George Clooney

Tony Le Mesmer

3 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

My dad died aged 55. I was just into my twenties. I keep hearing that everyone is living longer nowadays and still can't help think they're lying.

That's young Tony. I am sorry. Looks like he made a decent son though ! 

I am certain we are living longer but what disturbs me is that some of the drugs that prolong life don't necessarily prolong a quality of life. I have seen both sides. A lovely guy I Used to work with had a long standing heart condition but apart from that was a vibrant, fun and inspiring man. They finally decided to operate on his aneurism when he was in his late 70's It was on the verge of exploding .. It have him 6 great years of full power and enthusiasm until time caught up in an instant 

then an elderly relative who is rattling with pills, pain, misery and decline. The medical intervention which works is (in my mind) prolonging agony

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Some good posts here and very interesting that they are challenging my rigid beliefs about the subject. I probably did blanket all over 50's who have kids as selfish and I can't get away from that but what I can do is learn to accept a little more peoples decisions and why they do them and try not to be so judgemental.

Certainly some interesting and at the same time thought provoking posts by Lester ,Ossie and Wolfie in particular.

I do however though still think Des O'Connor is a d*ck. I'm unmovable on that one.

It's an interesting point that older folk are much much wiser and maybe in a better position to bring up kids than I first thought.

well i'm split, my mates parents were much younger than mine but were god damn awful, one was on the game and never saw the kids and another one was as rough as sandpaper, each kid had a different old man and none stayed around long enough to bond, so I would say I was fairly lucky in that way.

I would say this and I feel totally ashamed of myself, I never bought home friends because my mum was old and she was vastly overweight (32 stone) and I didn't want to be ribbed for it, school was hostile at the best of times and I didn't want the flack, I always regretted that, probably says more about me than my previous 3600 posts, maybe I have always been a ruthless ******* and not just hardened with life.

I have always wanted to be a dad that could play sport and join in with activities with my kids. Yet I would not feel it fair to bring a child into this world if I was not in a position to provide a secure and safe environment to grow up in. I am incredibly lucky that in my late 20's I still get to play football, tennis and other sports with my dad who is mid 60s. It is not something I really appreciated when I was younger but now I treasure every second of it and I think understand what it means to my dad. I drive an hour each week just to play football with my dad, when he stops I will find somewhere closer!

Through working in a school I see an awful lot of parents who take such little interest in their child, both younger and older parents. Saddens me greatly.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

It's not always a choice.

I would have loved to have had kids in my 20's - early 30's but it didn't happen with my first wife. When me & the current Mrs Wolfie got together, we were both approaching our 40's, both tried for kids before & both failed, so we went into marriage with our eyes open that it probably wouldn't happen for us. 9 months later we got a fabulous little girl, who changed the world for both of us. We were 40 at the time & It's a shame that there won't be any more now - if only we'd met a few years earlier.....

I do sometimes feel like an old dad when I meet others at kids parties etc, with me being 5-10 years older than most of the others but I think we've been better, more patient and relaxed parents by being that bit older, though of course I can only compare me with what I was like a few years ago to reach that conclusion.

Surely you had Cubs and not Kids? Kids would make you Goatie and not Wolfie.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 17:17, LesterRam said:

how do the kids get on with each other?

Absolutely brilliant. The eldest basically grew up an only child, so it was weird for him at 14 to find himself a brother, but thankfully he embraced it and was mature enough by that age to not feel put out by it. I frequently feel myself welling up when I watch them interact these days (they are 6 and 21). But I shouldn't admit that in a public forum should I? :lol:

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Absolutely brilliant. The eldest basically grew up an only child, so it was weird for him at 14 to find himself a brother, but thankfully he embraced it and was mature enough by that age to not feel put out by it. I frequently feel myself welling up when I watch them interact these days (they are 6 and 21). But I shouldn't admit that in a public forum should I? :lol:

fantastic, thanks for revealing, I'm posting naked pictures of me over the bonnet of a car next so don't worry about admitting things over a public forum :thumbsup:

On 10/02/2017 at 16:11, LesterRam said:

that mirrors my problems, my mum and dad moved into a retirement village when I left school at 16, imagine moving away from your mates and everybody local to you were 65 and over, my brothers and sisters had fled the nest well before I had even started secondary school and I used to hang out with my nephew, I have no relationship with my siblings, unfortunately.

I did become closer to my Father when my Mother had passed away, I was his main carer and returned from Malta to look after him and we had a right laugh about life but unfortunately he fell getting in the bath, he cracked his head wide open twenty minutes after I had left, he had a buzzer chain around his neck that bleeped my mobile when he was in distress and I was half way up the M1 at the time and I flew down the motorway at must have been in excess of 160mph but it was too late, he had gone.

That's a sad story mate, I don't know what to say, but you did your best.

Archived