TalkSport - Richard Keogh

Sith Happens

Just now, TroyDyer said:

That's what annoys me. You think I want to think he's ****?  I want to loverthrow him. I want to shout his name. I want to watch him lift the championship. 

But it will never happen. And I am as gutted as anyone about that. 

Well you appeared quite happy to come on here after a poor game of his and make a silly comment about it in response to me, so yes, I do think you take enjoyment in being able to say 'I told you so.' 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh was poor today but I'm not going to criticise him because he didn't hide away like a few players did in the first half. He tried to take responsibility and play his normal game by being the enforcer from the back. It didn't help that the midfield in the first half were awful, I reckon even I would have got the passed them the way they were playing so Keogh and Pearce were always left 2 v 2 against Abraham and Taylor 

23 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Well you appeared quite happy to come on here after a poor game of his and make a silly comment about it in response to me, so yes, I do think you take enjoyment in being able to say 'I told you so.' 

Then you are wrong. I want the club to win. 

21 hours ago, Andicis said:

Surely that means he HAS proved his critics of that period wrong? The ones who demanded we sell him, saying he was a terrible defender etc, by the way he is playing now has just proven that the scapegoating of him was totally unjustified and maybe to look at the players around him? 

Not at all. He was a liability at the time in many games. Most of his critics (not all, some were daft) were absolutely correct. After Paul Clement got hold of him he improved hugely and many of those who felt he was letting the side down at the time by his ill discipline, diving in inappropriately and inability to stand still and hold his position have changed their view. They were right then and right now.

Personally, I think he is an OK defender, if I did have one criticism it's that when he brings the ball forward on one of his runs, he often doesn't seem to have much idea about what he is going to do with it. 

17 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Not at all. He was a liability at the time in many games. Most of his critics (not all, some were daft) were absolutely correct. After Paul Clement got hold of him he improved hugely and many of those who felt he was letting the side down at the time by his ill discipline, diving in inappropriately and inability to stand still and hold his position have changed their view. They were right then and right now.

Personally, I think he is an OK defender, if I did have one criticism it's that when he brings the ball forward on one of his runs, he often doesn't seem to have much idea about what he is going to do with it. 

That is a pretty fair assessment of him during 14/15, I'll accept that he used to make regular errors that were proving costly, which is a fact of many players in the end of 14/15 season. However, I don't think that they would still be right now. I think Keogh is one of the best all round defenders in the league, if you're implying that he still dives in with ill discipline during this season then I personally disagree. 

As a championship club, I don't think it's feasible that Derby are going to get a better defender than Keogh as a whole. Sure there are players like Shackell who are better defensively, but his passing from the back is woeful a lot of the time. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

That is a pretty fair assessment of him during 14/15, I'll accept that he used to make regular errors that were proving costly, which is a fact of many players in the end of 14/15 season. However, I don't think that they would still be right now. I think Keogh is one of the best all round defenders in the league, if you're implying that he still dives in with ill discipline during this season then I personally disagree. 

As a championship club, I don't think it's feasible that Derby are going to get a better defender than Keogh as a whole. Sure there are players like Shackell who are better defensively, but his passing from the back is woeful a lot of the time. 

No, I was saying he has removed that side of his game. I agree with you that he is about as good as we can get in the Championship. He has listened to what coaches have told him and is a different player now which is what you would always hope from a good professional who wants to improve.

Just now, bcnram said:

No, I was saying he has removed that side of his game. I agree with you that he is about as good as we can get in the Championship. He has listened to what coaches have told him and is a different player now which is what you would always hope from a good professional who wants to improve.

Ah, was wondering if I misunderstood your point. I agree on Keogh having improved a lot since then, he seems to be a model professional in terms of work ethic and commitment, also always shows the fans appreciation without fail. Let's hope he continues to improve himself and get even better!

8 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Felt bad for Keogh after watching this, the guy has so much passion for the club and 'supporters' **** on him.

This could do with its own topic and thread as a 'Derby County Captain Appreciation Thread'. The man obviously cares, and gives his all.

Not a massive Keogh fans but not a hater now, he has shown he can play so fair dues to him. 

This forum needs him, more threads/posts about Keogh than just about any other player.

On another note, I get pretty passionate in my posting style sometimes. I have noticed the name calling slipping in now and then from posters.. one in particular (not you @Alpha) We can all post in the heat of the moment and then the edit button does not work after a couple of mins when you have had time to reflect. I can push the boundaries but if I cross the line with name calling, I apologise unreservedly.. I don't think I have but I might have ..:ermm:

On Adrian Durham, he is just doing a job.. Sometimes the topic will interest me, no problem. Sometime I will flip over to another station.. If he was having a dig at Fawaz, I doubt many would take offence and the posts on here would be completely different.. People take things too personally in my opinion.. 

8 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Felt bad for Keogh after watching this, the guy has so much passion for the club and 'supporters' **** on him.

Me too.

Our fans spend so long telling ourselves how great our support is but when you are one of your key players talking like this it really is an eye opener. 

5 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

yes i think most championship clubs would break the bank to get him definately our most consistant player over the last ten years and atrue stalwart!

Why don't they then? Why does no one bid for the best defender in the league? 

7 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Why don't they then? Why does no one bid for the best defender in the league? 

A really poor argument, with no evidence to back it up I guess. I'm sure I could throw out names of hundreds of good players that have not had any bids reported in the media.

In recent times Keogh has been rumoured to be subject to integer from Fulham, Burnley and Newcastle. 

Now let's get down to talking facts instead of personal opinions, how has the team managed to break a club record with such a liability in the team?

How's has he managed to hoodwink, 3 different managers into keeping his spot in the team for 120 consecutive games?

How has he managed to hoodwink fans at every club he has played for and win POTY?

How has he managed to hoodwink 2 international managers into picking him for ROI? 

At the age of 30 how has he managed to rack up 500 career appearances?

Yesterday you pretty much said that you made your mind up about him at a pre season game against Mansfield. I would suggest you look at all of the above facts and see which is the better indicator of how Keogh is judged by people with a lot more football insight than you and I will ever have.

Archived