Overrated films

AmericanRam

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also don't like Juno. Those cutesy Wes Anderson type indie films often seem to strike a balance between being good and annoying. Juno was just annoying.

I also don't like Oscar winning type schmaltz - so Shawshank Redemption (not sure if that did win but epitomises the type that does). I'd rather watch some blue collar cheese like Lock Up.

On 08/02/2017 at 17:50, sage said:

Top Gun. Pile of crap. 

Behave yourself!

I still cry when Goose dies and I've lost count how many times I've seen it.

Can't tell me you didn't join in with the family and sing great balls of fire!

Talking of which Meg Ryan hasn't aged well at all.

On 08/02/2017 at 12:26, David said:

A film has to be popular for it to be overrated otherwise it wouldn't be overrated?

Exactly. It's amazing how many people seemed to appear to not know what overrated means after Meryl Streep was described as overrated. People started listing how many awards she's won as a retort. 

5 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Exactly. It's amazing how many people seemed to appear to not know what overrated means after Meryl Streep was described as overrated. People started listing how many awards she's won as a retort. 

Yeeeeessssss ..... but you have to respect market forces/£££$$$$ taken as a way of keeping score.

You can have a 'dark intense genius' and an 'undiscovered soulful voice', but if you only have 17 Youtube likes and get mentioned once on BBC4 at 1.35am, I'm afraid you will have to go back to working at Asda.

I can stand outside Wembley and screech that Gary Barlow is overrated as more people go into watch Take That than go to watch an England friendly, but that's just my view.

29 minutes ago, David said:

Behave yourself!

I still cry when Goose dies and I've lost count how many times I've seen it.

Can't tell me you didn't join in with the family and sing great balls of fire!

Talking of which Meg Ryan hasn't aged well at all.

You chose to move to Cleethorpes. You make poor life choices therefore i cannot accept your argument.

4 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Yeeeeessssss ..... but you have to respect market forces/£££$$$$ taken as a way of keeping score.

You can have a 'dark intense genius' and an 'undiscovered soulful voice', but if you only have 17 Youtube likes and get mentioned once on BBC4 at 1.35am, I'm afraid you will have to go back to working at Asda.

I can stand outside Wembley and screech that Gary Barlow is overrated as more people go into watch Take That than go to watch an England friendly, but that's just my view.

I'm not sure why you're making the point you are doing, especially when considering you initially made the point to Daveo about commercially successful film franchises, as though him saying they were overrated was negated by how popular they were. Now you appear to be saying the only real barometer of being rated is how popular it is?

It's perhaps the most important barometer, we are a democracy after all. But I wouldn't discount the opinions of those in the industry considering they choose to make the films they do before giving themselves a big pat on the back for it, regardless of what us plebs think about their work. They funnel the money from the popular films they make into their own pet projects. One for them/one for me as it was described on Entourage.

There are different ways of being considered 'rated'. That's why there's are two distinct critics reviews and user reviews sections on sites like metacritic and rotten tomatoes.

My pick was Shawshank redemption. It didn't do well commercially initially but was a success critically. I consider it overrated by the critics and only now by the public. But always by the critics. If the public never embraced it I wouldn't be incorrect in describing it as overrated as it was embraced by a whole industry.

Anyway - 12 monkeys is another one for me. A lot of people love it. I did say I'd watch again which I haven't got round to doing. 

But I've seen it probably 4 times many years ago. I came to the conclusion it was a film built on about 3 unrealistic coincidences and it used these coincidences to masquerade as being clever. A shame as I like Terry Gilliams other films and I like sci-fi.

1 minute ago, StringerBell said:

I'm not sure why you're making the point you are doing, especially when considering you initially made the point to Daveo about commercially successful film franchises, as though him saying they were overrated was negated by how popular they were. Now you appear to be saying the only real barometer of being rated is how popular it is?

It's perhaps the most important barometer, we are a democracy after all. But I wouldn't discount the opinions of those in the industry considering they choose to make the films they do before giving themselves a big pat on the back for it, regardless of what us plebs think about their work. They funnel the money from the popular films they make into their own pet projects. One for them/one for me as it was described on Entourage.

There are different ways of being considered 'rated'. That's why there's are two distinct critics reviews and user reviews sections on sites like metacritic and rotten tomatoes.

My pick was Shawshank redemption. It didn't do well commercially initially but was a success critically. I consider it overrated by the critics and only now by the public. But always by the critics. If the public never embraced it I wouldn't be incorrect in describing it as overrated as it was embraced by a whole industry.

The point I'm making regards the definition of overrated - 

'Overrate' - 

verb

past tense: overrated; past participle: overrated

have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.

"an overrated player"

'Opinion' - 

noun

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

"that, in my opinion, is right"

I respect @David  's view that he thinks LOTR, Star Wars, Potter and the Lion King are overrated. The point I am making is that if you want to find some way of keeping score, $$$$$ is the way, as it represents a lot of people's entertainment choices (so its democratic), and therefore how they rate it personally.

I agree in part with you that nominations/awards are an iffy way of 'rating', as its peer regulated. 

12 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

The point I'm making regards the definition of overrated - 

'Overrate' - 

verb

past tense: overrated; past participle: overrated

have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.

"an overrated player"

'Opinion' - 

noun

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

"that, in my opinion, is right"

I respect @David  's view that he thinks LOTR, Star Wars, Potter and the Lion King are overrated. The point I am making is that if you want to find some way of keeping score, $$$$$ is the way, as it represents a lot of people's entertainment choices (so its democratic), and therefore how they rate it personally.

I agree in part with you that nominations/awards are an iffy way of 'rating', as its peer regulated. 

I think we broadly agree then but I'm not strictly against people including critically popular films on this thread as being considered overrated. Nor films that aren't that popular generally but have a devoted cult following. 

Archived