Alcohol, Age, Weight

David

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beer is my largest (personal) monthly expense and an essential dietary requirement for me. I find calorie savings elsewhere.  I am a big guy and my weight can climb quite quickly but I bring it back under control by dropping the Friday kebab and taking pack-up to work every day. Up the exercise too. I put on at this time of year due to Xmas and it being too miserable outside to want to get out on my bike every other evening (which I can do routinely in the spring/summer/autumn months).

Perhaps I had poor role models, when I think about it a lot of people I have looked up/admired have been on the heavier side of drinking, be it comedy (Cooper), politics (Churchill), writers (Hitchens) etc. I daresay Farage too but that would bring the heavies down on me on this forum! :p.

2 hours ago, sage said:

BMI isn't particularly accurate. Everyone in the England Rugby Union is obese according to that, even the wingers. There is a pincer test which is much more accurate.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to exercise as well, especially if you haven't got a manual job.    

BMI charts are for everyday folk apparently not athletes so wouldn't work at all.

Disagree with the exercise if you're talking about gym style workouts, you can be healthy and keep the weight off by adjusting your calorie intake to suit your lifestyle.

Not saying you can sit in a chair all day and do nothing, when you do have a sedentary job it's important to get up and move around a bit, take the dog for a walk and that especially in daylight hours during the winter which is a popular time to put weight on.

Lack of vitamin D, SAD kicks in, a lot of people turn to food when they are down, order a take away etc.

1 hour ago, David said:

BMI charts are for everyday folk apparently not athletes so wouldn't work at all.

Disagree with the exercise if you're talking about gym style workouts, you can be healthy and keep the weight off by adjusting your calorie intake to suit your lifestyle.

Not saying you can sit in a chair all day and do nothing, when you do have a sedentary job it's important to get up and move around a bit, take the dog for a walk and that especially in daylight hours during the winter which is a popular time to put weight on.

Lack of vitamin D, SAD kicks in, a lot of people turn to food when they are down, order a take away etc.

People differ, but I do generally believe exercise of some description is a pre requisite if losing weight or keeping it off. But it doesn't have to be the gym, walk places go to the local shop on foot instead of the car. Use the stairs instead of the lift...all simple stuff which helps.

4 hours ago, David said:

It isn't what i said. Your example of dog walking is enough for many people if it is done every day.

1 minute ago, sage said:

It isn't what i said. Your example of dog walking is enough for many people if it is done every day.

Like I said "if you're talking" which you wasn't so I'll let you off this time. I don't see a little walking as being classed as exercise, thats just being active. 

Walk from the Brunny to the ground you wouldn't say I'm off to the pub, bit of exercise followed by the game.

The dictionary would back you up saying walking is exercise but it's like darts being classed as a sport, no chance

After been overweight for years, I've been using myfitnesspal app for the last 12 months. Lost loads if weight and it was fairly easy. I was so ignorant before, never really how many calories I was eating. I always ate fairly healthy, just way too much of it. Really hits home when you enter all the calories in. The app turns it all into a bit of a game too. Always make you walk more too as you get the calories back.

On a more general point, I think the English language lets us down here too. Everyone needs to eat carbs, protein and fat each day. But no one wants to be 'fat'. If we used the word 'sugar' for body fat, we might be better off.

"You look really sugar in that top mate."

Subconcious to self: "must stop eating sugar."

34 minutes ago, David said:

Like I said "if you're talking" which you wasn't so I'll let you off this time. I don't see a little walking as being classed as exercise, thats just being active. 

Walk from the Brunny to the ground you wouldn't say I'm off to the pub, bit of exercise followed by the game.

The dictionary would back you up saying walking is exercise but it's like darts being classed as a sport, no chance

Actually for weight loss,long periods of low to medium intensity is ideal ie walking

1 hour ago, sage said:

Actually for weight loss,long periods of low to medium intensity is ideal ie walking

True but that's down to your weight and fitness levels. Increase heart rate = burning calories.

Someone that is seriously overweight with poor fitness will increase their heart rate on a short walk.

The same walk for someone carrying less weight and better fitness levels need to walk a lot further.

A really fit healthy person you would be far better getting the hoover out and going round the house, more productive as well.

I'm sure you know all know that but just wanted to add that for anyone reading thinking walking will drop the pounds. 

End of the day any activity at all is good for you, not just physically but mentally and should be encouraged but for weight loss it is possible to reach your goals whilst sat on your arse by putting the numbers in your mouth that match your lifestyle and remembering liquid calories do count.

Pint of lager is like having a sandwich which when you imagine a proper Saturday night out followed by a 1000 calorie pizza is nuts. 

