift out a few like Blackman, vydra (maybe on loan if anyone will have him), Russell maybe, think ince will go to a premier league team. Think we'll then need to sign a quality winger or two. This all depends on who goes out but wouldn't say massive changes needed. Just quality and not quantity. I'd swap butterfield for a tough tackling midfielder 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solid right back. Sell one of Baird and Christie. I'd edge towards keeping Baird due to experience and not running into Ince's space. Maybe Wisdom?

Hard as nails defensive midfielder. Preferably described as a "grizzled veteran", wears black boots. Has a skin head and permanent 5 o'clock shadow. Give him the armband.

Central midfielder who is going to play like Bryson did in 13/14. Listen to offers for Butterfield.

Genuinely quality left winger. Maybe Bale. Would settle for Ribery. Get rid of Russell or Camara.

Get rid of Vydra and Blackman. Give Bent another year.

No overhaul for me. Not that I've much of a clue anyway. I trust those in charge to get things like this right. But I can't help but repeat what I've said all season, and that is that for me, Martin is a huge miss. So re-add him to the squad and we've improved massively. The way Bryson in the past and Butterfield last season linked with him to score and assist regularly is something people overlook. 

I have my doubts about Thorne ever returning at any kind of previous level, but if he can do then that's another huge fillip. So you've (in my opinion) strengthened the team already just by reintroducing two of our own players, at no cost. 

There will of course be players moved on. I'm not suggesting any though as like I say, I support them whilst Rams and thus posting nonsense on here saying "player x can go" seems a bit of a weird exercise, to me anyway. But it's clear that a handful look likely to make way for a few new recruits. 'Tis ever thus. 

I still think we've a good pool of talent here, and with those two returning players I've highlighted, plus a bit of wheeling and dealing, I imagine we will again be in the mix for a top six push next term. 

My thoughts are similar to many:

1 new good young centre back  (maybe with 3 at the back in mind) certainly someone to push or current main 3 who i would listen very carefully to offers for if we got any. This is a lower priority to my other suggestions.

I think we're ok at right back, the squad is too big as it it - that said id love wisdom back at the club id say he is better than both of our current right backs.

Our midfield has to be better if we are to consistently outperform the other promotion contenders. Id agree that a lynch pin/ quarterback is essential as we have so badly missed the supreme thorne.  We also need goals from the middle of the park,  something out current crop can't deliver - izzy brown on loan would be ideal but id imagine its not likely. 

Id listen to offers for all midfielders other than hughes and thorne 

Presuming we have martin back next season then a young pacey striker would be a good addition - tom lawrence can play on the left and through the middle so id be very interested in him.

Jota looks very good and could be available for free.  He could solve our problem on the left wing. Id still be interested in sako in the summer but i think he has high wage demands that would be hard to meet. Similarly i believe Norwich and Burnley nearly struck a deal at 8m for Pritchard in January.  If Norwich don't want him then we could do a lot worse than signing him. 

Id let all current wingers and forwards other than ince, bent and nugent go if we can raise suitable fees.

3 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

Similarly i believe Norwich and Burnley nearly struck a deal at 8m for Pritchard in January.  If Norwich don't want him then we could do a lot worse than signing him. 

Pritchard only joined Norwich in the summer - for about that figure. Would love him here, but not a chance.

43 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Pritchard only joined Norwich in the summer - for about that figure. Would love him here, but not a chance.

Im certain he nearly left Norwich on deadline day for 8m. That suggests they were willing to cut their losses and move on,  I don't think this would be as unrealistic as you suggest. Although he got 2 on the weekend against forest i think he has been used mainly as a substitute this season. 

6 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

Im certain he nearly left Norwich on deadline day for 8m. That suggests they were willing to cut their losses and move on,  I don't think this would be as unrealistic as you suggest. Although he got 2 on the weekend against forest i think he has been used mainly as a substitute this season. 

Burnley are interested in signing winger Alex Pritchard from Norwich City, according to Sky sources.

One source is reporting that talks have started regarding a possible £8m deal for the 23-year-old England U21 international.

If Norwich go up, then maybe, but I can't see them selling to a 'rival' of sorts, and with Prem interest around. Still, stranger things have happened!

22 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I like that other than I want to see how Russell works out with Martin again before we consider other options.

Tthe only squad players I'd keep are; Butterfield, Baird, Lowe, Pearce, Nugent. The rest can go.

Mitchell should be #1 IMO, Carson backup. Get rid of all the full backs except lowe. Play 3 at the back Shacks, Rawson & 1 new centre half. Get rid of Keogh & Pearce. Lowe will be a left wing back with a new right wing back to come in. Cash in on Hughes, Butterfield & Ince - use the cash to buy Joey Barton and 1 more centre midfield. Sell all forwards - promote Zanzala & Vernam to first team use extra cash from hughes/ince sale to buy Crouch. Change Mcclaren now for Paulo Di Canio.

Boom. Premier league in 2018.

Keep:

Carson, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Lowe, Thorne, Hughes, Ince, Martin.

The rest are not good enough and could easily be replaced.

New RB, New CM, New LW are where we need to buy first teamers.

