Big Overhaul - New Squad - Who?

mrdave85

First of all, sorry mods if this should be in transfer talk. 

I'm seeing a lot of posts from people saying we need to fully overhaul the squad, or the whole team needs stripping bare and starting fresh. 

These are all very quick to name who we should get rid of - everyone, apparently. Yet no one is giving any names as to who they'd bring in. So I thought I'd open the floor for those of you who want a brand new team.

Who, realistically, would you sign in the summer, and replacing who? 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jota and Judge would be at the top of my list. Both freebies and top players at this level.

Andre Wisdom? Doesn't seem to have had much luck since his loan here, decent option.

Maybe if Ibe was available? I can dream.

Sell any of them, if the right price came in. I really wouldn't be too downhearted. Alot of these players need a fresh challenge; Bryson and Russell standout. If someone offered 15m for Hughes would you really turn it down flat? He's not had that great of a season imo

2 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

No overhaul needed... Maybe a little tweaking in the summer.

That's what was said in the last two transfer windows, but both pearson and Mac were wrong. We have a lot of dead wood to get rid of. Maybe if thorne fozzy and martin are back we will be a lot better. Plus promoting Lowe , zanzala and co if they are fit too. Otherwise we will need to bring in new players as well as getting rid of a large number. 

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

That's what was said in the last two transfer windows, but both pearson and Mac were wrong. We have a lot of dead wood to get rid of. Maybe if thorne fozzy and martin are back we will be a lot better. Plus promoting Lowe , zanzala and co if they are fit too. Otherwise we will need to bring in new players as well as getting rid of a large number. 

Who? I'm not debating what was said previously or before. I'm asking those of you who think that who you would bring in? 

3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Jota and Judge would be at the top of my list. Both freebies and top players at this level.

Andre Wisdom? Doesn't seem to have had much luck since his loan here, decent option.

Maybe if Ibe was available? I can dream.

Sell any of them, if the right price came in. I really wouldn't be too downhearted. Alot of these players need a fresh challenge; Bryson and Russell standout. If someone offered 15m for Hughes would you really turn it down flat? He's not had that great of a season imo

Judge and Wisdom, yes I agree would be good. I've not seen enough of Jota. 

Ibe I don't think is realistic. I'm not against selling any player, we all obviously expect big money for Hughes, £15 mil would definitely open talks. 

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

In 21 games until the end of January we lost 3... 

I said to someone before the game last night that when Mac said he couldn't get players in the transfer window that were better than we had, he was wrong - he could have brought in some players that had fight and bottle even if they weren't technically as gifted - the current squad doesn't have enough 'warriors' as Mac likes to call them - we desperately need fighters who want to win for their own sakes rather than the lily-livered bunch we currently have, The current squad is too 'nice'; too happy to take their money; not willing to bleed for the team - we need a lot more than just a few tweaks....

I would personally:

Sign

ST Abraham - if he can be loaned to Bristol we may seem to be a step up, Bent has done brilliant but he is getting on and I wont say much about Martin as I am particularly critical of him.

Rb- Paterson on a free? I would see what's available but I would certainly look to bring in a RB. Baird is also getting on and for actual quality I don't think he has it- that said he has done well since Christie got injured. As for Christie I would have him as back up at best.

DM- if we are playing this system we need a solid DM I have no faith in thorne being able to play week In week out and I think Johnson should be playing CM. De Saart i wouldn't recall, after West Brom I thought what a player but since then has disappointed for me. Can't think of someone right this second in particular so would look to see situations of players in the summer.

CM-Watkins? I would get in a goal scoring CM as we don't seem to be scoring many from that area and taking a chance on this lower league prospect would be worth it I feel.

possibly a top CB- not too sure on this one as I would like to see how good Rawson actually is but shackell is getting on a bit and despite a good run in the team to start with Pearce is starting to struggle for me.

So Sell/Release

Butterfield- passenger this season lost patience now.

Blackman- The games he has had he has been woeful.

Wieman- actually rate this player but doesn't fit into our current system and we are overloaded out wide

Camara- We are overloaded with average LW's and camara seems to have a bit of interest, I don't think he is consistently good enough for a top 6 championship side so I would cash in.

Vydra- If we are sticking with 1 up top then unfortunately he doesn't fit into our system unless he learns it from now until the summer i would try re coup as much as possible. I still think he could be lethal in someone else's team though.

All that said you recruit for your system so based on the current one I would make those changes- a different system I would change a few of those ^^

People want to release half the squad, even though they're under contract?? Doesn't work like that, we'd end up paying out millions to terminate and then have little budget left overt o replace them,

We can only sell the players that people actually want to buy.

EG How do expect to sell Vydra or Blackman??? OK accept a low fee, cut our losses.. but the buying team will have to match their undoubtedly silly wages to get them to sign. Who's going to do that really?

Annoyingly the players we can sell for good money are Hughes and Ince,  maybe Lowe and Shackell, none of which i'd really like to shift. But If we want to fund an overhaul and keep within FFP, we'd probably have to sell one of them.

More likely scenario though from Mac..., Martin back, Thorne back, Keep hold of Hughe/Ince.. And make some smart purchases that compliment  them..

(or sign whatever ***** McCLarens lad can find on football manager)

Need much added grit as a matter of urgency in the summer.

Please for the love of god employ a no-frills CM (possibly 30 yrs old plus) who will bark orders and kick people now and again!

See: Sidwell, Leadbetter, Barton, Shelvey et al 

A leader. An old head that will take the armband and lead by example. Someone that has been there and done it. The Huth/Barton type player we have been crying out for for years. 

There isn't one man out there that dishes out proper b***ockings. At 3 nil down against bristol there wasn't one leader out there. It was embarrassing. 

I get told off for always pin pointing one paticular player, but we are a reflection of our captain. Panicked, lost, flustered. We need cool, calm, collected, with the ability to administer a verbal right hook. 

It's as important to have hungry players who can actually play in existing positions waiting in the wings either as subs or cover for injuries.

In 13/14, players like Sammon and Bennett were doing a much better job coming on from the bench compared to Vydra or Blackman now.

Sammon was technically a pub footballer but it didn't matter. We could be drawing in the 80th minute and all we needed to do was unleash our rabid giraffe to cause absolute chaos and the ball would somehow spill into the path of Bryson or Martin and they'd sweep home the winner

Bennett never truly understood what sport he was supposed to be playing, but I remember him coming on against Yeovil and charging at their right-back with his flailing limbs and instilling fear into their back four in the home game we turned round to win 3-2.

There's a big difference between bringing on players who can influence the game or come into a starting XI with energy because they deep down feel lucky to be there, or players who aren't used to being left our and are short on confidence and coming on trying to make an impact in an unfamiliar position.

As things stand, we're a mid-table Championship side and like any club in our position, a total overhaul is completely unnecessary. It only takes a few players to completely change a club's fortunes. We just need to have our first effective summer since 2013.

Archived