Always known it, just having the willpower to stay in and watch Ant & Dec with the missus.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

About 80% of weight loss is done by diet, about 20 with exercise. Latter is extremely important for saving your muscles thought. Would be stupid to lose those at the same time as fat.

If you haven't been weight training at all, keep the same activity levels whilst not aggressively undercutting calories you shouldn't see that much muscle loss. 

Whilst gaining weight your arms haven't got big due to muscle gains from the chips, it's the fat covering them that what you're losing. 

Your legs/back on the other hand, the things that have been carrying your fat ass around will have strengthened, but you're not going to see rapid losses to the muscle whilst you have a ton of excess fat to burn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32417699

Physical activity has little role in tackling obesity - and instead public health messages should squarely focus on unhealthy eating, doctors say.

In an editorial in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, three international experts said it was time to "bust the myth" about exercise.

They said while activity was a key part of staving off diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and dementia, its impact on obesity was minimal.

Instead excess sugar and carbohydrates were key.

The experts, including London cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra, blamed the food industry for encouraging the belief that exercise could counteract the impact of unhealthy eating.

They even likened their tactics as "chillingly similar" to those of Big Tobacco on smoking and said celebrity endorsements of sugary drinks and the association of junk food and sport must end.

They said there was evidence that up to 40% of those within a normal weight range will still harbour harmful metabolic abnormalities typically associated with obesity.

But despite this public health messaging had "unhelpfully" focused on maintaining a healthy weight through calorie counting when it was the source of calories that mattered most - research has shown that diabetes increases 11-fold for every 150 additional sugar calories consumed compared to fat calories.

And they pointed to evidence from the Lancet global burden of disease programme which shows that unhealthy eating was linked to more ill health than physical activity, alcohol and smoking combined.

'Unscientific'

Dr Malhotra said: "An obese person does not need to do one iota of exercise to lose weight, they just need to eat less. My biggest concern is that the messaging that is coming to the public suggests you can eat what you like as long as you exercise. 

"That is unscientific and wrong. You cannot outrun a bad diet."

But others said it was risky to play down the role of exercise. Prof Mark Baker, of the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence, which recommends "well-balanced diets combined with physical activity", said it would be "idiotic" to rule out the importance of physical activity.

Ian Wright, director general at Food and Drink Federation, said: "The benefits of physical activity aren't food industry hype or conspiracy, as suggested. A healthy lifestyle will include both a balanced diet and exercise."

He said the industry was encouraging a balanced diet by voluntarily providing clear on-pack nutrition information and offering products with extra nutrients and less salt, sugar and fat.

"This article appears to undermine the origins of the evidence-based government public health advice, which must surely be confusing for consumers," he said.

45 minutes ago, David said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32417699

Physical activity has little role in tackling obesity - and instead public health messages should squarely focus on unhealthy eating, doctors say.

Different bodies say contrasting things. Again I never said exercise alone.

A few years ago it was all about cutting fat, now it's all about cutting sugar.

At the end of the day it is down to using more calories than you put in. The reason I think exercise is key in the long term is that most people haven't got the willpower to keep their calorie count sufficiently low to keep losing weight/keep the weight off without burning some calories as well.

There is also the matter of metabolic rate.  

20 minutes ago, sage said:

Different bodies say contrasting things. Again I never said exercise alone.

A few years ago it was all about cutting fat, now it's all about cutting sugar.

At the end of the day it is down to using more calories than you put in. The reason I think exercise is key in the long term is that most people haven't got the willpower to keep their calorie count sufficiently low to keep losing weight/keep the weight off without burning some calories as well.

There is also the matter of metabolic rate.  

Definitely, I could sit here all morning and have a copy and paste argument with both sides all day.

I'm sure they will still be arguing with each other still when I'm long gone.

My opinions go on a combination of what I've read and experienced myself. I do believe there's a lot of bad information out there designed to sell those 12 month gym contracts and devices like fitbits.

Bought one myself as motivation to get off my arse a bit more, compete with the missus as it can be easy to spend an entire day on the sofa with the laptop, when I realised it also tracked rapid wrist movements I found a more pleasurable way to clock up the steps than walking.

Tried the gym as well, actually managed to put weight on eating more trying to recover, hard to know how many calories you actually burn in there.

Theres an app called Myfitnesspal, best thing I ever downloaded, learnt so much about the number of calories in food, some were shocking, 300 calories in a can of beans, add in the 120 calorie a slice bread and butter you're looking at almost 700 before you've barely started the day.

Minor adjustments to your meals can easily shed the excess pounds 

Archived