Monkey Puzzle Trees

dog

Was thinking about things from the 70s which are not quite so evident these days; vauhall vivas,  casual racism and fag advertising on hoardings. 

There were loads of monkey puzzle trees too but I haven't seen one in ages.

Have they all died? Anyone know? 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a country park around the corner from where I grew up called Cusworth Hall and Country Park just off the A1 near Doncaster / Barnsley junction. They have a spectacular one we used to play on as kids and went onto drinking in the branches as teenagers.

It's just to the back of the hall outside tea rooms. It's all twisted and weird. Like a tree version of Nigel Pearson.

2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

There is a country park around the corner from where I grew up called Cusworth Hall and Country Park just off the A1 near Doncaster / Barnsley junction. They have a spectacular one we used to play on as kids and went onto drinking in the branches as teenagers.

It's just to the back of the hall outside tea rooms. It's all twisted and weird. Like a tree version of Nigel Pearson.

Are you sure that was a monkey puzzle free? It's called a monkey puzzle tree cos monkeys can't climb it. You must've been wearing oven gloves or something. 

I remember my parents' friends having one in the garden. That was in the early 90s, so they at least survived beyond the 70s. 

19 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Are you sure that was a monkey puzzle free? It's called a monkey puzzle tree cos monkeys can't climb it. You must've been wearing oven gloves or something. 

I remember my parents' friends having one in the garden. That was in the early 90s, so they at least survived beyond the 70s. 

Are you calling him a monkey?

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Been called worse. Is a monkey tree one that has a twisty and winding bark and branches?

Sorry, i really shouldn't labour the point, but it's where every inch of the branches are all spiny. I'd post a picture, but umm not sure that's working for me.

and I only labour it because I used to really like seeing them for some reason, like the OP, so I fee a small injustice is being done if there is a case of mistaken identity.

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Sorry, i really shouldn't labour the point, but it's where every inch of the branches are all spiny. I'd post a picture, but umm not sure that's working for me.

and I only labour it because I used to really like seeing them for some reason, like the OP, so I fee a small injustice is being done if there is a case of mistaken identity.

that's fine TT. In all honesty I do think i'm talking about a totally different tree to the one you are describing so my fault. I just have this image in my head of one and what someone called it a while back and obviously I've got my wires crossed. Or should I say they have.

Just now, Tony Le Mesmer said:

that's fine TT. In all honesty I do think i'm talking about a totally different tree to the one you are describing so my fault. I just have this image in my head of one and what someone called it a while back and obviously I've got my wires crossed. Or should I say they have.

I had to question my own memory, and thought maybe it was one of those weird mum things where my mum calls something a name cos thats what her auntie called it, so assume that's what everyone knows it by, but it turns out it's just my eccentric auntie making up eccentric things (does anyone else say 'mercy buckets' for 'thank you'?)

but i googled it and confirmed I'm talking about the right thing. Unless my weird auntie is actually running google. God help us all if that's the case. 

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Ah so that's what one looks like! There is a huge one in Matlock Bath outside a hotel on the main drag between the amusement arcades. Very impressive it is too.

You'd slice yourself to ribbons if you climbed one of them, beautiful trees.

Archived