Season over

Sexydadbod

2 minutes ago, Doodle said:

A big overhaul is required within the club if we want promotion.  We shouldn't get carried away with thinking all will be rosy when Martin returns. He will help yes but be world beaters no. As it stands there are 10 better teams than us in this division and only 3 will go up. 3 very rich teams will come down so a lot of work is needed. We have blown our best chance of promotion 2/3 years back. There were a lot of mediocre sides around the top of this division back then, not so now. It's going to take either a big loss in money to rid the squad of players who we have paid big money for. We will only recoup a tiny % of our out lay and I've no idea if this can be done with FFP or even if Mel is willing to bankroll it. The other alternative is to plod on for 2/3 seasons until these players contracts expire. We should use the rest of this season to experiment with players and systems. Maclaren is often described as a one trick pony, we all know this and it does provide for entertainment, however not success to date. He needs to adapt too. We haven't got the ideal personnel for 4-3-3 as it stands, so let's try a different formation, try building a system to fit the players rather than the other way round. We may by experimenting discover a hidden gem of a partnership or system. If not at least we start next season knowing what the squad is capable of. 

After a while teams work out the weaknesses in McClaren's 4-3-3.

For it to work you need three incredibly energetic powerhouses in midfield and three forwards who are either so brilliant in attack that you don't need to defend or who, more realistically, are prepared to close down defenders and force rushed clearances.

The defence isn't poor all of a sudden. They have been exposed in games where we played a more expansive style.

Just a few weeks ago we were moaning (and yes, me too) that we weren't creating enough. Suddenly we have scored six in two games and have one point to show for it.

We have a team that plays naive football. 

Whether that's down to the manager needs to be looked at.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with most comments. Before Saturday we had averaged 2 pts a game since McClaren came back and we were still outside the playoffs. It was always going to be tough.

McClaren will continue to be positive and finish as high as we can this season, but in reality, the season is over. We need to start planning for next season and a clear out is required. The £25m worth of dross we signed last season needs to go with few exceptions. There are also players who have been with us too long like Russell, and possibly Bryson and Keogh who need moving on. We will then need to integrate the right youngsters and strengthen particularly in midfield to have a powerful, energetic attacking team with the steel required to mount a promotion push! 

It will be a very difficult task and if we get it wrong, it could set us back another 4 years. I believe in McClaren though!

Ive read most of the posts on this forum posted since the final whistle last night , and it tells me that what evers being posted negative or positive We Care , we love our football club and want whats best for it , so lets dust ourselves down , things have been a lot worse than this , and start again next Tuesday giving Mac and the team our full support , the manager will be learning about his squad , who is needed and who isnt , every game , so lets be patient , Mac will get it right , and anyway id rather be in our position than Villas , now they are a shambles COYR

To be fair, the last two performances defensively have been shocking. And it is true to say play offs are looking even more out of reach because of the teams above. However I think that the season is not over. This could be our small blip, the attack seems to be performing okay with bent and ince being as reliable as ever. What's to say with a full weeks rest and a good few days of training that the defence  can't return to their previous form and we go on another decent run that gives us another chance of getting in to the play offs 

One of the problems this season is the top teams are particularly strong. 4th place now has 60 points. Normally I would say that would be a tally of a top 2 side at this stage (I may be wrong). We have 47 from 31 which considering the Pearson return is good. If we had avoided anything like relegation form in the first ten or so matches we would probably be close to 60 points now.

We have suffered so much with injuries. The midfield seems hit and miss though this season- Johnson and Butterfield in particular have not been consistently good. The first 30 minutes was impressive yesterday. Somehow we need the steel and solidity to keep this going for a whole match.

35 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Tell you what our next 5 fixtures are games we could be winning. So as a positive we could really be going for maximum points. Maybe its not over just yet.. ask me again after Burton.

And what about the last 2 games....? Should we have been winning those too? 

Its totally over, they have completely blown it and are nowhere near good enough to firstly claw back 8 points just to get level with 6 place now we also have to do better than 4 other teams over the rest of the season. 

13 hours ago, Ramarena said:

It's still possible, we'd need a really good run. However we don't look good enough to be in the play-offs. 

But to get into the top six, the players have to want it. At the critical time we are not seeing that are we?...and yes it's a reoccurring theme. Same story at other ambitious championship clubs I guess....

1 hour ago, Davide said:

One of the problems this season is the top teams are particularly strong. 4th place now has 60 points. Normally I would say that would be a tally of a top 2 side at this stage (I may be wrong). We have 47 from 31 which considering the Pearson return is good. If we had avoided anything like relegation form in the first ten or so matches we would probably be close to 60 points now.

We have suffered so much with injuries. The midfield seems hit and miss though this season- Johnson and Butterfield in particular have not been consistently good. The first 30 minutes was impressive yesterday. Somehow we need the steel and solidity to keep this going for a whole match.

If we had not dropped 18 points from the last 30 available we would be in the play offs and topic like this one would not have started.

Pearson bit was bad but don't delude yourself -  12 pts from our last tens games - proves there is a link between Pearson and Mac and its those on the pitch!

Gotta agree... that's the overriding feeling I've had seen last night...the season is over!

Over in less than a week, you could say...was a massive mistake to rest so many against Leicester, they were there for the taking.

Was always going to be difficult to make the top 6 even before these last two shambolic home performance's...we may aswell have had a good tilt at the cup..

In hindsight (which I agree is a wonderful thing) our best chance this season of making Wembley was in the cup...if only in a semi-final...

Team needs a clear out in the summer...not good enough.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Exactly. So we probably wouldn't but we could have put a different slant on it!

Well who knows now anyway?

Thing is you've got to give yourself a chance in the first place!

Sod it, it's all academic now..

Not over confident we'll beat Burton at this rate.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

And what about the last 2 games....? Should we have been winning those too? 

Its totally over, they have completely blown it and are nowhere near good enough to firstly claw back 8 points just to get level with 6 place now we also have to do better than 4 other teams over the rest of the season. 

Were you predicting we could rise to 5th at the end of Pearson's tenure? Over 40 points to play for so whilst hihgly unlikely, it's not 'totally over' just yet.

I have a solution.. Find out whoever has created the most 'Match day' threads... Get him/her back in the seat and Bob's yer uncle we are back on winning ways.

I have always though it a tad harsh, we just dump these guys after one bad performance.. We can't just keep chopping and changing like this, it does nobody any good. @Kernow Always got a mistake in him, two games he had to go I suppose.

We need continuity on and off the field.. Did we rest someone for the cup? If not why not.. Oh wait we brought in @i-Ram for that one, so we did rest posters. Defo down grade there.

Who said us fans cannot play our part.. We are the 12th man.. 

Archived