Mobile Phones

David

I am not a fan of mobile phones, they do become all encompassing and probably the reason i don't currently have one, I remember a few years ago going Abraham Heights with the kids and I was more concerned with finding a signal and checking messages every two minutes and in honesty it wasn't worth me being there.

The new social media apps terrify me, Snapchat uses a streak or thread that needs to remain updated else you lose it, you can have 130 streaks active and the kids use it like a badge of honor, to keep 130 streaks active you need to spend hours stuck on your phone just to maintain the streak.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was watching Springsteen at the Etihad 4 odd years back, a bloke a few seats from me spent nearly the entire gig trying to film songs on his phone, only to get pissed off when someone walked past. It is living life second hand, why would you want to watch something back if you didn't properly experience it first time around. Do you remember that inspirational gig we went to? No, but I have a video on youtube of it.

There should be a device that stops phones doing anything but making calls at gigs, football matches. Maybe a 5 photo limit. Or just open your eyes, ears and use your senses to get a memory that will last and have emotions attached.

I confess that the last game I went to I took a few photos and videos. It was my first home game in 15 years, nearly 3 years ago now, and I honestly don't know when the next one will be. They were just a few moments, recording the atmosphere and trying to save something "physical" from the day. I strongly doubt that if I was still a season ticket holder that I would take my phone out of my pocket at home games if not completely necessary. But hey, each to his own.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I confess that the last game I went to I took a few photos and videos. It was my first home game in 15 years, nearly 3 years ago now, and I honestly don't know when the next one will be. They were just a few moments, recording the atmosphere and trying to save something "physical" from the day. I strongly doubt that if I was still a season ticket holder that I would take my phone out of my pocket at home games if not completely necessary. But hey, each to his own.

I haven't got a problem with people taking photos and videos at games. Do it before kick off and at half time or even a few minutes into the game if you want to get shots of players on the pitch but other than that just leave it in your pocket and watch the game.

Just don't film goals and free kicks and stuff. Pointless and makes you look like a tourist.

33 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I haven't got a problem with people taking photos and videos at games. Do it before kick off and at half time or even a few minutes into the game if you want to get shots of players on the pitch but other than that just leave it in your pocket and watch the game.

Just don't film goals and free kicks and stuff. Pointless and makes you look like a tourist.

Agree with you, even if I was for all intents and purposes a tourist ?

My phone stays in my pocket until I leave the ground. I just never think about looking at it during the match.

I did do one of those facebook live videos last Sunday at the Northern Soul afternoon at the Duke of York, but that was just to let a couple of people who hadn't come know what they were missing.

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

Can anybody get a bloody page to load while in the ground anyway? I get good 4g signal, but nothing will load up.

Put your phone away. 

I've gave up using my Phone at the match. Takes 3 minutes to load a FaceBook page if you're very lucky. Impossible to load SkySportsCentre without waiting a good 10 minutes again if you're lucky. Would like to do bets whilst watching the game though. Would of won a fortune on Saturday!

Archived