I'd go big money on Trippier, Knockhart (If Brighton don't go up) and Charlie Adam.

Yes all unrealistic but that's the calibre of player we should be looking to bring in.

10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Mitchell should be #1 IMO, Carson backup. Get rid of all the full backs except lowe. Play 3 at the back Shacks, Rawson & 1 new centre half. Get rid of Keogh & Pearce. Lowe will be a left wing back with a new right wing back to come in. Cash in on Hughes, Butterfield & Ince - use the cash to buy Joey Barton and 1 more centre midfield. Sell all forwards - promote Zanzala & Vernam to first team use extra cash from hughes/ince sale to buy Crouch. Change Mcclaren now for Paulo Di Canio.

Boom. Premier league in 2018.

Do you smoke those parsnips or grind them up and sniff them? If it's not the parsnips, you're certainly on something.....

Seriously the wholesale changes i'd like to see are:

A relaxation of expectations. I want to see the team playing their game, sticking to their plans and not crapping themselves because they think they should be winning every game 3-0. The players should be enjoying their football & so should we! We'll end up with an England team complex if we're not careful and never get anywhere - chill!!!

The players that are never going to fit should be moved out if possible. For closure on both sides. That's probably a lot of the recent signings - vydra, wiemann, camara...

I think we have underutilised the loan market? Derby are well set up and we should be able to attract some promising youth here? I'd like to see a first team winger on loan and possibly a back up target man. Ibe was so exciting! Lets get another like that!

The money to spend i think is on a centre midfielder - a really good one who can play alongside Hughes and also take leadership when hughes is not on the pitch. Spend a fortune - get someone amazing.

And make Steve McClaren stay put. Stability is needed - give him what he wants, let him build, relieve him of pressure - stay out of the dressing room.

I'd prefer a 3 year plan with improvements targetted year on year - and enjoy the football in the meantime.

(26/01/17A. MowattLeedsN/A - yes)

08/01/17D. NugentMiddlesbrough€ 2.9M - no 

30/08/16I. AnyaWatford€ 4.7M - no

30/08/16C. WealeYeovilFree - no

26/08/16M. VydraWatford€ 9.3M - no

(03/08/16A. PritchardTottenhamN/A - yes)

(11/07/16N. PowellMan UtdFree - yes)

(30/06/16D. BentleySouthendN/A - yes)

25/01/16M. OlssonBlackburn€ 600K - possible

05/01/16N. BlackmanReading€ 3.4M - no

03/01/16Abdoul CamaraAngers€ 1.8M - no

31/08/15B. JohnsonNorwichN/A - no

31/08/15J. ButterfieldHuddersfieldN/A - no

(22/07/15J. HarperReal MadridN/A - yes)

22/07/15J. ShackellBurnleyN/A - yes

(09/07/15K. DempseyCarlisleN/A - yes)

02/07/15T. InceHull€ 6.7M - no 

(30/06/15C. WoodLeicesterN/A- yes)

30/06/15A. WeimannAston VillaN/A - no

30/06/15A. PearceReadingFree - possible

30/06/15C. BairdWest BromwichFree - no

30/06/15D. BentAston VillaFree - no 

30/06/15S. CarsonWiganN/A - possible

15/01/15AlbentosaEibar€ 600K - no

14/01/15S. WarnockLeedsN/A - no

Ramnut squad......

Bentley, Carson

Santos, christie, rawson,  keogh, Pearce , Shackell, forsyth, Olssen, lowe, 

Thorne, Dempsey, Hanson,

Hughes, Powell, Bryson, Mowatt

russell, martin, WoodHarper, bennett, Pritchard

15m spent.....10m back on hendrick 

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Ramnut squad......

Bentley, Carson

Santos, christie, rawson,  keogh, Pearce , Shackell, forsyth, Olssen, lowe, 

Thorne, Dempsey, Hanson,

Hughes, Powell, Bryson, Mowatt

russell, martin, WoodHarper, bennett, Pritchard

15m spent.....10m back on hendrick 

Looks like a Clough squad, too much fluff in it. Do you really think Hanson, Santos and Bennett are good enough?

21 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Seriously the wholesale changes i'd like to see are:

A relaxation of expectations. I want to see the team playing their game, sticking to their plans and not crapping themselves because they think they should be winning every game 3-0. The players should be enjoying their football & so should we! We'll end up with an England team complex if we're not careful and never get anywhere - chill!!!

The players that are never going to fit should be moved out if possible. For closure on both sides. That's probably a lot of the recent signings - vydra, wiemann, camara...

I think we have underutilised the loan market? Derby are well set up and we should be able to attract some promising youth here? I'd like to see a first team winger on loan and possibly a back up target man. Ibe was so exciting! Lets get another like that!

The money to spend i think is on a centre midfielder - a really good one who can play alongside Hughes and also take leadership when hughes is not on the pitch. Spend a fortune - get someone amazing.

And make Steve McClaren stay put. Stability is needed - give him what he wants, let him build, relieve him of pressure - stay out of the dressing room.

I'd prefer a 3 year plan with improvements targetted year on year - and enjoy the football in the meantime.

Perfect,my thoughts exactly

Archived